Friday, April 08, 2011

Keep On The Sunny Side

On the eve of what will probably be a shut down of the US Government (I won't go into it other than to say, "Stay strong my Government Weenies!*"), I have come upon a small anecdotal, completely unscientific sign that the economy is bouncing back.

Back when I wasn't up to my eyebrows in my paper pushing nightmare I call a job, and I used to be able to take a lunch hour--instead of shoveling a peanut butter sandwich into my mouth at my desk--I used to walk from Newark to Harrison to buy a bottle of soda.

To the unknowing, Newark is separated from Harrison by the beautiful (snicker) Passaic River.

To get there, you have to cross a bridge.

100_9314
Scene from the bridge I cross on to get from Newark to Harrison, circa August 2010.

On my way back from purchasing my soda, if I have change, I do this weird thing that I started doing two years ago when our firm moved to Newark and I started on my Friday Afternoon Caffeine Pilgrimage.

I leave a penny on the railing of the bridge.

Part of the reason I do it is because I know what small thrill it is for me to find a penny/nickel/dime/quarter on the ground. It's kind of fun to leave it there for someone to enjoy picking up. Plus, because it's on the railing, it's obvious that it was left there intentionally--not just escaped out of my pocket landing on the ground.

The other part of the reason is I'm just weird.

There for the longest time, every week the penny would be gone, assumably picked up by one of the other pedestrians crossing the bridge.

However, this week, when I crossed the bridge heading to buy my soda--I was greeted by my penny.

Bridge Penny

I seriously cannot remember the last time I trekked to Harrison to buy a lunch-soda. December? January? Maybe later than that??

But there was my penny in April!!

Perhaps people are starting to become more stable that they don't need to pick up my bridge penny anymore?

That's what I would like to think anyway.

* I am the offspring of two Government Weenies, I am related to many Government Weenies by blood and marriage, and I used to be a Government Weenie myself in a past life. Weenie is a term of endearment.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger janna said...

I think you may be on to something there!

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I KNOW you are on to something there! The other day your father found 38 cents walking home from going to see Eddie and I found 33 cents no even a block away from our home. When people don't have to bend down and pick up coins they drop or see it is s sure sign things are getting better!!

Love, Mom

10:48 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

well, you are weird. but so am i. i would never pick up a penny regardless of the state of the economy because i'm against pennies in general. i wish they would abolish them.

8:09 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Haha! Love it! I always try to pick up change. But, once in college I picked up a penny and a group of students started snickering at me. It was a maliciously planted penny!

9:51 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

How funny! I don't usually pick up pennies either. I always have a bunch of pennies I'm trying to get rid of.

And that river looks cleaner than our Lake Erie here in Cleveland, ha, ha!

12:33 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Haha, you're a trip! I don't pick up stary pennies because who knows where they've been!

6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could that be the William A. Stickel Memorial Bridge! One of my favorites.

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home