Sunday, April 03, 2011

Fun On Wheels

A weekend and a half until Grandma and Grandpa Mad Scientist land in Nueva Jersey.

So I tackled some of the spring cleaning on my list. Aside from cleaning the microwave (oh blecccch!)

I cleaned out my car which was full of dirt, salt, kitty litter (don't ask) and glitter (from the art projects Moochie makes at school).

I also had to flip this--
100_0060.JPG

Forward facing.

Yes, I realize that Mooch is nearly 2 and a half now and he was still rear facing.

No, we didn't care about safety. We were just lazy. Installing a kid's car seat properly is a royal pain in the ass. Locking clips, towels, LATCH hooks...ugh.

I also took out Chunky's booster seat. Sniff sniff. He's surpassed the size/weight and age limits for state laws requiring booster seats--and the new recommendations they just came out with.

Mark my words, I'm going to have a 5th grader taller than me. Sob!

Anyway, moving Moochie's car seat front facing meant I had to take out the car trashbag that I had hanging behind his seat on the neckrest of the passenger's seat.

But it didn't fit anywhere. So I had to make a new one.

I had ordered some oilcloth in anticipation of this moment.

I bought a 1/2 yard of 2 types of oil cloth from Fabric.com and they mailed it to me on these gigantic industrial tubes.

The boys enjoyed them.

100_0033

Anyway, with a little measuring, and a little time with Toni Janome, I came up with this.

100_0062.JPG

A small oilcloth-lined bag. The oil cloth gives it stability and helps the bag keep its shape.

The whole thing fits nicely around my duct-tape festooned drink holder.

100_0064.JPG

And I have to say it matches my calico toll change sack and polka dot sock bag also adorning my now glitter-free car (those two things were gifted to me by other knitters).

100_0065.JPG Now all I need to do is squeeze a pair of parents-in-law into my car and I'm set to go!

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

I have heard that something like 60% or more of those child seats are installed wrong because they are such PITA. Who knew? i have been monitoring my tire pressures on my car. Trying to see if I have ANOTHER rim leak. Ah the joys of car ownership

9:25 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Cute bag! I like all your handmade accessories in the car!

My son is 8, and still uses a booster seat. He's short and small for his age, though. My daughter is 13, and is about two inches taller than me (of course, I'm short too - only 5 feet).

I've always wanted to be taller. It would be so nice to be able to walk into a store and just pick up clothing from a rack, and have it be the right length. Even a lot of petite size clothes are too long for me in the arms and legs. Sigh...

11:08 AM

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute trash bag!
Chunky without a booster seat?? What is up with that? He is suppose to stay little ALL his life!!!
And Moochman facing the front??? What is happening to my two LITTLE GRANDSONS?????
Love, Mom

1:18 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

MAN he is TALL! Calvin is 21 pounds I'd say..eek! Next Monday I take him in for his checkup so will have exact numbers! Our infant seat goes to 35lb/32 inches...then we'll switch to the convertible.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Ellie said...

N. has been forward facing for a whjile, mainly because our convertible seat is easier to install forward in the cars we rent every now and again... the rest of the time he just busses it with me :-)
I do like the idea of permanent, reusable trash bags, especially since they're an excuse to make something pretty. I was surprised at how cheap the oilcloth was on fabric.com - I've ordered from them two or three times, and they're always amazing.

Good luck with the in-laws!! My mom is here in 16 days :-))

6:24 PM  
Blogger janna said...

That's a very classy looking trash bag! Also, I love the look on Moochie's face - he clearly adores his big brother!

10:04 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

I've been meaning to make a trash holder for the car too and just haven't gotten around to it. Yours turned out really nice. Pi hasn't used a booster in years. She's tall! 5 feet and she's only 10. 4 more inches and we'll be eye to eye!

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Oooh, that reminds me...I really need to clean out the van before my parents come.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home