Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentines Day

I sort of forgot to make valentines for Moochie's class.

Oops.

And Chunky informs me that in 3rd grade bringing Valentines is optional.

Good enough for me!

For Chunky's party I had to bring in two bags of potato chips. The story behind those potato chips is a blog post in and of it's own.

For Moochie's party I signed up to bring cookies. To be honest, I was just going to send him in with a bunch of storebought Valentine sugar cookies.

But guess what was NOT at the grocery store?

Valentine sugar cookies.

They had gobs of mini Valentine cupcakes. But no cookies.

It sounds bad, but I really wanted to send Mooch in with those big thick cakey sugar cookies that you find at the store.*

So when I couldn't find them, I set off to make them.

There are many recipes out there for "store bought sugar cookies" but I settled on this one.

100_9958-2.jpg

Oh yeaaaaah. Great recipe.

They're big and fat and soft.

I'm really not a sugar cookie fan, but these are delicious!

-2.jpg

Just like the storebought ones!

Happy Valentine's Day if you're into that kind of thing!



*Why didn't I just make them in the first place, you're probably asking. Schools these day are all skittish about homemade treats--allergies, the plague, iron filings, etc. I like to avoid bringing homemade treats when possible.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Yum! I have to make cookies today - someone ate all the cookies we have in the house. I even know where my heart-shaped cookie cutters are (as a result of looking for the haircutting scissors yesterday...).

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy V-day to you all!!!

Moochie will be the hit of his class with those cookies!

Love, Mom

7:10 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're a good mom for making homemade cookies for Moochie's class!

The Giant Eagle grocery stores here in the Cleveland area always sell fancy cookies for holidays (which is pretty much the only time I go there, when I need something from the bakery, since that store is way overpriced).

My kids' schools only bar them from bringing in stuff with peanuts or peanut butter, so far anyway.

My (2nd grade) son didn't want to bring in Valentines today, and my daughter is home sick today, but in 7th grade they don't do Valentines anymore, anyway.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

Bug's in fifth grade and they still do valentines. However, homemade goodies are out. Not because of allergies, but because of health. Bug's class is having build-your-own yogurt sundaes (regular yogurt, not frozen) and I don't know what Bobo's class is having because I supplied the snack for the Christmas party, but you are requested to send healthy snacks like fruits and veggies with low-fat dips, pretzels, and totally un-fun stuff like that. So far we've never had a snack banned because of allergies.

And now I want one of those cookies. Please.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Entenmann's makes a wonderful holiday cookie that is buttery and has chocolate. Some of the best store bought goodness to be had.

Your hearts look yummy although I'm not a fan of the soft cookies. I like them thin and crunchy.

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

we had to go to the store on the way to school for our juice boxes we had signed up for!
Those cakey cookies are good. What the hell did we do before the internet.
We spent a lot of time over the weekend making our Valentines. I'm glad we did because there were some super cute ones she got!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Those look amazing! I didn't send Piper with treats this year. She said she was too "old." sigh

7:10 PM  
Blogger Ellie said...

Dude. I just made these while the sickie took a 4 hour nap (to make up for not sleeping last night). DUDE. They're so good that I said DUDE twice. No, wait, three times. And they don't even have frosting yet ;-)

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home