Monday, June 20, 2011

Vay-Kaye-Shun

Tomorrow I say farewell to being the mom of a third grader (Dr. Mad Scientist astutely pointed out that Chunky will officially be halfway through elementary school by 12:30 p.m. EST tomorrow...gah!).

And I will say hello to five(ish)* days of vacation!

The school year for Chunky ends tomorrow and Dr. Mad Scientist doesn't start unemployment until June 28. So there's a five business day gap where we didn't have anyone to watch him.

Thus my seven day weekend!

There will be baking--
100_0682.JPG
This week's Cookie of the Week: oatmeal sandwich cookies--a homemade version of the Little Debbie kind. So damn good!

There will be sewing--
100_0667.JPG
A summer knitting bag I made myself this past weekend out of some oilcloth and cotton scraps I had lying around.

And depending on the weather, lounging by the "pool"--
100_0669.JPG
Basement neighbor built a platform for the pool this year so it's perfectly level. The boys are going to have a blast in this thing!

If I can accomplish all this stuff and lounging in one weekend, imagine how much fun it will be during this time off!

Although Dr. Mad Scientist and I are already making bets about how many times the office will call while I'm out. Ha ha!


*"Fiveish" because the last two days of my vacation I got called for jury duty. I was told by work I don't have to count those as vacation days. However what they don't understand at work is: ANY DAY I DON'T HAVE TO BE THERE IS VACATION! Plus I
always get boned out of taking all of my 10 days off a year. If I don't count those days as vacation days, I'll probably have to say goodbye to them on January 1, 2012. I also don't want to have to show up at work if I get dismissed early. Chunky will go to school with Dr. MS those two days and help him chip the gum off the bottom of the desks.

Labels: , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Ellie said...

Very impressive use of a weekend! The project bag is very cute - oilcloth is so much fun. Here's to hoping that jury duty is just a few days off but doesn't turn into a major committment :P Happy vay-kaye-shun!

8:27 PM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Watcha knitting with that thick red yarn? The project bag is as cute as your flowery flip-flops. Lucky boys having a pool - and the rest of the garden looks great, with the lights and the umbrella. A sweet retreat. Enjoy :0)

9:47 PM  
Blogger AudreyGS said...

I'm having trouble with having to cut my vacation short too, but I utterly and completely refuse to answer the phone for ANY work calls while I am gone. I have everyone's number, anything with a 714 area code will go unanswered, unlistened, it's their problem. Enjoy the time off, and hope you don't get empaneled on a jury!

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Those cookies look so good!
Enjoy the break from the office.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

We are considering getting a small pool for just the two of us. Membership in the local swim club is expensive and with my luck it'll be a rainy summer.

I just got a questionaire for jury duty so I figure the summons isn't far behind.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

cookies, sewing/knitting, pool....I want to be at your house. :)

And uhm, please do not remind me about school. The kid is heading for his last year in elementary and I am feeling kind of old. I am not old enough to have a 6th grader.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Cute bag, and that's a really nice pool!

I'm still surprised that kids get out of school so late there in NJ. My kids have been out for a little over two weeks now. My daughter is going into 8th grade in August, and then we'll have to start looking at high schools around October/November. Boy, does it make me feel old to think that my daughter is only a little over a year away from high school!

Hope you have a good vacation!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Great bag! Lucky you on vacation! Piper isn't out of school til Thursday and she's so antsy already.

I hope you have a great time with the boys!

6:32 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Oh and Piper finishes elementary this year. September is middle school with 4 times the amount of kids. Shoot me!

6:33 PM  
Blogger ccr in MA said...

What a great little bag! I can't sew to save my life, but that looks perfect for a knitting project. Nice job!

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute knit bag, and painted toes! Those boys will enjoy the pool! Hope you don't get caught for a jury.

Enjoy your vay-Kaye-shun!!!

Love, Mom

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Alloggio Zrce Novalja Isola Pago said...

yummy!!! feeling hungry....

5:38 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

i love your project bag...it is perfect! and those cookies and that pool....double perfect!

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Maya said...

I’m planning to commence a modest Weblog Engine training course operate employing your website I am hoping you get pleasure from running a blog using the well-known BlogEngine.web.

1:16 AM  
Anonymous Rhian said...

The cookies looks delicious! Can I have the recipe? I love your project bag...it is perfect! Thanks for sharing.

1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home