Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Play Ball!

I don't know cat poop about baseball.

I know the general rules, but I don't follow it. But it's fun to go to games, and it's fun to make baseball-themed things for little boys.

This past summer I was paid some reparations money for whoring my soul out at the slight expense of my family.

As such, I always feel that guilt that when I come into extra money, I can't splurge it all on myself.

So while I was splurging my whore bucks at Joanns (oh and what a trek you have to take to get to a Joanns in North Jersey if you don't feel like going to Staten Island!) this summer, I bought some fleece with plans to make the vest from this pattern for Chunky.

It's finally getting a bit chilly out so I started it on Sunday and finished it last night.

100_9616

Woo! It's not the best. I'll play the "It's My First Time Sewing Fleece" card. In actuality, I'm just not that great a seamstress.

And I'm OK with that.

Chunky loves what I made him. I have such an awesome kid! I really don't know if every kid would dig such a vest.

He dug it so much, he slept in it last night!

Home run!!!

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

very nifty! that's a really nice pattern on the fleece too.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

He sounds like such an awesome kid. The vest looks perfect to me too.

Which Joanns did you go to? Colonia?

8:25 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Rockin' vest! You are far more adventurous than I...I find zippers super hard and end up sewing them in by hand...and as that takes way too long...I never end up finishing what I start.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Cool vest! Fleece/knit fabrics isn't the most fun to sew this I know ;)

9:44 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Very cute, and how great that Chunky appreciates your handmade items!

My son has been waiting almost 3 years for a blanket I started crocheting for him. I never finished it because I messed up the pattern, the yarn was just too scratchy, and I ran out of two of the colors I was using anyway. Not to mention that I get bored quickly with big projects.

Everytime he sees the half-finished blanket, he gets pouty and tells me how he needs a blanket for his cold bedroom (and of course, to hold on to and suck his thumb - I need to break of him of the thumb sucking, seeing as he's 7 now, but I can't bring myself to do it). I need to break down and just either finish it or start another blanket for him.

10:36 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

MLB playoffs start tomorrow (Wednesday), which officially makes this one of my very favorite times of the year. I'm not a huge baseball fan during the regular season, but I'll rearrange my life (a little) to watch the baseball playoffs.

Great vest! I'm in awe of your clothes-sewing skills as always!

10:36 PM  
OpenID artfulstarfish said...

Looks great from here! We are baseball freaks here so that would go over big in this house!

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That vest looks jawsome!! And Chunky makes it look even better!! Seperating zippers are a lot easier than dress zippers. (I think anyway.)
Love, Mom

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

It is cute!
Fleece is tough to sew, my trick is to lengthen the stitch a lot. I don't see anything glaringly wrong with it so I think you're being a tough critic!

7:53 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very cool vest! congrats on making the trek to joanns.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I love it when kids appreciate things.

11:47 AM  
Blogger janna said...

The vest is very cute, and I think you've raised a really good kid.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Bad seamstress? What are you talking about? It looks great! You made a garment your son will actually wear. That's a major success!! =)

8:08 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

It's great! When Owen was that age I made him some polar fleece vests. Then he came home and told me he was taking orders from his friends and he was going to sell them for $5 each! "Just think of how much money I'll make!!!" I tried to tell him that I wasn't going to sew vests for him to sell for less than the cost of materials. That was an interesting discussion.

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home