Friday, October 01, 2010

Take 2

Last October I blogged every day.

Coming out of the summer blog slump, why not try it again this year?

Plus this October is a special anniversary. The end of this month marks the 5th anniversary of this blog.

Woah.

We'll start the fun with a story Chunky told me when he got home today.

It went a little something like this. Strap in. It's long, it's rambling and it's downright infuriating.

It's 8:15 to 8:20 a.m. and Chunky's waiting in line for school to start when a pack of five boys descends upon him.

The pack consists of two fourth graders and three second graders (Chunky's in 3rd grade).

They proceed to pants him and shove him to the ground.

He scraped his knee up pretty bad and they pantsed him so hard they RIPPED one of the belt loops on his jeans. Thank god that they were holey jeans. Thank god Dr. Mad Scientist hadn't been paid* yet and I hadn't been able to buy him any new pants for school.

Ok, that seems kind of trite to say, my boy was pantsed and shoved to the ground by a pack of boys and all I can think of are his pants.

But it shows how rough these little fucktards were.

Chunky proceeded to stay low on the ground until one of the punk's older sister came by to break up the scuffle.

Once he got into school he asked his teacher if he could go to the nurse's office to get his knee bandaged. She asked him what happened. So he told her.

She told him to go to the nurse's office and then to the principal's office to report what occurred.

He did.

After waiting half an hour for the principal (after having been in the nurse's office for 10 or so minutes) he finally got in to see her.

And she had to pawn him off to Mr. Murphy the "problem solver" as Chunky called him because the principal had a meeting to go to. He's actually a guidance counselor.

Apparently they pulled in six boys to get their side of the story.

The pack of five that were involved and another kid they pantsed.

End result?

Four boys got one day of detention, one got two days of detention, and one got nothing.

Oddly, the one that didn't get anything was part of the pack of five who had an inkling of a conscious and tried to pull the boys off Chunky, but backed off once he realized that they had progressed from physical violence to just laughing at him. The other pantsing victim also got detention because he fought back.

Allegedly, if these boys get in trouble again they will be suspended.

And Chunky? While he was at the nurse's and principal's office he missed a test his class was given. He had to skip music class to make it up.

Grrr.

I think Dr. Mad Scientist (who heard the story from Chunky as they were driving home) said it best: "This makes me really mad Chunky, but you can bet your mom's going to be even madder."

The best part of this story is that the boy that got two days of detention? When Chunky was in 1st grade that same little fuck got in trouble for pelting Chunky with rocks on the playground.

Two years and the little shit hasn't changed. Huh.

I personally think these little fuckers got off easy.

I think Chunky handled the situation wonderfully; he admitted he really wanted to punch these kids, but didn't.

During the rock-throwing incident, I got a call from the principal--because Chunky threw a rock back. He only got a verbal warning--the rock kid was punished harder. I'm not sure how though.

Moral of the story: You can't fight back. And we told him that in first grade after the rock incident.

He obviously learned.

Too bad the leader of the pack today didn't.

I think I'm going to call the principal or drop her an email on Monday because in my opinion, even though Chunky was alright, I think this deserved a call home to at least alert me of the situation.

Sometimes I wonder how we were so lucky to get a kid like Chunky.

He's such a smart and friendly kid.

Shit, just today one of the math teachers at Dr. Mad Scientist's school that lives in our neighborhood and has a pair of sons who go to Chunky's school stopped him at school to introduce herself.

When she did, she commented how much her son (incidentally also named Chunky--ha ha!) really looked up to our Chunky. She said it wasn't often she saw older kids making friends with younger kids.

100_9576
I love this picture. It was taken by Moochie of his big brother!

I feel sorry for those five punks. I hope their parents can help them before it's too late.




*That problem was solved!! Sort of--he got his first paycheck today! It was only seven days short of what they owe him. But hey, beggars can't be choosers, money is money!

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

It must have been very hard not wanting to fight back. Cripes, here I thought pantsing someone wasn't still done anymore. Creeps! Love the picture by Moochie ;)

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Cow!! I would have fought back like a tigar!! That sure makes me proud that he didn't and that he is OK! What would the Princapal do if say they had cracked his skull, cause he didn't fight back and just took it? There is such a thing as self defense and when it is 5 against one I think you should be able to defend yourself!

Is that Moochie's finger in the top of the picture? For not being two years old yet he got a good picture of his big brother.

Love, Mom

11:50 PM  
Blogger Poops said...

