Sunday, January 16, 2011

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezie

I had two new toys I wanted to try out yesterday.

1. My sourdough starter that has been working for over a week now; and

2. A microplane I bought myself (because I took a good chunk out of my thumb knuckle grating citrus peel on my normal cheese grater).

101_0002-2.jpg

Combining the two, I made "Lemony Morovian Sugar Bread."

100_9900-2.jpg

Because seriously, you didn't think I was going to make sourdough bread with my sourdough starter did you? What fun is that?

It's an interesting "bread."

It's sort of like a coffee cake made love to a loaf of bread and out popped this in nine months--or whatever the gestational period for bread is.

The bread is subtely tangy from the sourdough and lemon juice/zest and the brown sugar mixture on top adds just the right amount of sweetness without making the bread too sweet.

I'm having lots of fun with my sourdough starter. It's sort of like having a pet. I've got a couple other non-sourdough bread things in the pipeline.

Stay tuned!

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Hmm... I don't have a microplaner - and like you - I have removed skin trying to get zest before. I want some cake bread!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

Get out of my head woman... I've been desperate for a microplane for months, and am waiting until we get to the kitchen outlets to buy one (most likely in April around birthday time). Cake-bread is never a bad thing - it looks yummy :-)

10:26 AM  
Blogger janna said...

I swear, my microplane grater changed my life! I actually look for recipes where I need to grate something on it! I'd like to get a larger one for cheese, but right now, I even use the long skinny one for that.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That bread looks good! I am glad that you showed a picture of a microplaner...Didn't have any idea what that was.
Love, Mom

11:49 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

YUM! And the gestational period for a loaf of bread is approximately 3 hours. ;)

12:01 PM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

I love microplanes!!!! That cake bread looks fab, any chance you could send some over ;-)

12:20 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

I've never seen one of those microplane things. Interesting. Your bread looks yummy!

3:07 PM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

I like your microplaner. I have a 'zester', like a peeler, but with 4 little holes in the top instead of one long blade. No skin removal involved in that baby either :0)

4:04 PM  
Blogger ~RaenWa~ said...

That looks pretty yummy. I can't wait to see what else you are going to make.

1:08 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Quit rubbing sugar in my wound!

Yesterday, I bought grocery store bakery cookies. It was a sad day indeed. The company cleaning our stuff should expedite all of my baking supplies!

7:02 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

That looks good and I'm not a sourdough fan.

I've never had a microplane. Did you like it? Was it better? I always figure my food tastes better if I add just a bit of my own blood.

8:39 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

i have a microplaner. and i still manage to scrap skin off with it. note to self: must learn proper usage of microplaner.

12:23 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Well, you do have to feed it regularly, right? Good thing it doesn't need to be walked!

2:57 PM  
OpenID vivupnorth said...

That bread looks amazing! I'm going to have to try a sourdough starter. Knew some people who had one that originated in Alaska - its name was Homer!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Sounds tasty. I'm on a yeast bread kick myself, could it be the weather is beyond French toast?

8:31 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

the right tools make ajob sooooo much easier! nteresting breadlike food. Kinda like paetonne. Is it cake? is it bread? don't care, it's TASTY!

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home