Sunday, January 30, 2011

Fare Thee Well

If you know me, you'll know I'm not into kitchen appliances.

I've got four that I use.

My Kitchen Aid hand mixer that I love so much that I'll never convert to a bulky, impersonal stand mixer.

My waffle iron. I mean, waffles. What more is there to say?

My crockpot that has delivered me from the drudgery of having to prepare dinners on that dreaded of weeknights where Dr. Mad Scientist has an early AA meeting and it's bath/shower night for the boys.

And finally, our George Foreman grill.

Which cooked its final grilled cheese yesterday afternoon.

100_9933-2.jpg

Where do I start?

George was given to us as a Christmas present by Dr. Mad Scientist's older brother who came to visit us when Chunky was just an infant.

We tried to make burgers on George like the instructions said.

It made great burgers. But it also made a great mess. The little grease cup had to be positioned just right and could easily overflow with grease. Which made for some interesting culinary choreography of dumping the grease cup during the cooking of burgers.

After about the second try of making burgers, I was ready to write George off as another piece of shit useless kitchen appliance. He sat in the cupboard for a while just taking up space as most useless kitchen appliances do, his grease cup having gone missing.

Until we made our first grilled cheese sandwich on him.

From that day forward he became known as the George Foreman Grilled Cheese maker.

And the nine years we had George he served us countless perfectly crisp and melty grilled cheese sandwiches and the occasional chicken quesadilla.

Until last night when I went to make quesadillas for dinner and the resulting product was a limp mildly warm quesadilla.

George wasn't getting hot anymore--merely warm.

I thought maybe it was a fluke.

So after dinner (of oven-baked quesadillas), I plugged him back in.

His little orange power light no longer glowed and he didn't heat up at all.

It was over.

Rest in peace George Foreman Grilled Cheese maker.

You were a seemingly stupid "fad" appliance from the turn of the century, but you kept us well fed in your gooey cheesy deliciousness.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Oh No! Grilled cheese is about all I use my GF for as well. Tried salmon in it once and it stunk up the whole house. Will you get another?

9:41 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

if you were looking for a replacement toasty-cheese-sandwich appliance, I'd recommend a sandwich maker. I love mine. I love how it pretty well (not perfectly) seals the edges so the cheesy goodness stays inside.

http://www.target.com/s?keywords=sandwich_maker&LNM=Sandwich%20maker&CPNG=sports&AFID=google&LID=14p163228&adgroup=camping&MT=broad&KID=091d8aab-c5a5-5968-a286-000063bf5ff6&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000

9:50 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I LOVE my George Foreman grill! I don't eat grilled cheese, but I love it for hamburgers, and grilled chicken and steaks.

Mine is about ready to be thrown out too, because the finish on the plates is all scratched up.

It was just a cheap, small one anyway, that I got at Walmart as a combo pack with a toaster (it was a red grill and a red toaster - perfect for my red & white kitchen!), so I'm glad it's at least made it 5 years.

Next time I get one, I want to get a bigger one with the removable plates.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Is it a detachable cord? I've never inspected one in person...maybe it's just the cord?

I grew up in a house that could not toss out anything until we'd taken it apart to see if it could be fixed....sorry.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

I haven't used mine for grilled cheese, although I have done panini-sandwich-things... RIP GFGCM.

11:11 AM  
Blogger janna said...

I don't have a George Forman grill,but I used to have a little plug-in sandwich maker that made great grilled cheese. That was a LONG time ago - I think I lost it in the divorce - but now I want one again!

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RIP George!

My waffle maker the sides flip and you can make grill cheese on it. It hasn't seen daylight in years though so I don't know if it works or not!

Love, Mom

1:35 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

RIP, George. I believe I ate a Grilled Pepperjack Cheese sandwich you made while I was visiting my dear sister. I still remember that gooey cheese.

4:32 PM  
Anonymous knitting-cat said...

I have found that the "fad" machines show up at our local thrift shop for a few bucks. We have two mini Georges. One for the vegetarian husband and one for me. The grease cup is okay for one.

I am going to have to try grilled cheese.

4:37 PM  
Blogger ~RaenWa~ said...

I love my GF I thought it was going to be a crap item when we got it one year for Christmas but man I love that thing.

11:06 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

We were given one of those once for Christmas, and I think returned it shortly thereafter. Like you said, messy! And it tended to sear the outside of things like chicken breasts while leaving the inside pink and making cutting into them a shredded...yup, mess. But for grilled cheese, that would've been brilliant!

2:21 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

We don't use our George for burgers either. But paninis? Oh yeah! Throw some focaccia bread, homemade pizza sauce, and moz cheese on that sucker. Yum!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

RIP George!! Bummer!!

9:39 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

aww, so sad. he was a good grill.

i love paninis but i use the cheapo method of pressing with a cast-iron pan on top of the sandwiches in a skillet. if i'm not feeling too lazy i'll put a couple of cans of beans or something in the pan to weigh it down more.

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home