Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Fee Fie FO

I've actually got a knitted FO to show you.

Because it's supposed to reach record highs of 100 degrees tomorrow (they've called a half day of school because of the heat...which is coincidentially Reason #100 Why I Hate The Lower 48: In Alaska school isn't cancelled for heat) I finished a sweater!

100_0634

The details:

Pattern: The Shawl Neck Cover Sweater from Sirdar Baby Crofter #377

Yarn: Sirdar Baby Crofter in some numbered color--i.e. a faux green fair isle.

Needles: US 5

Notes: Chris and I went on the NJ Yarn Crawl and while at The Blue Purl in Madison, they had a shop model of this sweater all knit out in the blue Sirdar Baby Crofter yarn. I'm usually not one to fall for stuff just by looking at the shop model, but I fell in love with this sweater. It helped that the booklet had tons of cute BOY sweaters that go all the way up to a six-year-old size. (There are some cute baby girl sweaters too, as if the knitting world doesn't have enough of those already.) So I caved and bought the booklet and five balls of the yarn. Unfortunately they didn't have five balls of the blue that I originally wanted, but the clerk was able to sway me on the green.

And I think Mooch will look just fine in it.

Come winter time!!!

My favorite part has to be the shawl collar.

100_0635

Which, now that I look at it, I think I crossed the collar in the "girl" style instead of the "boy" style. Whatever. I didn't realize there was a difference until I was reading the directions.

I made it a bit big, so when the weather does go below zero (aaahhhhh!) it should fit him just fine.

For now he'll have to be content to run around in his socks and sandals while it's still cute for a person to do so.

100_0636

At least the Pot Garden is enjoying this hot weather.

I'll catch you all later--I've got a cold shower to take and an air conditioning unit to curl up with.

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Adorable sweater! I totally would have put that on my son when he was a toddler. Very cute toddler, by the way, too! : )

School is only open a half day because of the heat? I don't recall that ever happening here in the Cleveland area, but then again, I think the schools get out a lot earlier here than in NJ. My son's last day was today, and my daughter's is tomorrow.

I've told my daughter she has it good compared to when I was in Catholic elementary school, because my school had no kind of air conditioning, and we (the girls) had to wear wool skirts, a blouse, and a sweater vest all year, so we sweltered as soon as the weather started to get warm.

At my daughter's Catholic school, the girls get to wear polo shirts and shorts or pants year round - skirts are optional, and they have dress down days (school "spirit" days) nearly every other week. Not so bad.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Love the sweater!! I see you have a gardening helper too ;)

12:43 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Does anyone pay attention to the girl/boy side anymore? I don't. The sweater is 'cool' :0p

6:00 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

That's a great sweater. The collar looks perfect. The dry cleaners once told me the reason that women's blouses cost more to iron than mens' shirts is that they button on the wrong side for the ironing machine thing they use and they have to iron them by hand.

I remember being in school for a full day without a/c. The schools here are closed early, too. More for the teachers than the students.

Not only are teachers judged by one hour of observation, but one person who isn't thrilled with you as a person can have you "not invited back". I learned this the hard way when we changed principals and the new one didn't like me or my style (funny, though, the kids did and I managed to earn the respect of teenaged boys who had behavior problems).

7:07 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very cute! the shawl collar is great.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous marymac said...

I remember being in school the whole day in June while the roof was being re-tarred! The heat! The smell!

Also, you kids get offa my lawn!

With two nephews and a godson under the age of six I may have to get my hands on that booklet, too....

6:49 PM  
Blogger janna said...

The sweater is incredibly cute! I have a couple baby boys to knit for this fall....

Also -- like many others, I remember being is un-air-conditioned classrooms when it was extremely hot out -- although perhaps not 100. My high school was "modern" so we just had tiny windows that didn't really open. However, we did have giant fans in the rooms!

7:21 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Love the sweater. The neck is really cool. Yep, Pip had a half day b/c of the heat too. That happened a few times last year too because her school doesn't have air conditioning. In NY, we NEVER got half days because of the heat. You drank water and hoped for the best, haha.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Chunky is getting so big!

I love the sweater - can't wait until the cold weather comes to see him in it :)

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

That is really cute!

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a cute sweater and even cuter garden helper!

Half day?! For heat?! What the heck is that all about? We had to go to school with no air or fans! I guess they don't want to be sued!

Love, Mom

1:14 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I didn't know there was a boy style and a girl style when it comes to shawl collars. Who knew? It's cute! You've definitely succeeded in making a great shawl collar. I envy your shawl collar skills.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Great sweater. I love shawl collars, myself too!

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Accommodation Pag Apartment said...

best winter wear...

5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home