Friday, August 26, 2011

C'mon Irene!

It's my first real hurricane. I've only ever dealt with tailings.

We'll be fine though. I'm morbidly curious to see how heavy the rain will be.

Right before school ended we had a gigantic cloudburst that created some serious flash flooding (Chunky was trapped at school by flooding and a transformer fire), so it will be interesting to see how Irene measures up.

I had to go grocery shopping anyway this weekend, so I just did it earlier. The only "different" things I bought was bottled water and candles. Is it wrong that I bought shabbat candles for any possible blackouts?

And the only thing different I'll really be doing is not parking my car underneath this big ass oak tree that has plenty o'branches ripe for the falling!

I'll try to blog about my first hurricane afterwards. In the meantime, can you find the evacuation route sign?

100_1090

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Ellie said...

Daaaamn, that is one small sign. I guess it's going to whallop you before it hits us; hopefully you won't have to evacuate.

(and yes, in some weird way, the hurricane in '03 was fun, after we figured that our -80 freezer stocks were fine with the generators... then it was party week!)

Stay safe!!

8:12 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

I'm not a worrier, so I figure do what you can do to be prepared, then roll with the punches. Enjoy all the rain this weekend!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Maybe you'll luck out (depending on how bad you really wanted to be in a hurricane) and it makes a right turn...that's what happened as I waited, hunkered down in a hurricane hole on my sailboat in Mazatlan for hurricane Kenna. After all the stress and worry and humidity, I was a little let down.

As for the candles? I used to buy those huge religious ones they sold in the mexican foods asile, so it was la Virgen de Guadalupe that lit my way when the power went out...so I can't comment on that one :).

Good luck.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Holy cow, that sign is small. I'm a little nervous. We got water and all that jazz. Only thing I couldn't find were D batteries for my radio. Ehhh, so no news once the power goes out. I think the main issue for us will be the wind and trees. Is Karen's area evacuated? Catch up with you on Monday when it's all over!! Stay safe!

9:18 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Boy that sign is small! Well, I've been through a few of them ;) lived to tell the tale! Worst part was 2 little kids and no power! Ugh! Hey, those candles burn right ;) Stay dry!

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We will be think about you! Stay safe and take care of those boys!
Love, MOm

11:42 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Darn, now I've got the title song stuck in my head, ha, ha!

Didn't you have some kind of transformer fire or outage before? I remember you writing something about it.

I'm afraid of hurricanes and floods, so this is actually one of the times when I'm glad that I don't live anywhere the ocean, or any bodies of water besides the lake.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the hurricane passes by without any major damage!

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Lol, I love the title.

Yeah. Clearly they want everyone to see that. Good luck in the coming storm!

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you got things under control. Be safe. Love, Aunt Susan

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home