Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Great Minds

So did you happen to see Turtlegirl's Zebra Socks?

The cool mismatched stripey socks she made for her mom?

I laughed when I saw them--for the socks I finished last week bear a striking resemblance.

100_0314

The details--

Pattern: Nothing fancy, just my own.

Yarn: Spud & Chole Fine--80% wool/20% silk (purrrr!)

Needles: US 2

Notes: When I saw the skein of yellow sitting next to the skein of purple at the yarn store, I instantly thought of Mrs. Zimmerman.

No, no, not Elizabeth Zimmerman--Florence Zimmerman. While kids today read Harry Potter, I cut my teeth on John Bellairs books. Mrs. Zimmerman was a witch who had an affinity for purple. She had a magical cane that glowed yellow and purple in its knob when she was battling the evil dead.

I always think of Mrs. Zimmerman when I see dark purple and bright yellow together. Not LSU, not the Vikings...

100_0315

My favorite part has to be the contrasting toes and heels.

They look good in scuffed mary janes too.

100_0313

Can't wait to wear them next winter.

Before I leave--a pair of teasers of sorts.

First, the most incredible brownie I've ever made.

100_0338

And it's NOT because of how it tastes (which isn't half bad actually). More on the story behind the brownie later.

Finally, another FO of the non-knitted variety to show you.

100_0310

I'm so happy with the outcome (I love my Toni Janome!)

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Really cute socks! My daughter would like those, since she's always trying to wear mismatched socks. I love the Mary Janes too - I have a few pairs of Mary Janes myself!

When you are going to fully reveal the sewing project? I'm dying to know what it is.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Ellie said...

How do you like the Spud & Chloe? My LYS is 99% sure they're going to start stocking it, and I'm a wee bit excited :-) Love the colorful version of the socks, too. Very snazzy in the shoes!

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha! I like that! I would TOTALLY wear a pair of socks like that!!
Yum! the brownie looks good!
As everyone else is saying when do we get to see the sewing project?
Love, Mom

11:53 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Those are cute socks!

6:25 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Awesome socks! They look perfect for a roller derby too! I love Mary Janes!

You and Toni are getting along nicely!

7:29 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

purple and gold makes me think of the lakers. they've ruined that color combo for me. i like the sock reversal though.

can't wait to see your quilting (?) project.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

They're great!

And I love how your boys seem to enjoy each other. Their love shows in your photos.

10:14 AM  
Blogger AudreyGS said...

Yeah, what Knottygnome said about the Lakers. I live here, not far from Staples, and it's awful with the flags hanging onto cars during the post-season (same with Dodger blue, I live three miles from the stadium). Love the socks, and the quilt. So much easier when the machine is willing to do it!

Oh, and I totally loved Mrs. Zimmerman but hadn't thought of her in years until I saw this post. I can still clearly see what I thought she looked like in my head. Almost the same color purple, too.

(BTW, my word is "glythol" -- sounds like something in one of my industrial-strength antiseptic wipes)

2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home