Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tweet Tweet

When I met my Youngest Younger Sister in Philadelphia over Memorial Day weekend, she brought me something she had been promising to mail me for a while, but never got around to it.

It was this sweater.

100_0648.JPG

A nice little purple cotton zippered hoodie that she got from American Eagle.

She gave it to me because it was ruined with two or three of these:

100_0649.JPG

Basically she gave it to me because it had a really nice metal zipper and she knew I'd enjoy ripping the zipper out and using it for something else.

But when I ripped the zipper out, I felt kind of guilty just throwing the rest of the holey sweater away.

With Toni Janome, and this pattern in mind, along with a few scraps of fabric from my stash, I made Youngest Younger Sister this:

100_0655.JPG

A little birdie pillow.

I used a coordinating fat quarter I had in my stash for the back of the pillow.

100_0652.JPG

All I did was applique a birdie out of some scraps on the back of the sweater. Then I cut out a decent sized square from the back of the sweater (I left the bottom ribbing in because I thought it gave an interesting effect. Maybe it looks like grass...and the birdie is floating over it...ha ha!).

Then I just sewed an identical sized square of the aforementioned fat quarter onto the back, stuffed it, and sewed it shut.

(But seriously, who doesn't know how to make a pillow in theory at least?)

I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. The pillow could use to be a bit fluffier, but I ran out of stuffing!

Now, just as she kept forgetting to mail me down the sweater, I need to remind myself to mail her up the pillow!

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger knottygnome said...

great pillow and very resourceful of you!

i love the bird applique.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

That is SO cute! I love random throw pillows :-) And, dude, get out of my head with the sewing... On a whim yesterday I took my machine out, grabbed a couple of fat quarters, and made myself a project bag. Now I want to take the two felted sweaters I've been saving, waiting for inspiration, and make throw pillows out of them.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Very cute pillow!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Cute birdie. Goes with the leaf pattern on the back :0) Excellent job.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Oh wow, is that cute, and very clever!

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That birdie pillow is really cute! It will go nice with her chair!

Love, Mom

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super! What a good sister. I started using a king size soft filled bed pillow. They were 2 for $7 at Costco. It's been 3 yrs on the same one so far, it seems to be as nice as the fabric store bags.
Seven

5:51 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Totally cute and great upcycle. Gotta say, it looks better as a pillow!

9:43 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

What a clever idea. The bird is cute and the sweater gets a whole new life. I once made a pillow out of a favorite t shirt because it got ripped beyond repair and I didn't want to part with it.

Toni Janome is a helpful friend.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

'Put a bird on it' - it's ART!!! Love the pillow, it's adorable.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

lovely upcycling!

7:49 PM  
Blogger janna said...

That's just adorable!

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Accommodation Pag Apartment said...

beautiful made...

5:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home