Saturday, June 25, 2011

Release

Thursday was my birthday.

For my birthday I bought more blueberries so I could make 8 jars of jam--

100_0721

Now with 100% less glass. I should have gone with my instinct before. But I started reading up on blueberry jam on the internet and the recipes I kept looking at kept saying to heat to 221 degrees.

Stupid stupid.

So the second time around, no temperature monitoring. Just a stockpot full o'Jersey blueberries, four and a half cups of sugar, a shot of lemon juice and you stir the whole thing for an hour and a half to two hours.

Also on Thursday Dr. Mad Scientist had another job interview.

This was his fifth one.

Interviews #1, #2 and #4 he interviewed for and did not get.

Interview #3 happened three weeks ago and he was invited to give a practice lesson shortly thereafter (I guess practice lessons are the teaching equivalent to a second interview, plus they get some free labor out of applicants.)

We still haven't heard back from #3. I assume he didn't get it because they started advertising for the position again. The least they could do is reply to his email asking the status. There's nothing worse than stringing along a job-seeker. Dicks.

Anyway, needless to say, we weren't holding out much hope for Interview #5.

I was off work for my birthday (as part of my end-of-school-fill-the-childcare-gap). When he came home after the interview, he told me it went well--which usually is an indication that he didn't get the job! (The aforementioned rejections he had a positive feeling about after he got back--the one he got to do the practice lesson for he thought the first interview didn't go all that well).

He told me that they wanted him to come in for a practice lesson (summer school session) and then he paused when retelling the story--and then said that at that point the Principal interrupted and said "I really don't think I need to see a practice lesson, would you like the job?"

HOORAY!!! Best birthday present ever!

So come Fall, Dr. Mad Scientist will no longer be working at the institutional cesspool that is known as Newark Public Schools and instead will be working for a high school here in Our Town.

The school is actually a vocational/technical school that's part of a county set of high schools that have their own county-run school board.

The Principal is actually a graduate of the high school.

It's a Blue Ribbon School.

It's a five minute commute for him!

It's actually more money than he made at his old job (not like that matters...as long as he can cover Moochie's daycare, we're golden).

And the best part: He'll be teaching biology! He taught chemistry this past year, but his first true teaching science love was biology.

So, did you make it this far?

Good. I will reward you with pictures.

Pictures of something I made to grace the walls of his new biology classroom this fall.

Dissected Frog Wall Hanging

It's a dead frog!

My favorite part?

Dissected Frog Wall Hanging

This little detail!

Unzip Mr. Froggy to reveal--

Dissected Frog Wall Hanging

His dissected innards!

Ha ha!

The pattern is my own. I googled some diagrams of dissected frogs, drew the frog body applique and innards.

I appliqued the innards into the "cavity" of the frog, sewed the two abdominal "flaps" with zippers an then appliqued the whole thing onto the brown background (remember those brown wax dissecting trays?).

For the quilting I just traced around him and then just kind of doodle-traced around that original outline.

The binding is my favorite kind--just flipping the backing over the edge.

Speaking of the backing--it's morbidly cute!

Sharing my KODAK MOMENTS with you!

Ha ha!

I even gave him a bit of a New Jersey twist by inking his scientific name on the tag below him.


Dissected Frog Wall Hanging

He's not actually a Hyla andersonii, but I couldn't resist!

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Ellie said...

YAAAAY! Yay for glass-free jam, and yay for employment :D Congratulations!!
(And, the future science geeks of the world thank you for that amazing wall hanging. They don't get much better than that!)

8:41 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Wow, what a wonderful blessing that Dr. M.S. got such a great job, and on your birthday of all days!

That has to be the most awesome quilt/wall hanging ever - I'm sure his students will love it!

Happy belated birthday, too!

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to coy Ellie....Yaaaay! For glass free jam! Yay for teaching job for DrMS! Cute frog wall hanging for DrMS's classroom!

Love, Mom

11:18 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Glad your new batch is glass free..what a bummer that was! I agree, they should let you know if you didn't get it...we waited like a month...Anyhow, so glad for Dr. MS's new job and commute! Love the frog wall hanging, excellent!

11:20 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Great news all around -- glass-free jam, a great-sounding job, and a quilted frog!

11:34 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I'm glad you got such a fantastic birthday present!!

I hate frogs, have a crazy unexplainable fear of them but that is really cute. And really funny. And most of all clever as hell! Good luck to Dr MS!

6:22 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Love the frog! Congrats to your family, and yay for biology (much more interesting than chemistry in my book!)

6:58 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

That is fabulous news - both the job and the jam ;0) Congratulations Bezzie family.
I'm sure you've seen this knitted frog:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/biology-101
and rat:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lab-rat
for when you have a few spare moments :0)

7:58 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

So awesome about the job!!

Seriously, that is the greatest quilt ever!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Congratulations, Dr. MS! Bezzie, you are too crafty for words :)

11:03 AM  
Blogger ccr in MA said...

And I was going to say congratulations for glass-free jam! That's excellent news about the job. Congrats to all!

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to Mr MS!!! Yahoo. And the quilt is too cute. Hope you are well!!!

-Starfish

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Marie Grace said...

Thats the cutest quilted frog I have ever seen. And a big woo-hoo! to the Mad Scientist on the J. O. B.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Happy Belated Birthday. A job offer is indeed a wonderful gift!

You made the blueberry jam sound so good I think I'll have to make some on my days off this week. My whole family loves the stuff.

I've seen knitted versions of the disected frog but yours is the first quilted one I've seen. It's adorable. I taught high school biology for a while and would have loved having that hanging up.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Carina said...

I soooo want the frog quilt, and I think that job sounds awesome! Tech/Voc ed is a wonderful place to be. :) Tell him an extra congrats from me.

Now if I can just get the job I'm interviewing for on Wednesday, it'll be perfect.

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Alloggio Zrce Novalja Isola Pago said...

I love frog....

5:37 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

okay i love the quilt...you rock!

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home