Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Galoshes and Gloves

Day One of life at Shyster, Shafter, Conniver & Dodge's New Jersey offices post-flooding is done.

I was able to corral my shit into one emptyish (one of the attorneys who was displaced is in there now) office where I feel confident it won't be messed with.

I've been relocated just a mere 28 steps away from my desk to the cubicle of a pregnant coworker out on disability/maternity leave. Thank goodness for unprotected sex.

It's not too bad. I do miss my fellow cubicleconians though. I still sit next to them, but on the other side of them. Ha ha!

I got in at 9:30 a.m. and was working on normal work by 11:00 a.m. Somehow though by 4 p.m. they told us we could go home. I guess it was too much to ask the staff to work an already abbreviated day. I guess the smell of the wet carpet glue is getting to people. I've got a cold. I can't really smell it. And I've got a buttload of work that isn't finishing itself. So I stayed till five.

The lack of air circulation there is awful though. The fug of all those humans in one space and no air moving aside from the dehumidfiers makes me sweat in places I only knew I had in July and August when it's 95 degrees and 95% humidity out.

Whatever. Dr. Mad Scientist has to remind me that not everyone is me. So I'll spare you the rant about how my coworkers aren't like me.

Instead I'll show you my most recent FO.

Before I could cast on with my new Yarn Crawl yarn, I had to finish these.

100_9976.jpg

Pattern: Ringwood Gloves

Yarn: Lorna's Laces Sock, Color: Mixed Berries

Needles: US2

Notes: Where to start? First off I made these using sock yarn and US2 needles. The pattern calls for a DK and size 6 needles. I didn't really want gloves that thick.

Second, I sorta read the pattern wrong. I thought the designer effed up with the directions for the second (right) glove. So to "correct" it, I reversed the knitting order of the left glove.

100_9977.jpg
Woah. Look at the pinkish cast to this photo. Cool. Low camera battery!

As a result, my wrist flaps both open in the same direction.

100_9978.jpg

Meh. No biggie.

I think that's all the mods I made. It was a pretty easy pattern. Knitting 8 fingers and two thumbs is boring and not very inspiring, but overall I give this pattern a thumbs up.

100_9979.jpg

And lest you think I'm not a real knitter--I will leave you with the obligatory gloved/mittened hand cupping a cup of tea/coffee that all the cool kids do with their glove/mitten photo shoots.

100_9987.jpg

You know, because I always drink tea and coffee in a mug outside in the cold.

Ha ha!

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Love the gloves! The colors are great too.

6:26 AM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

Great gloves, they look fab. But I am worried about you!?!? Pink tinge to photos, obligatory coffee mug/gloves shot - you need to get away from that glue, it is obviously affecting you!

6:54 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I don't know if I want to knit all those fingers/thumbs. They look fiddly and a pain in the ass. BUT your gloves are beautiful. No one will notice your mod if you don't tell them.

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! I am impressed! I love the color, and the setting for the pictures. Very nice.
Love, Mom

7:14 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

love the gloves. the colors are so pretty and perfect for that pattern.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Lovely - and the teacup makes an appearance as well!

9:22 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

They look really great :-) I'm so jealous! Every time I knit a mitten thumb I think, gee, this isn't so bad; maybe I should do gloves next. Then I see gloves and run in the other direction.

(p.s. My Grammie had the exact same peach colored dish set, and Mom saved it for me. Seeing that pic this morning did my heart good ...) ;-)

9:25 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Very purty! The idea of knitting anything with size 2 needles and skinny sock yarn totally intimidates me, so I am very impressed with your gloves!

I love the law firm's nickname too, by the way, ha, ha!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Wonderous and smooshy looking! I must have them and have too much Lorna's in the stash anyway. Did you have to change the stitch counts at all from the substitution?

*Runs to go find the perfect Lorna's in the stash*

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Suzanne said...

Wow! I love the gloves!

10:22 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

I really need to make my own gloves too. Then maybe they'll fit my short stubby fingers better. Yours are super-pretty :0)

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Those are great!!

7:00 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Pretty! I have a pair of gloves for me that have been put aside for other knitting - I need to get them out again. And I don't mind knitting fingers and thumbs -- they're so quick!

Be careful of what sort of crap is floating around in the uncirculating air at work....

7:12 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Cute gloves!

Sucks about work! I kinda know how you feel. Last fall, we had a fire up on the top floor. Place was smoky and smelly for days and we weren't even allowed to come in late or leave early. Pregnant ladies were getting sick and if they left, they had to use vacation time! Lawyers!

7:22 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Nice gloves!! I wonder are knitted gloves good for driving...hmm....good use for sock yarn for sure!

Sucks about work though!! Hope it gets dried up soonish!

8:37 PM  
Blogger ~RaenWa~ said...

The gloves came out great you did a wonderful job.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Honey... they shouldn't have to tell you. There's NO ONE like you in this world!

Cute gloves

11:26 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

you wear your gloves o drik your tea caue you iz environ,enal and keep the heat low inside! Nice gloves too...

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

BWAH! You know I fucking busted out laughing at your law firm's "name" right? I can TRULY appreciate that name! HEHEHEHEHE

You should start a separate blog just like the Anonymous Lawyer. Oh wait....IS THAT YOU?

Purty gloves. And, don't you sit outside on the porch in weather cold enough where you need gloves to drink your coffee like everyone else??

2:19 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

I am in awe of anyone with the patience to knit gloves. Go, you!

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home