Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Potpourri

I'll take Potpourri for $500, Alex!

First up, a Pot Garden update.

Most of my stuff has come and gone. The okra's still doing well but there's a big-ass orb spider living on the plant, so I've kind of let it go. Ha ha.

I'm waiting for these bad boys to get red:

100_1058.JPG

Mmmm...Tabasco peppers!

Next up, some FOs.

100_1053.JPG

Some simple stockinette anklets that I'll wear around the house this winter. This was the other skein of Lorna's Laces (Mixed Berries) that matched my Ringwood Gloves from late last winter.

I also finished this sweater last week as well.

100_1028.JPG

The details:

Pattern: Leaflet

Yarn: Lion Brand Jiffy in "Fisherman"

Needles: US 10

Notes: I liked this sweater. But I've always been a big fan of top-down knit sweaters.

What I'm not too fond of is the puckering where the collar meets the edge of the sweater. I should have added some more stitches as I hit the neckline I suppose.

100_1032.JPG

The only mod I made was adding a button and buttonhole. Not sure I like it. Maybe as winter progresses I'll change my mind!

But I do love the lace inset on the back!

100_1036.JPG

Finally, like many of my fellow sardines east coasters, at 2pm I felt my first Lower 48 earthquake.

As the building started to sway (I work on the 5th floor) was "Hmm, that's a bit disconcerting."

My second thought was that our old building was finally just collapsing. It's not like it's condemned, but it's not the nicest building.

When I finally thought "Oh, earthquake!" I grabbed my purse and keys and fled the building. Which is pretty stupid to do while the building is still shaking.

We were only evacuated for a half hour or so.

001

002

The whole thing was a real eye opener. I learned that:

1. I need to bone up on my earthquake reactionary skills;
2. Brick/concrete buildings are scary during earthquakes; and
3. We gotta get the hell out of New Jersey, this place is SO not prepared for earthquakes.

The biggest thing I've noticed about living out here is the complacency of a lot of people.

"Oh we don't get tornadoes here!"
And then a tornado touches down in Brooklyn.
Or "We don't get earthquakes!"
And of course today's event happens.

I don't care where the Bezes eventually land, but when we do, our house will be made of flexible wood and we will have a tornado shelter/basement.

Before I leave, let me keep it light--tomorrow the new Knitcircus goes live. Fall and sweaters are right around the corner!!!



Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Ellie said...

Love that sweater... I really need to get off my butt and finish a sweater for myself. And what was up with that earthquake? I'm slightly freaked out... although at the time I was with friends at a movie, and thought someone was kicking my chair ;)

8:08 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Well, we felt it here in WI. Or at least, I could have - I was on the 1st floor so don't think I noticed it, but our 2nd and 3rd floors did!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

I don't know that you can ever be 'ready' for an earthquake. I'd been in a bunch in CA before the one that hit in WA. And still I sat there in my chair thinking "this can't be an earthquake" while all my coworkers were getting under their desks. No place is completely safe, your best bet is to do the all purpose preparedness thing... and you're practical nature probably puts you ahead of most in that regard anyway.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

'your' .... d'oh!

10:36 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Cute sweater and socks! I really admire how proficient you are with the knitting.

The local newspaper here in Cleveland said a lot of people felt the earthquake here too, but I didn't feel anything. We did have a minor earthquake here last fall, which I felt when I was at work (7th floor of a high rise building). It is disconcerting when a building starts swaying all of the sudden!

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know someone who would like a sweater like that!!!

As for the EQ....I read about the one in CO and when I came home from work your father said something about the VA one. He had not heard of the CO one. Find yourself a map and you will see that both quakes are parallel of each other or darn close! My thinking is there is a fault line there that needed some relieve at both ends!

Love, Mom

12:04 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

So, what'll you do with the peppers? Nice sweater! What a day, yikes!

3:08 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

We felt it but weren't evacuated. My job isn't into employee safety, haha. I thought it was construction at first. Durr to me.

Love the design on that sweater!! Beautiful!

Our garden has been mostly snatched away by evil squirrels.

4:42 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

We are so not ready for earthquakes here. But, to be fair, in my 53 years, we have not had one that was big enough to be felt. It was a totally new experience for me and one I'd like to not ever repeat.

We stood around in the lobby of our building (also not the best idea in hindsight) for about a half an hour and then headed back to work. Only problem was they stopped the trains across the bridge leaving us stranded in Phila. Luckily, we found a ride home with someone who had driven in. An intetesting afternoon.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

The earthquake missed my area, but yanno...I DON'T know what to do in case of earthquake....I should probably find out...

7:22 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Cute sweater! And your recipe in the new KnitCircus looks really yummy!

9:58 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

that's a really nice sweater! it's on my list of things i'll probably never have time to make.

i felt the earthquake in my office. but here it was only a very minor rumbling.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Lovely sweater! I would have to find a way to relocate that spider -- I love okra.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

The stained glass ornament in my window began rattling, and I got up to look out to see if a helicopter was passing too close to the building. Then I noticed that the window was waving ever so slightly, and the floor was shaking. My assessment changed to an accident in our basement parking garage. It took 5 seconds to figure it out, went on for maybe 15 or 20 more. Then nothing. And the aftermath was that it made me oddly, motion sick. We left the building, but I could not see why at that point.

The weather weenies and Earth Science people think they died and went to heaven. An earthquake and a hurricane, all in one week.

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home