Monday, October 11, 2010

Hats A Plenty, Hats Galore

Well maybe not galore. But enough.

I had some leftover fleece from Chunky's vest and I didn't really have ROOM for leftover fleece from Chunky's vest where I keep my fabric.

What to do?

How about some Half Hour Hats for Hatcircus? (Check out the Fall issue of Knitcircus for details). They'll keep a few tiny kindergartner heads warm with my scrap hats.

100_9635

But wait! One of these things is not like the others! One of these things just doesn't belong!

Yeah that would be a hat I knit as a gift for someone that after I finished it, just didn't seem like a good fit.

Not because there's anything wrong with the hat. It just doesn't click.

100_9636

So now some lucky gradeschooler in WI who lost/forgot/doesn't have a winter hat will get it.

I guess Wisconsin kids actually get recess in the winter. These wussy New Jersey kids seem to have indoor recess 50% of the time in the winter. Sad.

I tell Chunky if we ever move back up to Alaska, he's going to have to learn to play in the cold because they don't have indoor recess unless it's multiple degrees below zero. Not just because it's raining!

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Same with Willow. I know BC's Lower Mainland isn't as cold as Alaska, but the only time we didn't have outside recess was when we had torrential monsoons. I don't remember ever being kept in because of cold or snow.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

We definately were never kept in unless of tons of rain. The teachers wanted a break! ;) Nice hats, great way to use up those leftovers!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I agree that kids have it easy nowadays!

My son's school doesn't send the kids out for recess when the temperature is below 30. I'm not sure about my daughter's school. When I was in elementary school here in Cleveland, we went outside for recess every single day, unless it rained. No exceptions for freezing weather. I remember huddling with the other girls in a pitiful attempt to keep warm. We used to try to stand by the school door (where a little bit of warm air would blow out), but the lunch monitors wouldn't let us.

I can honestly only remember a couple of snow days too in my 9 years of (Catholic) elementary school too. I remember walking to/from school (and we lived a mile from the school) in some real blizzard like conditions. Now it seems like my kids get a ton of snow days.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Forgot to add, cute hats, by the way!

10:07 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Awesome hats!

Ah recesses in LA schools...yup, we were not allowed out when it rained. I mean, hello? Rain in LA was so rare that we seriously had no clue.

On the Big Island of Hawai'i though, rain was a lifestyle. And the covered walkways were more than enough for the kids to hang out in for the daily downpours, cuz yeah, I lived for the breaks some days :).

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute hats!

Well, the reason they don't go outside for recess is cause some parent sent their kid to school with no coat, hat, gloves, and boots and then sued the school for making the kid play outside. When the court sided with the parent the school took the case to the Supreme Court and the court ruled in favor of the parents. The court said you don't have to have common sense to have kids. Case is closed and the kids sit inside and don't get any exercise.

Love, Mom

11:56 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I can't speak for NJ, because we do have outdoor recess, but in NY, a lot of the outdoor recess area is taken up by buildings, so they either have indoor recess, or no recess at all. The last elementary school that I went to, and where my siblings went, built an annex to the school in the lot where recess was held, and I know that it's a very big issue for a lot of parents that recess has been taken away. So, it's not just because we're wussies. :)

7:11 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

I honestly don't remember what we had re: indoor vs. outdoor recess. I'm just sad that all the awesome playground equipment of my youth has been replaced with stuff that's "safe." Humbug.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Piper's school has recess all winter long. The only time they are allowed to stay in is when it is raining. The school sends a note home sometime in October reminding the parents to send gloves, hats, and scarves before those kids will be outside even when it's freezing. I think it's great! Her old school had them inside all the time which stunk. The kids really need that hour to get all that energy out.

Great hats! The mitten pattern linked is great too.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home