Wednesday, August 10, 2011

TPS Report

This is the story of my potatoes.

You'll remember in the winter, I opened my cupboard to discover the baby potatoes I had saved from my harvest last year had gone mutanty on me.

100_9903-2.jpg

I was a little worried because they had gone so berserker in the dark cupboard, but I planted them anyway, and soon I had my 2011 Pot Potato descendant from the 2007 grocery store potato I had planted on a whim.

100_0638

And then you'll remember about a month ago, I discovered these growing on my pot potato:

100_0814

Creepy!

But with a little research I discovered they were "potato berries" and inside they were full of true potato seeds.

I did some research on how to properly harvest true potato seeds.

Here's what I did.

I took my potato berry...

068

...and cut it into quarters.

070
See? Just like their cousin tomatoes--but with poison!

Next, I took my knife and scraped the seeds from the hull of the potato berry.

071

I put the seed goo into a little paper dixie cup (although I imagine any small container would do).

072

I added some water to the cup.

073

Then I put the cup on the windowsill in my kitchen and let it sit for weeks. The premise was, that the seeds would sink to the bottom and the schmutz from the rest of the potato berry would rise to the top.

I also forgot to take a picture of what the cup looked like after a few weeks.

But after I felt everything had fermented enough, I poured off the stuff at the top of the cup carefully.

Next I poured the rest of the water on a coffee filter (although the tutorials I read online said a paper towel would work too) and I let it dry.

003

You'll see some schmutz survived the pour-off, but no worries.

004

After the seeds had dried, I gently scraped them off with my thumbnail and now they're stored in an envelope for the spring.

It's going to be a really interesting spring to see if I can't get these babies to sprout!

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger janna said...

Hmmmm........ do you think they'll taste any different! ;-)

8:04 PM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

I LOVE this saga. I'll be tuning in summer 2012 for the next installment :0) Well done Mrs B.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Very cool! I can't wait to see if your potato seeds grow potatoes.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

And the potato goes on.... hehe...very interesting. Looking forward to seeing what pops up next year!

9:12 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're very patient and resourceful! I would have put the potato gunk in a cup, and then forgotten about it.

I generally have a black thumb when it comes to plants, usually because I forget to water them. Good thing my kids and cat let me know when they're hungry, ha, ha!

1:04 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

I agree with Laura... you've got amazing patience! I hope you get a nice crop out of them next year. You know, I just finished reading a book about women homesteaders in the 1980s. I think you would have made a very successful homesteader with that green thumb of yours! Me? I would have starved, haha.

4:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting....but why wait till next spring? Why not do an indoor potato pot plant?

Love, Mom

7:15 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

That is so weird. I had no idea that potatos grew from seeds. I don't know where I thought they originally came from but seeds never entered my mind. I'm thinking maybe the potato fairy came and blessed the potato fields if they were very sincere......

7:43 AM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

Yeah, that mutanty stuff? Can't handle it. You were very brave.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

That is so exciting!!

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home