Friday, June 03, 2011

Longest Short Week Ever

Or so it felt!

I capped off the week with not getting paid. We have a new office manager and allegedly the payroll company did something wrong so that we'll get our paychecks on Monday, not today.

Lovely.

We could have opted to have the firm write us hard checks. But then imagine the pain in the ass it would be to have to return the paycheck that will come on Monday...ugh. No thanks.

I really need to find a new job. But right now we're concentrating on getting Dr. Mad Scientist one. His contract is up in a few weeks and then it's back to square one. Literally.

I feel bad for teachers. Their careers are pretty much made or broke on an hour of someone watching you do your job. What the hell else other job is like that?

He's had a couple of interviews, and a couple of rejections already. All told right now he's got about 30 applications out there.

And while I'm sure there are things he could have done better, when he told some of his students that he wasn't coming back next year and some of them literally cried and others wanted to take out the department head (hee hee...welcome to Newark!) I think that speaks volumes.

But I'm going to finish this post on an up note, because it's the weekend and the weather here isn't supposed to be sufferably hot.

I leave you with a snippet of my pictures from our Philadelphia Memorial Day weekend.

Thing #1 I learned about Philadelphia: Ben Franklin is always watching you!

100_0398
From the facade of City Hall...

100_0446
...to the Library of the American Philosophical Society...

100_0474
...to fire station plazas...

100_0480
...from his final resting place...

100_0442
...and finally from face down on a $100 bill in a fountain in Washington Square. So I don't know if it's a real $100 bill, but the fact it was in such great condition in the water leads me to believe it is.

There were three homeless dudes sleeping on the benches around this fountain and you know it was obviously put there intentionally--assuming it was real--it seemed wrong to fish it out!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy! I hope my pay is in my account! I should have gotten paid today also!

So do you think that Ol' Ben is followed you home and is watching you now?

Good luck to Dr MS!

Love, Mom

9:29 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Wow, that really sucks not getting your pay on time, especially since you have to go all weekend without it!

Looks like a fun vacation! I'm surprised the homeless guys didn't get into a fight over that $100 bill.

I feel Dr. M.S.'s job pain. I just got laid off from my job as of May 31st. The nonprofit I worked for lost some of their funding, and eliminated 3 positions including mine. I got severance pay, and paid for my unused vacation, and I'll get unemployment, so that helps. This is my 3rd layoff from a job since 2008 though, which is downright depressing.

I hope a good teaching position turns up for Dr. M.S. soon. Sounds like he did something right, if the kids were upset to see him go.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Funny thing about that second photo - if you look closely (and we've seen it plenty of times when we go to Philly), Ben Franklin is wearing a toga with a buttoned-up collared shirt :)

7:54 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Crap! What a PIA!! Hope you get it soon!

Sending job vibes to hubby and then to you! So by that time you can send them back to me...I'll need it, I've not applied for a job in over 17 years OMG!!!

8:53 PM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

I hope you both can find new jobs soon. Maybe it is time to pack up and move back to AK?

8:12 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

wow the ben franklin thing is really creepy.

i hope your husband finds a new job soon. searching for jobs blows.

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Accommodation Pag Apartment said...

these buildings are well maintained...

5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home