Monday, November 08, 2010

Twist of Citrus

Daylight savings ended this weekend.

What did I do with my extra hour?

Aside dealing with a cranky Mooch that turns into a rotten pumpkin at the stroke of 7:15 p.m.? (Which would have been 8:15 p.m. like it was on Saturday).

I baked some cookies.

100_9781

Chocolate orange cookies.

Sweet mother of Fatzah--these are good!

I was seduced by the siren song of a box of $3.99 tangerines two weeks ago. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

That will teach me for not waiting for tangerines. The great deal I scored was a box of uber-seedy tangerines. They weren't much fun to eat.

But they WERE fun to juice and grind the rind off of.

I've got some rind drying in the cupboard right now.

Want the recipe? Here's what you do: take your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe add 1/3 of a cup of unsweetened powdered cocoa, two tablespoons of orange juice, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of grated orange peel (orange zest).

Bang! Chocolate orange cookies.

I've been on a big orange kick lately as you will soon see (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

I also took this weekend to do the annual sealing of the house.

100_9785
I had my little helper with me--until the hair dryer came out and he freaked the hell out and ran from it.

Basement Neighbor says that this house only heats on one side. We're not sure what side we're hoping heats. The bedrooms would be nice, but we spend more time in the living room.

Guess we won't find out til at least December 1st if this holds true.

This year I used a FrostKing window sealant kit.

It was a bit pricier than what I have used in the past--Duck Brand and 3M--but I really really liked it. The kit came with nine sheets that were pre-cut. Duck and 3M were pre-cut but not in so many sheets. I got cleaner seals with the FrostKing stuff. And only our middle picture window there in the living room you see Mr. Mooch helping me with took 2 sheets.


The only downside to the FrostKing kit is I didn't get to invent colorful new swear words when I hung it like I did with the Duck Brand and 3M kits.

You can tell the economy still isn't doing so hot.

Why?


Because two years ago, you couldn't find window shrink film at Home Despot. I remember going there two years ago and an associate directing me and another guy looking for the same thing to the paint department trying to convince us that we could tape a clear plastic dropcloth over the windows for the same effect.

Duct tape and a plastic dropcloth? Dude, we're just trying to save a buck, not keep out Nuclear Holocaust fallout.

This weekend though they had a whole giagantic display of window mold sealant, a/c covers, and proper window film and signs boasting about how much you could save on your energy bills!

WOO! Because you know, the electric company won't find other ways to jack you out of your hard earned money by estimating your meter reading or anything! (Insert eye rolling here).

Of course my local Home Despot is staffed by effing jacknards. I'm not surprised. I went there to get a key cut one weekend only to be told "Yeah we cut keys--oh but not today because the guy who cuts keys didn't show up for work today."

Because you know, apparently cutting keys is a magical skill that only some lazy doofus named "Tom" can do, and when "Tom" doesn't feel like coming into work, well no one can get keys.

But I digress.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

LOL - I hate Home Depot (or Home Despot) too! The employees at Lowe's (or least the Lowe' around here in the Cleveland area) seem much more competent. I need to get some window film soon too. Old houses are beautiful, but they don't stay very warm in the winter.

Those orange chocolate chip cookies sound delicious, by the way!

9:02 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe..love your name for Home Despot! I got the same response for keys one day too! The cookies look delicious, will have to remember that one!

9:18 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

I hate Home Despot too. But I'm lucky I have a fabulous independent/local hardware store in my neighborhood with a Lowe's to back it up.

I'd love to get an energy audit of our house, but then again I know what our biggest problem is: There's 1/2" of daylight between the bottom of our door to the back porch and the door frame. I'm hoping the "as seen on TV" double-snake door thingy actually works. Otherwise we're stuck until we do our reno (and get it fixed then)

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no opinion on Home Despot! We don't go there very much cause they are out of the way as where Lowes is right on the way to everything.

Those cookies sound and look good!!

See! Moochie is turning into quite a helper!!

Love, Mom

11:45 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

uh, don't they just stick the key in the machine and it does all the work? when did they start requiring a rocket science degree to operate the machine?

7:31 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Drool.......

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I'm so glad we don't have to winterize. But man oh man do I wish we could afford to replace some of these old 1920s windows when it is cold! (and when it's h.o.t.)

12:41 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Damn - now you have me wanting something with Grand Marnier in it and I can't have that right now!

4:52 PM  
Blogger janna said...

The cookies look great - I'll be trying them! And I was going to seal windows this weekend, too, but the weather was so nice - close to 70 - that I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Moochie is afraid of the hair dryer?

7:16 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Yum cookies! They sound great.

Man, I need to get the window plastic too. I let hubby put it up because it makes me swear like a sailor.

7:44 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

ALL Home Depots are staffed with jacknards. I'm convinced their interview process consists of one question: "Do you know anything about hardware or home improvement? No? You're hired!"

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Mandy said...

Long time lurker of your blog. Have you tried bubble wrap on your windows? I stumbled across this and thought it was interesting. You cut bubble wrap to fit window, spray with water, and smush on bubble side out. Found it on builditsolar.com, interesting concept.

5:29 PM  
Blogger LBorealis said...

Huh, I think we need to seal the windows here, too. My hands and nose are cold and I'm too stubborn to go find the space heaters. But at least it's not 80 outside like last week.

I love Lowes and secretly wish I could be a key person or a paint mixer.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home