I think the restraint you showed by not going over there and letting the parents know just what you think of them was a model of self-restraint.

Fighting back with fists is never appropriate. But if you can teach him the subtle art of the mindfuck, he'll be okay.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

I HATE bullying. My sons' elementary school has a problem too, although they haven't been affected (yet! I know it's just a matter of time - they are nice boys, like your Chunky). The school is trying to incorporate teaching respect for others wherever they can. It's a parental problem though, like you say.
Fuckwits!

7:30 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

I've got an inkling that those parents can't help their kids because they're bullies themselves. After working in retail for 2 years where parents would often bring in their kids, I learned to hate the parents not the kids. Ha!

Good for Chunky! While life may be hard (crappy parents, being bullied, etc.) it's no excuse to make the life of some one else hard, too.

-T.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

That makes me so mad. Poor Chunky.
But I have to tell you, I don't believe in this no fighting back stuff because then the kids will do it again. Lasy year there was one little girl who would tease Pi verbally and she just ignored it. Then one day she pushed Pi and Pi didn't fight back. I told her that if anyone touched her, she should fight back and if she gets in trouble in school, I'll talk to them because she sure as heck won't get in trouble at home. Long story longer, this little girl tried to kick her and thankfull missed. So she shoved Pi and pulled her hair. Pi got pissed and shoved/pulled her hair back and told the girl that if she touched her again, she'd fight right back. This little girl hasn't said boo to Piper since. Bullies will pick on the kids that they think won't fight back. I don't advocate fighting, but sometimes a kid needs to stand up for him/herself and show the bully that they're not the kid who is going to just take it.

8:02 AM  
OpenID pyewacketsid said...

****RAGE****

So glad Chunky is okay. If finances ever allow you to look into martial arts, I recommend aikido. There's no striking in it, so a witness would be hard-pressed to say that Chunky "fought back" (and I agree, getting punished for defending yourself is a steaming pile of bullshit). Aikido teaches you get out of the way and use the attackers' momentum to land them on the ground.

RIP THEM A NEW ONE for not calling you. They damn well better have a plan for dealing with future incidents. I know it's too much to hope that they'd have a plan for prevention.

Chunk-man is awesome.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Fucktards? I love it! Poor Chunky!

Sadly, I'm not surprised about those punks attacking Chunky. My daughter got harassed in 2nd grade by two little brats (er, there's a another "b" word I'd rather call them) who were best friends, and just decided for no reason that they didn't like her. Luckily her teacher met with the girls and her parents and put a stop to it. I ended up taking her out of that school after 5th grade, because of all the nasty, snobby kids. Anyway, it still astounds me to see kids in cliques already by 2nd grade.


When I hear/see kids like that, and the ones who attacked Chunky, it makes me wonder what kinds of things these parents are teaching their kids at home. I hope Chunky doesn't have any more problems with those kids.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I'd have been fuming too. How crappy CHunky can't actually fight back without getting in trouble.

I can't really see these kids' parents being all that concerned sadly.

Cute picture of Chunky- he has the best smile.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

You are the parent, but I would have wanted my kid to fight back whether he got detention or not. But I believe in an eye for an eye.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

I'm glad Chunky is basically OK physically and emotionally, if not so much sartorially. He's my hero! Nonviolent resistance in 3rd grade seems VERY advanced to me.

When you talk to the principal, it might be worth mentioning this isn't the first incident with the ringleader.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

See - that's hard. On one hand you want kids to stand up for themselves - but on the other hand, the system punishes them for that as well. Chunky did well - and I hate that anything like that happens under the protection of the school day.

6:16 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Wow. Go, Chunky! That's freakin' awesome that he acted in such an adult fashion.

9:28 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Well done, Chunky! Not only did you not let them get the better of you, you did the right thing and told the Teacher and the Principal (and GC) what happened. So many kids get bullied and never say a thing. They just suffer in silence and let the bullies win. Not Chunky. Well, done buddy.

12:53 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

What Cristi said!

7:31 PM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

Not only is he cute as a bug's ear, he's brilliant!!

When the principal calls you back, I'd "innocently" ask what their school policy on "bullying" is. Don't forget to ask about cyber-bullying......they need to be put on notice. The art of the mindfuck is the best revenge.... (Thanks Poops.)

9:15 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

It's so hard to see your kid go through the crap. And hard to be patient with school policy and school administrators sometimes, too.

Chunky seems like a terrific kid. Keep up the good work.

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home