Monday, October 25, 2010

Sock It To Me, Or Not

Hi my name is Bezzie and for my book report I read Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders, edited by Judith Durant.

100_9718

Since I really enjoyed 101 One Skein Wonders (I don't have the Luxury or Designer version of this book) and I a) have a lot of sock yarn and b) love, love, love small projects, I decided to buy this.

I bought this sight-unseen. I actually even pre-ordered it. HUGE for me. Usually I don't take such a risk.

But I gotta say, it was a risk that paid off.

The book is broken up into themed chapters: From Head to Toe; It's a Wrap!; Knits for Kids; Bag It and More.

I found at least one project in each chapter I could see myself knitting.

100_9719

The Socrates Gloves from the Head to Toe chapter.

Most of the scarves and shawls in the "It's a Wrap" chapter were kind of ho-hum. I'm not really a shawl person and the scarves seemed to me like they were all just taken from stitch pattern books. A couple were even knit in two halves and grafted in the middle at the end. Blech. No thanks. The joy of scarves is no finishing aside from weaving in ends!

But I did like this scarf.

100_9720

The Lettuce Slide Scarf. I'm a sucker for uniquely constructed things.

The Knits for Kids chapter was dominiated by knits for girls (surprise surprise!) with a few token items in there for boys.

I found myself drawn to this little number for girls though:

100_9721

It's like a Lizard Ridge jumper! See above comment about uniquely constructed items. Ha ha!

I also dug the knit blocks they had.

100_9722

I know there's like a million freebie patterns out there for knit blocks, but this will be nice to have right at my fingertips (no searching online!) when I'm sick of knitting baby sweaters or blankets or trying to do the math on how big a summer born baby will be for a sweater come fall.
There are a few other items I liked and could see myself knitting in there, but we'll keep this review short-ish.

Don't let the name of the book fool you either--there are a few sock patterns in there!

My only gripe with the book is a weak one. For many (not all) of the items that need to be sized (for example the baby clothes), they only give one sizing. Or a broad range of sizing--like a hat will fit a 6 to 24 month old kid. Yeah, right. Not my large headed offspring!

But like I said, weak argument because the designers were working with a fixed amount of yarn--of course they're not going to be able to knit something ranging in size from 3 months old to 24 moths.

Overall? Great purchase and definitely worth a thumb-through next time you're at your local bookstore, library or LYS!

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that I have seen that book come through our library!!! Dang there goes the Christmas gift!
Love, Mom

11:49 PM  
Blogger ~RaenWa~ said...

Your blog is the second one where I have read a review on this book & after hearing you talk about it I want it even more I will have to get my hands on this book for sure.

12:43 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

That looks like a great addition to the library!

6:22 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I'm getting this one - I have my 40% off Borders coupon in my hot little hand :)

Lord knows I have enough sock yarn in my stash...

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Rocky Moreno said...

I just bought that book, good idea. Who doesn't have sock yarn?

8:57 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

thanks for the review! that scarf is really cute.

10:15 AM  
Blogger janna said...

Ha! I just agreed to write a book review (of a work-related book which I'm sure will be highly informative and dry as dust) and it occurred to me that I hadn't done anything like that since grade school book reports!

Anyway - I'm glad you liked this book. I had been considering it, but haven't seen it. I trust your opinion!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Those blocks are adorable! I was debating on getting the original One Skein book. Worth it, eh? Maybe I'll splurge.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I went and got her book, with her autograph of course,,, at Rhinebeck. It helped also, that I did such a thing after visiting The Fold,,,,,,,,,,

Dont ask!

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home