Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Just Give Me Something To Blog About!

Due to:
a) a tragic yarn atrocity here in our neck of the non-existent woods; and

b) the fact that it's starting to get hot out again (Bah! Give me the snow drifts of February any day!) I haven't been doing too much knitting.

However I have been doing some sewing!

I think I picked this style dress because I saw my now ex-boss wearing this type of dress and I really dug it.

The style?

A shirt dress.

100_0372
Oh my waspy little waist!

The details:

Pattern: 4/2010 Shirt Dress #116 by BurdaStyle

Fabric: Some hot pink seer sucker from Fabric.com

Notes: Oh where to start!

This is the second BurdaStyle pattern I've sewn. The first one had seam allowances built into the pattern. This one did not. (Most of the BurdaStyle patterns don't seem to have seams..ha ha!). I compensated for this buy cutting for a size larger than I needed and using mainly 1/2 seams except on the side seams where I used a 5/8" seam.

It's not bad. A bit bulkier than I'd like but shifty and cool. I think the general fit stays true to the original pattern.

The only problem with sewing it the way I sewed it were the bust darts.

100_0387

They're a little too low. Ah well. It's not like the girls are getting perkier in their old age!

Some of the things I learned doing this pattern were how to sew a yoke on a shirt. I used this tutorial to figure it out since I find Burda patterns (all two of them that I've done!) kind of scant with the instructions.

And I got more practice sewing a stand collar. This is the fourth shirt-collared item I've made and this is my best collar yet!

100_0373

One of the things I didn't like about this pattern was the fact that it neglected to tell you that it's actually a pattern for a shirt AND a shirt dress. So there are options for long sleeves. That took me a minute to figure out.

Additionally, there's no pattern piece for the belt. They show it on the layout diagram, but it's not there.

Not a big deal though. It's a belt.

Overall I gotta say I love this dress!

100_0383

Finally I'd like to give a shout out to my lovely assistant Moochie--

100_0364

Who kept the floor warm for me while I finished this!!

Labels:

12 Comments:

Anonymous Amy said...

Ooooo, do I detect a little Buffy Season 6 in that blog post title? :-)

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't get you to sew as a kid and now look at you!!!! LOL!!!

The dress looks really good on you! I LOVE your little floor warmer. Does he do Grandparent's floors, too?

Love, Mom

11:52 PM  
Blogger Peri said...

You should slap a patent on that floor warmer - so cute you could sell them by the dozen.

Loving the new frock - great colour on you.

2:24 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

That's the best kind of assistant!

Cute dress! It is going to be comfortable in August.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I love that style and it's fairly easy to sew. I just got out the summer skirts from last year and was trying to find some fabric I liked. I don't know why I didn't think of buying it online. I guess I really like touching it and seeing it in person.

I've been sitting at the spinning wheel in this lovely weather. It's nice to not have wool in my lap.

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job on the dress. Looks great on you & I love the color. Love, Aunt Susan

8:27 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Wow, you are so adventurous with your sewing machine. Nicely done :0) I love how kids can fall asleep anywhere.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Very cute! Of course, I adore the color - anything pink gets a thumbs up from me! I hope one day to be as a good a sewer (sewist) as you! : )

11:56 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Wow, I'm amazed! You and Toni are getting on so well! I'm still too scared to try real clothing, haha! Looks great on you!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

A most excellent and wearable dress.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Great dress, great color! Toni is really earning her keep!

9:44 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Super cute dress! I gave up on sewing clothes... between my boobs and hips and general chubbiness, I just couldn't get anything to fit properly. But I think this dress works really well on you, very cute for the summer!

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home