Sunday, May 15, 2011

Gray Brown Sunday

It's raining. And stinky here in lovely Nueva Jersey.

On Friday night/Saturday morning I was jarred out of my sleep by our doorbell being frantically rang.

I wasn't about to answer it. Mainly because it could have been crazy drunk people from across the street and I didn't feel like putting pants on. Mainly the latter.

On Saturday morning we discovered why.

Allegedly the daycare center two doors down from us flushed a mop head (swiffer???) causing the sewer lines to back up and flood about eight houses with raw sewage in their basements.

The house to the left of us got it bad and so did the house to the right of us. If you go outside or crack the windows, it smells like what I imagine a Brazilian shanty town would smell like.

And just like a Brazilian shanty town, the neighbors to the right of us, while they were waiting for the cleaning crew to extract their shit-laden belongings from the basement (note to self, when we purchase a house use basement only for tornado shelter purposes, not storage), the decided to start dumping sewage by the bucket load into the gutter in front of their house--and thus in front of ours.

Cousin-Eddie-Beer

Seriously?

At least Brazilian shanty town residents have abject poverty as a legitimate reason for living in poorly sanitized conditions. Not supreme ignorance and apparent common sense retardation.

Aside from the stank wafting from all angles--we were luckily pretty much untouched by the back up. I think because Basement Neighbor lives in the basement so it's a finished basement. I also heard that Upstairs Neighbors had some shit squirt out of their dishwasher when they tried to run it Saturday. We luckily had none of that happen to us.

Since it was raining and the stink and the rain confined us pretty much indoors, I took the opportunity to whip out my annual summer skirt.

008

It's my standard bias skirt from McCalls's pattern 2255. I made a skirt from that patter in 2009, 2010, and now 2011.

This year though I went with 100% rayon.

The print is a Kaffe Fassett for Rowan called "Asian Circles." I got it on sale from Fabric.com.

100_0356

Dr. Mad Scientist thinks it would be great paired with a coconut bra and roasted pig.

Whatever, I like it and it will be wonderful to wear when the weather gets up to 90 degrees.

Which, I gotta say am glad it wasn't this weekend when the brown tide came rolling in!!!

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

I love the fabric of the skirt - it's a little funky, and it has lots of colours you could wear matching t-shirts with.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Wasn't there some toilet/basement action at Squirrel Gables too? Ick. Some cousins-in-law had the backup through the kitchen sink thing too. They came back from vacation to find it. Had to move out while the floors were all replaced. Disgusting!
However, you do have yourself a natty new skirt. I heart it :0)

10:09 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

That picture is classic! Thank goodness it wasn't hot this weekend! Love love the new summer skirt!

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't let an old man lite a cigar near your storm drain!!

Ah ha!! That is where I saw that material! I checked out fabric.com for your youngest sister's dress. There was nothing that she would have liked for her dress. So now you should have enough skirts to wear for at least half a week!

Love, Mom

10:28 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Love your new skirt! UGH!!! So glad too for you guys the weather was rainy!!

11:41 PM  
Blogger ChestyLove said...

But to fair, Bezzster, almost any outfit is more appealing with a coconut bra and a roasted pig. Certainly more interesting...

Sorry to hear about the Brown River. It can take a while for the stank to die down, for sure!

1:59 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I just got out the summer clothes and I was thinking it was time to pull out the pattern and make another summer skirt. I loved mine from last year. Add a t shirt and I'm good to go. I don't care if they all look the same. When it's that warm, it's all about being comfortable.

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

What is it with sewage and NJ? Squirrel Gables had poop issues when you moved didn't it? blech.

I like that skirt! Coconuts or not, it's very summery

8:30 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

What a super cute skirt! I love bright, bold prints, and one looks perfect for summer!

I have some fabric and a pattern to sew my daughter a simple elastic waist skirt, but I haven't gotten up the courage to attempt it yet.

Ewww about the raw sewage! I'm (unfortunately) familiar with that smell, because my husband and I used to rent a house where the sewer would back up into the basement everytime we flushed the toliet or ran the washer or dishwasher. And of course the #@$!%landlord we had wanted to blame it on us and wouldn't get it fixed until I threatened to put our rent in escrow with the housing court. Ah, the wonderful life of being a renter!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

Seeing Randy Quaid, just made me smile. I thought he was hysterical in those movies....Too bad he's since gone round the bleedin' bend.

10:58 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

whoa! it sounds like you dodged a bullet there for the most part.

i made a dress out of that exact same fabric. it's so loud and gaudy--i love it.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Ugh, Do Not Want. If your upstairs and downstairs neighbors were affected by the brown tide, you may want to run some cleanser through your plumbing and appliances, even if you didn't see anything yourself. Don't use ordinary bleach -- there's a special cleanser for sewer contamination. The township can (and should) advise you.

Looking on the bright side, pretty skirt!

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home