You'll remember in the winter, I opened my cupboard to discover the baby potatoes I had saved from my harvest last year had gone mutanty on me.
I was a little worried because they had gone so berserker in the dark cupboard, but I planted them anyway, and soon I had my 2011 Pot Potato descendant from the 2007 grocery store potato I had planted on a whim.
And then you'll remember about a month ago, I discovered these growing on my pot potato:
But with a little research I discovered they were "potato berries" and inside they were full of true potato seeds.
I did some research on how to properly harvest true potato seeds.
Here's what I did.
I took my potato berry...
...and cut it into quarters.
See? Just like their cousin tomatoes--but with poison!
Next, I took my knife and scraped the seeds from the hull of the potato berry.
I put the seed goo into a little paper dixie cup (although I imagine any small container would do).
I added some water to the cup.
Then I put the cup on the windowsill in my kitchen and let it sit for weeks. The premise was, that the seeds would sink to the bottom and the schmutz from the rest of the potato berry would rise to the top.
I also forgot to take a picture of what the cup looked like after a few weeks.
But after I felt everything had fermented enough, I poured off the stuff at the top of the cup carefully.
Next I poured the rest of the water on a coffee filter (although the tutorials I read online said a paper towel would work too) and I let it dry.
You'll see some schmutz survived the pour-off, but no worries.
After the seeds had dried, I gently scraped them off with my thumbnail and now they're stored in an envelope for the spring.
It's going to be a really interesting spring to see if I can't get these babies to sprout!
Labels: Great Urban Potato Experiment