Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Toni & Bezzie Get To Know Each Other

This past weekend I made my inaugural project on Toni Janome, my new sewing machine.

Good news: Toni handles like a dream. She's quiet. She doesn't bounce around the table. When her bobbin is less than half full she doesn't throw a hissy fit.

Bad news: The neighbors probably think I'm having an affair because literally I would exclaim with sheer delight "Ohhh Toni!!!!"

On to the fruits of my experimentation with Toni this weekend.

100_9960.jpg

Pattern: McCall's 2094

Fabric: Some 100% quilting cotton I picked up on my bi-annual trip to Joann's here in New Jersey (which is sorely lacking in fabric stores that don't suck).

Mods: Even though Toni makes three one-step buttonholes (purrrrrr!), I haven't tried the buttonhole feature yet. I really enjoy the look of my beloved snaps.

100_9966.jpg
I wasn't too jazzed about this simple calico when I bought it, but I'm totally in love with the color now!

I also didn't use interfacing in the collar. Oooo! I didn't want an over-stiff collar. Plus I'm running low on interfacing and see aforementioned the comment about lack of decent fabric stores in Northern New Jersey that aren't a 45 minute drive away.

The collar isn't the greatest. But it could be worse.

100_9965.jpg

It came out really 1970's butterfly. I think because now that I look at the pattern envelope, I should have put a snap closer to the top. What can I say? I'm a sucker for some good pseudo-cleave.

The only thing differently I think I might have done was shorten the sleeves a bit. I think a half inch to an inch off of them would have been nice.

Overall--great pattern and a great cherry popper for me and Toni. I have plans to make a plain version of this blouse.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous sarah said...

It looks great! I'm so glad Toni makes you squeal in delight :-)

6:49 AM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

It's adorable! Congrats on popping your cherry with Toni. Sounds like you two will be very happy together. :)

7:28 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Congrats on the new machine. The shirt looks good. Can you shorten the sleeves after the fact?

7:46 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very nice! the blouse looks like it fits you really well.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Impressive! The shirt looks great, 1970's collar and all! : ) I can't wait until I can sew well enough to make clothes. The sewing part isn't so bad, but the I suck at cutting.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Yey for not having to battle with your sewing machine!

5:53 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Cute!

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That blouse looks GOOD on you!! But I have to ask....Have YOU been in my stash? I think I have some of that fabric around here someplace!
As for interfacing.....It was YEARS before I used it regularly! Your blouse turned out nice without it.
I really like the snaps. I have never gotten them to go in right.
Love, Mom

7:15 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

There aren't any good fabric stores down here in south jersey either. I remember when they used to be everywhere......

There's a section of Philadelphia called Fabric Row somewhere around 4th and Pine I think where there are tons of fabric and notions stores. I have been there only once and have fond memories.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Great shirt! I'm not so brave to make a shirt like that. It's awesome and I'm glad Toni is proving to be stress free.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

it looks great....you make me want to spend my gift certificate to fabric land like yesterday and make a cute blouse!!

8:21 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Very cute - and I like the shiny blue snaps.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Very impressive! I like it.

3:14 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Yes, I am WAY behind. That smile on your face tells me that you picked the right machine. YAY YAY YAY!!!!!

And, as always, I am in awe of your garment-sewing skills. Nicely done!

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home