Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Twisted

Unlike what seems to be 99% of the rest of the country, here in Northern New Jersey, the kids are in school until December 23. Then they're back to school January 3.

Of course that 99% can suck it when the kids here have basically two spring breaks -- "winter break" and "spring break."

Because we're so close to Christmas the kids are basically on autopilot just biding their time till the 23rd.

It's a little hard to keep them engaged I guess.

Chunky came home complaining his seatmates kept distracting him by having pencil sharpening contests and yelling "Ch-ch-ch-chia!" all day long.

Honestly, that kind of sounds like life in my office, but I digress.

Dr. Mad Scientist was trying to come up with a decent lab for this week for his chemistry students that would be science-y but fun.

Behold--

100_9993

We made candy canes last night to test-run the recipe to see if it would actually work.

It was a lot of fun.

Apparently the lab went over well. It was a little hard to squish it into 40 minutes, but he said some kids actually had things resembling candy canes at the end. Ha ha!

Added bonus: No one got sugar burns!

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

I was wondering about that school thing myself - I was in Target mid-day today and it was full of school age kids with their parents, and I have no earthly school what district they were from, because all the ones around here are in session until 12/23.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Wish I'd had a science teacher like Dr. Mad Scientist. Making candy canes would have been awesome fun!

9:07 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

That sounds like an awesome experiment!

Poor kids. Pi is not happy that they go to school all the way through. The teachers are even giving tests this week, when all they can think about is presents, haha. Cruelty!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

It does seem like a lot of kids are out already and I don't get it. My kids went until the 23rd and then went back the first school day after Jan 1st.

The candy canes look amazing and fun.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Wow, they don't get out of school until the 23rd? My kids' last day was last Friday (the 17th, I think it was). They both go to Catholic schools though. I don't know when the public schools around here got out.

Normally Christmas breaks would be a problem for my husband and I, but this year my job is only open 3 days this week, and I had some vacation time left, so I asked for those 3 days off. Then the factory my husband works at is going to on shutdown next week (luckily he has a week of vacation time left so he'll still get paid), so he'll stay home with the kids next week.

For parents who don't have any vacation time, or don't get much, kids not getting out until the 23rd would work out great though.

Cool idea about the candy cane science experiment! Dr. M.S.'s class might end up becoming pretty popular with the kids.

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Dr. MS is going to be a favorite teacher :-)

Don't forget those of us who get a whole week off for Mardi Gras! That gives us two full weeks off next semester too. Not bad.

We got out Friday but a bunch of the schools around here are out today.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

when do other kids get out? Dan's got school til the 23rd. I always had school right up until Xmas when I was in school in NY. I don't know anything different.

And candy canes? I so wish I had a teacher like that!!

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy! Candy canes!! Reminds me of your Grandfather's science classes! Yay! Dr MS! He is going to be a favorite for science!

Love, Mom

5:55 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Dr. MS is the best chemistry teacher ever! (Sugar burns would be proof of poor lab technique.)

At my HS, some chem classes made peanut brittle before winter break. The only fun thing my class did was make soap. Mine was so strong it suitable for stripping paint, apparently because of incomplete saponification -- safety goggles on!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Ellie said...

Holy heck, I just realized you made CANDY. Sugar syrup scares the bejesus out of me - that's so awesome.
Merry Merry to you and your family!

4:09 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Cool lab project! Wow, mine have always been out about a week before..weird how different it is all over. Luckily hubby usually is in use/lose leave, so that helped when the kids were little...

10:41 PM  
Blogger ChestyLove said...

That's a great lab! I had a chemistry teacher who did the same thing with lollipops. Totally awesome lab, and you got to lick the results.

2:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home