Wednesday, May 11, 2011

It Was Bound To Happen

Have you seen this article about a study they did that says the average woman turns into her mother at age 32.

Well I'm right on target it would seem.

With a little over a month left of being 32, my latest creation is this:

100_0347

A real honest to god quilt! Just like Mom would make! (Although hers would be better...).

Ok, well it's like a wall hanging/baby sized quilt.

100_0348

Remember that jelly roll I teased about?

This is what it became.

Partially inspired by the Amish quilts my mom used to make back in the day and knottygnome's wonky-quilt obsession (I tried to make this wonky, but I think it looks more "sloppy chic" than wonky), I decided to use the jelly roll to make my take on what I believe is called an "Amish Roman Shade" pattern.

In keeping with the Amish tradition of intentionally effing up one piece of the quilt (because they believe only God can make perfect things--or at least that's the word on the street as to why they do this) I quilted one black triangle in white thread.

100_0350

Um, yeah, totally intentional *cough.*

Overall I am HIGHLY impressed with Toni Janome and her ability to quilt. She went through the layers like a hot knife through butter. I am very satisfied with my purchase of a DC3050. I wanted a machine that could sew clothing and quilts with no problems--and she does.

The Beast would have had a seizure as soon as I tried to stitch the first stitch on this quilt.

I had to wash this quilt after I was done with it to, for reasons to be discussed later. Normally I'm not into the crinkly-quilted look for decorative quilts--but I'm a convert now!

100_0346

Two thumbs up!

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger ccr in MA said...

That's really pretty! I love the colors. Nice job!

6:33 PM  
Blogger Ellie said...

It's totally true... last year I started consolidating leftovers in my fridge into ever-decreasing sizes of tupperware on a daily basis. Then I realized what I was doing and freaked the frack out.
Congrats on the quilt, it's beautiful. I need to get better needles for my machine and try a bigger project than random mending ;-)

7:00 PM  
Blogger Poops said...

My mother, at 62, parties like a rockstar and still works a 40 hour week. I haven't been able to keep up with her since I was 23, not 32.

It's entirely possible I'm turning into my father, though.

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahaha!!! I LOVE it!! When you move back up here we can quilt together!!

Your quilt looks really nice!

Love, Mom

9:09 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I love the quilt. I was so excited when I made my first honest-to-goodness quilt block (north star pattern), but after the one block, I decided it was good enough, and the rest of the quilt is just a patchwork of varying sized pieces of coordinating fabric surrounding my one block ;). I like it, though, and I get to say that *I* made that ;).

Anyway, it's beautiful. I wish I had your talent ;).

7:14 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Oh wow, Bezzie, that is gorgeous! But shame on you for teasing us for so long! ; )

I think I've turned into my husband's mother. My husband says she knitted, and crocheted and sewed. I never met her - she died from breast cancer when he was a teenager, long before I met him. I wish I could have met her, and that she was still alive, so we could share our crafty interests.

Maybe one day I'll get up the courage to learn how to quilt, too!

8:39 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

your quilt looks really great! i'm jealous of your skills. my first quilt with triangles was a hot mess but yours looks awesome. you really put that jelly roll to good use.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Persian rugs also have an imperfection purposely done in them since only god is perfect. I don't usually have to make an imperfection on purpose......I am plenty imperfect without help, thank you very much!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Beautiful quilt, Bezzie! Maybe one day I'll get up the courage to learn how to quilt!

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok! I'll comment anew!

Hahahahahaha!!! You're turning in to ME!!!!

Nice quilt though! You and Toni make a good pair!

Love, Mom

12:01 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE!!!!! You're a convert! I'm so happy! =)

Really, it's a great quilt, I love the bright colors against the black, and I do like how you used the different stripes to make up the half-square triangle. I'm working on my own half-square triangle quilt, but doing in against whites. I can't WAIT to see what else you come up with. =)

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home