Friday, April 29, 2011

Sardines, Not Just For Breakfast

I think I'm getting a bit of blogging mojo back.

No knitting to show. I've got a couple of things that are coming down the river that will be able to be shown off soon. And I'm hoping to canoodle with Toni this weekend if the mini-men will let me.

100_0265

A couple of big things have gone down here.

One involves Dr. Mad Scientist. He wasn't recommended for renewal at his school.

Not surprising. There's a big old rant here about how no one should be judged by three 30 minute snapshots of their work. But I'll save it.

His supervisor, (who word on the street is also getting shitcanned) said he's a good teacher, just not in a Big Urban High School. And neither he nor I can deny that.

I think he would do well at an Urban-Lite school--like the one he went to high school at.

Nice thing about the whole situation is that he found out now--and not say August 31st, which is more typical of the way Newark schools tend to run. He's got plenty of time to hit the pavement.

And he has been. There's a couple of jobs he found that I think would be an amazing fit, but I'm not counting my seeds before they're transplanted.

100_0285

There's another issue that's been dragging me down that I'm hesitant to blog about until it's over.

Let's just say it directly deals, again, with this highly urban setting.

I've been battling home (or maybe just open space)-sickness as a result.

The other night I got undressed to take a shower. It's been warming up enough to keep the windows open at night (ugh). So I'm sitting there by the (curtained) open window nekkid and I can hear Next Door Neighbor Kid playing frisbee with his dad in their back yard/large driveway.

And then it hit me.

I was literally 50 feet away from them stark naked with only some sheetrock, 2x4s and 1960s siding separating me from them.

50 feet.

I mean I can watch these people make dinner from my bedroom without binoculars.

I know it's not that shocking to urbanites who have lived like sardines their whole life, but it's starting to wear thin on me.

But let me leave it on a positive note.

Since we're on the subject--would you like to see a picture of my nip?

100_0270

Catnip that is! Not sure what that plant is on the right--it's not basil which was there last year, but I'm gonna leave it and see what pops up. Maybe a pretty weed?

14 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

Oh bummer!! Sending some job-vibes his way! Also hoping other things work out too!

9:02 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Yes, I think you need to live somewhere less-urban. I know places like that exist even in Jersey -- maybe not as less-urban as where you grew up, but more than where you are now. (Not sure that sentence makes sense, but you knew what I mean, right?)

Also - I'm so jealous of your warm weather. I actually wore my winter coat most days this week, although today was warm enough for just my spring coat....

10:46 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Sorry to hear about Dr. M.S. I give teachers who work in those big urban schools a lot of credit. I couldn't do it. Hopefully another job that's a better fit will turn up for him soon.

I grew up in an urban neighborhood in Cleveland, in a sardine can of a house - a 1970's barely 1,000 square foot ranch house, no attic or basement, and one bathroom, with my two parents, and 5 brothers and sisters (7 kids at one point, because we had a foster sister for a while). Now one of my older sisters lives in a mammoth new house on 5 acres of land (she has to drive to her mailbox) in a wealthy semi-rural/sprawl area. It's nice to visit, but I couldn't imagine living there. Too isolated and lonely for me.

11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never had sardines for breakfast, or any other meal.

Sending good job vibes to Dr MS. Hope some of his feelers bring back somethng.

Love, Mom

7:14 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

i hope that your husband finds a new job soon!

i get that way about open space sometimes (especially when i look at my craptastic back yard) but for the most part i don't mind city life so much. it would be nice to be able to see the stars though.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

Gimme land, lots of land, under starry skies above...(everybody)

DON'T FENCE ME IN!

Here's to the day when you put NJ in your rearview mirror!

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

I'm with you, Bezzie! When my husband finishes his certifications next year, we're outta here!!! We're going back to rural podunkville to buy a house that has some acreage so I don't ever have to see my neighbors unless I wanna.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Could this be the right time for DrMS to apply for jobs in Alaska? Maybe it's a sign :0) The universe will see you right eventually.
Hope you get some down time this weekend.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Good luck to Dr. MS in the job hunt.

I know what you mean about the sardine feeling. My last apartment's HUGE living room window was exactly the city limit distance between buildings in Seattle...which mean the lab that faced us could see everything if the blinds were ever lifted. I felt canned in.

The tower I live in now is actually a nice change, 17 stories up = no one peeking at me as I go in to shower, even if I forget to lower the blinds :). I'm still packed in, but in a completely different and more "roomy" way. In my head at any rate :).

11:32 AM  
Blogger Ed's next door neighbour said...

Here in England I use net curtains - it isn't even 50 feet across the road, so without "protection" you can see straight into the property opposite. Plenty of people think they're old fashioned and opt for vertical blinds instead - which you can still see in through and for my tastes are far too office-y - but I like that with well-gathered nets/voile you can see out, but they can't see in (unless you put the light on!) and also the light-softening effect you get.

Just a thought for those rooms where you might be unthinkingly in the altogether!

And good luck with Dr MS sorting out something new for the next school year.

2:26 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I am thinking weed. What does DrMS's not getting renewed mean for his obligation to teach in NJ?

6:21 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Hope Dr. MS can find something better suited to him soon!

I agree with the sardine thing. When we were looking to rent, there was one house that was a great price and lots of space, but literally the only thing separating it from the next house was a driveway. Even when we were looking at it, you could hear everything from next door. We turned it down. We're still close to our neighbors now but not THAT close. Maybe you'd be happier in South Jersey? The commute would stink, but there is so much more space there.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

eh, if it's pretty it's not a weed!

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I crave elbow room. I'd pack up and move except we've got some necessary reasons for staying here. When we feel like it's okay to be farther away from drs etc we will get a break for a few years.

I can wave to my neighbor in her kitchen. At least I've known her my whole life but it's awfully cozy. Her invalid husband watches out yard for entertainment. I was thrilled to find that tidbit out.

Ideally I would live out with some space and land and have a condo in the French Quarter to stay in touch with people and the city.

Good luck to Dr MS. My guess would be he's overqualified. We could use him at our school.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home