Tuesday, June 28, 2011

It Was the Best of TImes, It Was the Worst of Times

Today is my last day of my vacation.

It's been nice. I've been able to hang with Chunky.

I got a lot done on my to-do list.

Dr. Mad Scientist got a job.

I got to experience the New Jersey Judicial System from the other side (maybe a separate post on that later).

But today is a very, very sad day.

Today we say goodbye to a beloved member of our family.

My creation

Springs the cat.

He's been becoming pretty frail, and in the past three weeks has really declined. He's not the cat we know and love. We decided it was time to say goodbye and have scheduled him an appointment late this afternoon.

We adopted Springs as an adult cat from a coworker, S, in Michigan. Her husband had always been allergic to cats, but could tolerate them well enough.

However, as time went on, his feline induced allergy/asthma got worse, and as he was an EMT/firefighter, breathing clearly was kind of an important part of his job!*

I'll always remember the day S brought Springs to come live with us. About a year and a half prior we had admired her sleek, playful, long Bengalese cat at the baby shower for Chunky that my coworkers hosted for me at her house.

He explored our Michigan apartment checking out the lay of the land. I had a garden statue of a pig I used to keep our closet door open and I remember him stopping, arching and hissing at it.

Mr. McDoodle (one of his many names) had quite an amazing life.

I remember, with great apprehension, the idea of moving from Michigan to Texass with him and Squeaky.

He and Squeaky did pretty well. And Bengal cats, while normally very vocal (you could have a full "conversation" with him), are even MORE vocal in the car!

By the time we moved to New Jersey we were old pros at moving with cats. However, while we were holed up in our hotel in southern New Jersey while we tried to find a place to live, there was one day where he slipped out the hotel door.

We discovered that he was gone pretty quick, and so Dr. Mad Scientist went to look for him. He discovered Springsy chilling in a room a few doors down with the cleaning staff.

That hotel experience is also where we opened the door (because we had no choice!) of letting him sleep in the bed with us at night. In Michigan we would close the bedroom door at night and he was OK with it. However, when we tried to do that in New Jersey, he knew what he was missing, and we were weak and let him in!

In addition to being a lap whore, he also had that habit of blanket humping that some cats seem to do (even though they're fixed!). Many a night I awoke to the rhythmic kneading of pokey cat paws on my legs as he got down to business with his favorite afghan (a hot pink and blue acrylic nightmare that my grandma made me when I was around Chunky's age).

I joked to Dr. Mad Scientist in 2008 that if Moochie was born with a cat tail, we would know who his real father was.

You could always count on my sweet Old Man Cat for a good snuggle be it on the couch watching TV or in bed reading.

That's where Dr. Mad Scientist will miss him the most. He likes to read, grade papers, play DS in bed and Springs is always there with him. Or in the mornings, when I wake Dr. MS up, you could bet that Springs would spring into action and lie on top of him, pinning him down and sapping his motivation to get out of bed to go to work.

I dubbed this phenomenon "Lazy Man Society" with Dr. MS and Springs sharing the presidency. Perhaps Lazy Man Society even had a theme song.

Lazy Man Society!
Lazy Man Society!
We only get up when we have to pee!


Springs was also amazing with the boys. Somewhere, and I can't for the life of me find it, there is a picture of Springs sleeping in Chunky's crib with him.

I will admit, as McDoodle became and Old Man Cat, he got a little grouchier with kids.

When Moochie was still in that not-quite-crawling-but-flailing-around-on-the-floor phase, I caught Springs nipping him once. But despite this, he tolerated the occasional todder-tail pull quite well.

In fact, it kind of saddens me that I don't think Moochie will be old enough to remember Springs. I think back to my first memories, and I was a little bit older than he is today.

You might also remember that Springs was quite the connesieur of crafts and yarn.

Be it modeling my handknits...

100_7609
That's his aforementioned "girlfriend" afghan he's posing on.

2ndsock

To huffing yarn/knit items...

100_3759

sniff sniff

To even helping me with my sewing patterns.

