Saturday, January 29, 2011

I'm Not Complaining

Because it could be 98 degrees with 98% humidity.

Right now there's I believe people are saying we've gotten 30someodd inches of snow just this month? Maybe that includes the Kwanzaa Storm of 2010, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, Donna Lee is right, there's not much to talk about this time of year but the weather.

Our last storm hit Wednesday afternoon into early Thursday morning. We awoke to 16.5 inches of snow where I'm at in Nueva Jersey.

I went to shovel off my car in the parking lot where I'm allowed to park during "snow emergencies" as we don't have a driveway.

100_9926.jpg

I discovered though two jackasses foiled my plan to get to work that day. One parked at the entrance to the lot and one parked at the exit to the lot.

Jackass A, to his credit, may have just become stuck trying to pull into the lot before he discovered it wasn't plowed. He was shovelling himself out.

Jackass B, however, was no where to be found.

Thus with the entrance and exit to the lot blocked, guess what couldn't get in there?

The snowplow.

And guess who was trapped?

Yours truly.

I had two options:

1. Call out of work and they charge me a vacation day; or
2. I walk 2 miles to the train station and face waiting a while for the train into Newark as the trains were running behind due to weather.


So I did what any real Alaskan Girl would do.

100_9923.jpg

I hit the road.

I slipped into my new snow pants (what a dream come true! I bought a pair of Men's snow pants on the clearance rack at Dick's where we had gone the previous weekend to buy Dr. Mad Scientist a new pair of boots. With a coupon we had, they were $15. SWEET!), I put on my boots, my scarf, my gloves and hat, packed a bag of clothes to change into when I got to work and started walking.

It was like Christmas.

100_9930.jpg

Most of the local businesses were closed and there was nary a car on the road. That was a good thing because obviously the sidewalks weren't shoveled, so I had to walk in the road.

And like magic--when I got to the train station--the train to Hoboken, making a stop in Newark, pulled up to the station.

By the time I finally got to work, it was 9:30. I was half an hour later than normal and I still beat everyone in by an hour (we had a delayed opening of 10:30).

That job sucks away at my soul, but I will NOT let them have my vacation days!!!

So when it's 90 degrees outside and 90% humidity at the end of June while Dr. Mad Scientist is still teaching because Newark Public Schools doesn't build snow days into their calendar, and Chunky's school does, and therefore Chunky will get out before Dr. Mad Scientist and someone has to stay home and watch him--I will be taking the days I did NOT use on a snow day.

I will be taking a "heat day" instead.

Because that's how we Alaskan girls do things.

And sometime during the day Jackass A and Jackass B moved their cars, the lot was plowed, Dr. Mad Scientist shoveled my car out (see! he shovels!) and he and the boys drove to Newark to pick me up after work.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Yey for "heat" days. During our 6-8 months of constant grey, we too call in "sick" on sunny days...otherwise? You will miss the sun and wither away...

4:35 PM  
Blogger Ellie said...

Hubby trudged through the snow to work while I stayed home with the rugrat Thursday, because the busses weren't running and they never clean the sidewalks... usually on days like this, the streets are empty of cars but you can see a parade of grad students and postdocs in the middle of the road around 9AM heading to lab ;-)

8:26 PM  
Blogger janna said...

I heard on the news yesterday that New York City has received over 50 inches of snow this year, and the norm is about 10! That's pretty amazing....

8:53 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

what a bunch of cheap asses. You want your employees to risk life and limb due to a natural event.

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I have to say is at least your story had a "Happy Ending"! Must of made your day to see all three of your men pick you up!
Love, Mom

9:13 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

You're braver than me. Buses were cancelled and there was no way I was walking to the train. Took a sick day! Sick of the snow, so I say it counts, haha! That 30 something inches doesn't count the after Christmas blixxard btw. ALso, we're supposed to get hammered again on Wednesday.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I keep reminding myself that this too shall pass and we'll have sunny days soon.

I live about 2 miles from the train station but it didn't occur to me to walk to it. That's because I'm not just a Jersey girl, but a South Jersey girl. We're not used to snow that really closes things and changes our routine. These last two winters have been strange (but really cool since I like snow).

9:29 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Doesn't it make you wish it was okay to take a sharpie and leave a message on the asswipe's driver side window?

9:45 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

So that's where Santa's been! I've been wondering why that fat bastard missed my house!

2:22 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

we keep missing the snowpacalypse. they pre-closed everything last night (except for my job) and then we got like 3 inches or something. it was bizarre. not that i'm complaining. ok, i am a little.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home