Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Spud Dreams

I noticed something peeking out of the top shelf of one of my kitchen cupboards this weekend.

Here--I took a picture by holding the camera over my head.

100_9900.jpg

The little seedling potatoes I tossed in a mason jar decided to sprout. Looks like I had an escapee potato from a normal bag of potatoes I keep on that shelf too.

100_9901-2.jpg

My potatoes aren't the only things thinking about sprouts.

I placed my seed order this past weekend. I'm excited. Last year we were in the throes of moving and I didn't really have time to plan out my pot garden.

I ordered some container pickles, tobasco peppers, scallions, and dill. I splurged on a container blueberry bush and okra. Yeah, I don't know if the weather will be right for okra, but I love okra. I bet it would be great pickled too. Wait, strike that, I KNOW it would be good pickled!

100_9903-2.jpg

Soon my dear potato will have some friends to hang with outside!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

Wild!! Look forward to seeing what your pot garden produces this year :0

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you admit it!!!! You ARE short!! Hahahahahaha!!

Can't wait to see what all you get out of your pot garden! Looks like potatoes at least!

Love, Mom

10:46 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

OMG Pickled Okra is the bomb! I have a jar sitting that a friend bought for me from a trip down south. Now freshly made pickled Okra sound really really good!

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

That's so cool looking. I think it's time to get those babies in the ground! Or the pot.
We've started a veggie garden and I'll be happy to get the little peat pots off my kitchen counter and into the ground.
I would love to have home made pickled okra! I have the seeds for some burgundy okra and I am going to have to be very convincing for Marky Mark to let me plant that in the front yard, there's no other place for it! If it does well, I'm going to need your pickle instructions.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

That is a very enthusiastic potato seedling.

I have been having gardening thoughts as well. Must be the occasional sunny and slightly warmer than normal days.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Very, very cool potatoes :0)

11:16 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

that escaped potato gives me the creeps. i'm worried that it's going to throttle you in your sleep.

spicy is going to be gardening this year too. i'm looking forwarding to taking advantage of his efforts. :-)

11:37 AM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

knottygnome is right, you should be sleeping with your doors closed - what a couple of spuds. Looking forward to seeing your garden grow x

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Ellie said...

Looking forward to seeing pot garden progress! I still have a tomato plant from 2009 that has never produced fruit - same for my pepper plant! This year I have pumpkins on the porch, but they aren't looking especially hardy!

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

OK those potatoe thingies creeped this city girl the hell OUT! I can't see that stuff in my fridge drawer cuz I get all goose pimply! Waddya gonna do with those spidery things?

2:22 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Oh cool! I started a potato like that one year, but it didn't grow much before crapping out.

Glad to hear you're an okra lover.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home