100_8856

So finally, if you've made it through this therapeutic rambling of mine--

100_3393


Farewell my sweet little kitty cat. We will miss you so much and our laps will be cold and lonely without you.



* S also had a son that was a year and a half older than Chunky at the time. When he was little he never showed any type of pet allergies, however as he got older and would visit other people's cats, he too seemed to be like his dad in reacting to them. This made me feel better about adopting Springs!

Labels:

31 Comments:

Anonymous Amy said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. But you gave Springs some wonderful years and a loving home.

9:47 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Ah, Springs! That cat was amazing! His memory will live on. You guys gave him the best home (and laps) possible!

Springs, say "hi" to Shpider in cat heaven for me!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Shrinky Inky said...

I'm so sorry but so glad you had Springs in your life and that he had you.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Awww, that post just broke my heart! So sorry to hear about poor Springs! I love most animals, but cats are my definite favorite. They all have such unique personalities.

I know how hard it is to have to put a pet down. I was heartbroken when my brother and sister and I had to put down our beautiful 14 year old Australian cattle dog, who we got as teenagers, and who had cancer. I hope my 11 year old cat many more years ahead of her.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

You said it best - "Mr. McDoodle (one of his many names) had quite an amazing life". I'm so sorry...

11:36 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

I'm so sorry. That's always a terrible decision to have to make. But you know you gave Springs a great life, and spared him a lot of pain at the end.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous knittingkitty said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you gave Springs a wonderful new lease on life and he was definitely well-loved.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I'm so sorry :( He had such pretty eyes.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I'm so sorry - he had such pretty eyes.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

I'm so sorry, honey. This was a very sweet tribute to a kitty who was obviously very, very loved.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Sorry to hear about Springs!! He had a good life with you guys though!

1:25 PM  
Blogger knitting-cat said...

I too am sorry for you. My husband said that it was good you recognized it was time. He wished he had been able to do the same with Kitty. Looking back he missed the signs.

I am glad you were able to have the vacation together.

Springs - here is to the Rainbow Bridge.

1:32 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

i'm so sorry to hear about your cat. love the sweater pic.

i hope you had a good birthday.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Peri said...

So sorry to read this. It is never an easy decision. He looked a lovely boy. xxx

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

It's so hard to say goodbye!

4:34 PM  
Blogger DeltaDawn said...

Oh Bezzie, what a wonderful tribute to Springs. He certainly was well loved, and there's not much harder than saying goodbye. I'm sending my warmest energies to all of you.

4:58 PM  
Blogger ccr in MA said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. The photos and your tribute are beautiful.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

RIP Springs. So sorry for your loss.

6:54 PM  
Blogger janna said...

I already said this on FB, but I'm so sorry. It's so hard, even when it's the best decision. Hugs to you and your guys.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

So sorry he is gone :0( But that picture of him modelling the sweater is hilarious :0)

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok! That post just made me cry! Dang no more stoies of the "Lap Whore"! You know he is with us all cause of you sharing his tales! RIP Springs!

Love, Mom

9:57 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Hugs!

10:48 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

So sorry. You made me remember my best cat friends who I still miss. Each one carves a place in your heart and takes it with them when they leave.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

I'm so so sorry. Sounds like he was a great cat and you guys loved him tons.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

it is so tough to put a pet down...worst thing ever. i am sorry. he had a pretty darn great life though!

10:57 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

So sorry. I've been enchanted with Bengal cats and their colorings and sizes for a while now...Springs was so pretty, in a manly way, of course.

12:19 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

:-( I'm so so sorry... that is always the toughest decision to make. My cat Stitches has been gone 15 years, and truthfully sometimes it still sucks. RIP Springs, enjoy all the toys and nip and knitted blankies you can find in kitty heaven.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I'm so so sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, sweet kitty boy...

10:16 AM  
Blogger Stickyfingers said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no, so sorry to hear. I know how they become part of the family. Hugs to you today. ---starfish

2:22 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Hugs. I still miss my 2 old kitties.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home