Saturday, June 18, 2011

Saturday Deep Thoughts

This might not be something you know about if you don't live near places with Hispanic populations or watch Spanish language TV...

But why does the T-Mobile girl have a Latina twin?

100_0660
(click to embiggen--sorry about the rainy-day drive-by shot)

She looks almost exactly like the Gringa version, but I swear her dresses are a smidge longer in the hem.

I'm holding out for a Spanish speaking Verizon Can You Hear Me Now Guy (even though he's officially retired).

¿Puedes oírme ahora?

And finally, continuing in the vein of shit I see while I'm driving around:

100_0622

Why would anyone patronize a gas station where the gas is $1.02/gallon less across the street?

And no, it's not because the expensive station is full-serve and the other isn't--New Jersinians enjoy the fact they don't have to pump their own gas. Little do they know it probably contributes to their leadfoot/flip-you-the-bird-if-you're-going-too-slow tendencies.

Pumping your own gas is MUCH faster.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger janna said...

How could the gas prices be THAT different? They're both national brands. That's just weird....

6:31 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I hate pumping my own gas. I feel like a moron when I do it. It may be one of the few reasons I LOVE NJ. ;)

7:54 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

I haven't noticed the verison girl, but the State Farm guy in the English commercials is also in the Spanish ones - he's bilingual and it was cool to see like, virtually the same commercial but with a different agent.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I've never noticed the Verizon girl either, but I like multicultural advertising. Of course, when my husband and I went grocery shopping recently, and saw a crate of oranges with a photo of a Hispanic guy on it, I thought that was pretty stereotypical!

What irks me is when gas is more expensive the closer you get to the inner city. My husband and I live in a working class suburb bordering Cleveland, and gas in our neighborhood or in Cleveland is always at least 20 cents a gallon higher than farther out, in the wealthier suburbs. No kidding. So the people who can least afford higher gas prices end up having to pay more than those who can.

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well....on the gas thing Exxon is still paying for that spill up here.

I haven't seen the Verison girls, Spanish or english. So I don't know what to tell you.

Love, Mom

1:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On gas prices: We've been asking my dad that question for over 25 years!

I suspect it's because they service our cars...

12:31 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

My people's numbers are growing rapidly. We're taking over... ahhh! ;)

Also, I hate letting someone else pump my gas. I'd rather do it myself everytime.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home