Monday, April 11, 2011

Manut Maid

My Dad had this guy that was his friend -- they were coworkers? Air Force buddies? Something...

But when they moved out to the Valley (the Matanuska Susitna Valley that is) from Anchorage or whereever the hell they were living, they felt the need to socialize with us.

They were originally from Georgia and they had three boys. Now the two older boys were numbnuts. The social equivalent of cold oatmeal. The youngest boy was more of a spazz. Like he had to make up for the personalities his brothers were lacking.

And the wife was kind of an airhead. But she with her thick Georgia accent gave our family some good schtick that has peppered my childhood and even yes, my adult life.

For example, one of the scant times we visited them at their house we were offered "gooey rolls" (cinnamon rolls to us crazy Northerners) and to drink she proffered "Manut Maid." Which is how she said "Minute Maid" in her Georgian accent--and how I have always pronounced it ever more.

So where am I going with this lame rememberance?

Cookie of the Week of course!

This name of this week's cookie, I feel, should be pronounced with a thick Georgia accent.

Pecan Praline Cookies

Pee-cahn Pray-leen Cookies!!

I wasn't too happy with the way the first batch of cookies turned out. But with some tweaking--i.e. adding a bit more flour to stop the massive spread these cookies did--they turned out great.

Sweet, chewy, and nutty.

Normally I don't post the recipes for Cookie of the Week because I get them from cookbooks. I see other dessert bloggers posting recipes straight from cookbooks--but doesn't that infringe upon some kind of copywrite? I realize recipes are a bit trickier than other written things, but when you gank it straight from someone's published book, I dunno. Things start getting gooey.

However, since I modified this recipe, post I shall.

Pee-cahn Pray-leen Cookies
(Pecan Praline Cookies)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 egg
1 teasp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cream together the butter and the sugar. Add in the egg and the vanilla. Next add in the flour. And finally stir in the pecans. Roll into 1" balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes. If you find the cookies spread and become flattened, add a 1/4 flour to the remaining dough.

Y'all come back now, ya hear?

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Krysstyllanthrox said...

My Louisiana southern dialect mocks the Georgia dialect.

Pah-kon Prah-leens.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hahaha!! Pe CAN pray leens 'round here ;)

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The guy worked with your father on base. The guy was in the army and your father was a civilian.
Those cookies look GREAT!
Love, Mom

11:11 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

You're channeling your inner Paul Dean.

More butter, ya'll!!!

4:25 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

In college I had neighbors who were Southern (with a capital S). We mocked them mercilessily. We had the worst accents but laughed a lot.

And for a minute there, I thought we were getting an orange juice cookie recipe.

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cookies look delish!

Funny you should blog about Southern accents, Erin & I were just talking about them last night. I was telling her the story about going to Florida on for my honeymoon. We stopped at a fast food place near the Georgia border. We placed our order then the girl asked us something else. After having her repeat it several times, we figured out that she wanted to know if we wanted a "Star Wars" promo glass. Love, Aunt Susan

8:23 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

"Manut Maid"? Ha, ha! I have a brother in law who is from Tennessee, and he still has a Southern accent, even though he's been living here in Cleveland for at least 30 years now. It cracks me up when he tells my sister, "I done told you!", about something or other, LOL!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Wut? So distracted by the lovely lusterware, I wasn't paying attention.

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home