Sunday, July 03, 2011

Summer Sewing

It occurred to me that I've done a lot of sewing lately that I haven't blogged about.

Most of it occurred on my "summer vacation."

First up, a couple of additions to what I am dubbing The Summer of Dresses.

I don't know if it was the early June heat or what, but I had the urge to make myself some sundresses.

First I did this one during the throes of that early June heatwave:

100_0627

This is Simplicity 5112. I've made the discovery that with my build I can wear either fat-junior's sizes or medium women's sizes. I'm going to milk not looking my age all I can.

This dress turned out OK. It was a little shorter and a little less flowy skirt than I wanted. I pair it with a light (storebought) cardigan for the office and it looks cute.

Next us is a dress that will always be near and dear to me. I made this on Tuesday of this past week. Springs was lounging in the bathroom giving me commentary as I tried it on to adjust the fit.

100_0748
Excuse the blur...my self timer has a hard time taking non-blurry pictures.

100_0738

This is Butterick 5351 made out of a linen blend I picked up at Joanns.

I really like this dress. I like the fit, I like the length, and I like the flowy-ness of the skirt.

I did have to modify the bodice though because it was waaaay too loose. I did so by adding some armpit darts.

And finally--and this is a big thing--why? Because I'm about to reveal Moochie's real name to you in this picture (some of you already know though!)

First a little back story: He's 2 and he's starting to learn his letters.

And the day I made this was my birthday -- and I had hung up one of those dollar store "Happy Birthday" banners with the jointed letters (because it's a tradition that my best friend from college and I have--every year before the others' birthday we send the sign to them...we've been doing it for shoot, probably over 10 years now!).

Anyway, Mooch REALLY liked the Happy Birthday banner.

So I figured I'd make him something similar so he could learn the letters of his name.

100_0707

This hangs on the wall over his crib and he already can identify "I" and "O" on his own.

My favorite part is how he pronounces his name: "Kiki." Okaaaaay!

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Crafty Christina said...

The dress is super awesome, love it! Also, your counter space is amazing. Wish I had room on mycounter for cooking books.

The name banner is such a smart idea. Hee, Kiki is a good start to saying it! I have a good friend name Kiki, though her name isn't Nikolas. Happy 4th weekend!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Cute cute dresses! I'm jealous! It's always tricky getting the fit just right, like in the first one, I always find necklines like that to be too low, or to gape-y but you got it just right. I'm seriously impressed!

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I love that dress Springs helped you out with!
The name banner is very cool, he should learn to spell his name in no time!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Gorgeous dress! I wish I had your girly figure! : )

I love that name banner - what a clever idea! Of course, I'm partial to your son's name, since my son's name, Dominic, is somewhat similar!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Love the dresses!! Good that you can get them to fit you good. Me, never! Cute banner too!

1:30 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

cute dresses. I really like the second one too! And it appears he has come up with a ne blog nickname for himself...KIKI!

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute dresses!! A chip off the old block!! LOL!!! But isn't that YYS's color? Did she give you permission to use it?

You need to call me and ask about my next BIG thing!

Give that little KiKi and Chunky a hug and KISS from ME!

Love, Mom

6:37 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

I LOVE that second dress! Nice banner, too, Kiki!

11:25 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Big fan of the second dress!!

4:31 AM  
Blogger janna said...

Cute dresses, especially the second one! Cute banner, too!

9:53 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

i NEED to make some summer sundresses. thanks for the inspiration. i like both, but i really love the fabric in the second one. it's a gorgeous dress.

cute banner too!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Cute dresses, particularly Springs'. And, erm, is that a tattoo in the first photo?

5:55 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I love the banner idea! In fact I might steal it for a "I'll be three in August" child's birthday present!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

love your dresses...they are perfect!

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home