Friday, September 30, 2011

Breezing In

To say that Chunk had a great day.

Dr. Mad Scientist accompanied him to the surgery center (which was quite easy to find since we had just played that town's football team two weeks ago and was only a few blocks from the playing field).

Moochie and I stayed home (more on that later).

The surgery went without a hitch. Well the only "complications" were that they put four pins in his elbow as opposed to 3 and he couldn't get a red cast like he wanted (to match his football team's colors). He had to settle for a Colorado State green. Not a bad second choice! Ha ha!

When he woke up, he said his pain was only a "3."

Which reminds me, how hilarious is this pain chart?

wong_faces_sample_20081105


We have determined that Level 6 is about the face you might make if your goldfish died.

And then the boys determined that Level 8 is the "Costco Mom Face" indicating my level of pain/anger at having to go to Costco on a weekend.

Chunky's such a tough kid, he never said his pain was worse than his goldfish dying.

Anyway, he's feeling much better now that he's got the real cast on and everything pushed back into place. He's not moving like an old man with hemorrhoids now.

Sunday we'll even go to his football game and he'll jersey-up and cheer his teammates from the bench.

But back to the reason Moochie and I didn't go. The first reason was, even though it was a relatively short surgery (he was in at 9 a.m. and on the road by noon), entertaining a toddler in a waiting for hours didn't really seem appealing.

The second reason was, back last week, I made a decision that it was time to get Mr. Mooch a big-boy bed. I timed it so I could have it delivered while I was off from work (Thursday and Friday were planned vacation days for me as Mooch's daycare was closed for Rosh Hashanah). That was obviously pre-elbow shatter.

Anyway, it was delivered, and hopefully he won't fall out of it and break his elbow!!

002

Why yes, that is a custom made SpongeBob pillowcase I made for him out of a couple of fabric panels and extra flannel from his jammie pants.

Now all he's missing from this bed is a quilt of his very own.

If only I knew someone with a brand new spiffy quilting machine...

284718_254387644588086_100000505571451_1067383_4775360_n

Hmmm...

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear that Chunky is doing fine! And going to cheer on his teammates!

Hey! I have the blocks ready to be put together....I just have to finish this one quilt!

Love, Mom

PS: I'm sticking out my tongue on purpose! (Your father wouldn't take the picture if I didn't!)

11:51 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Sorry to hear about Chunky breaking his elbow! He's one brave kid though! I broke my right wrist a few years ago, and I was a total wimp about the pain.

I hope Chunky has a quick recovery from the surgery.

Cute picture of Moochie, by the way!

12:02 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

P.S. You can buy a fold-down bed rail to go on the side of Moochie's big boy bed, to keep him from falling out. I had one for my son when he first started sleeping in a regular bed. It seemed to help ease the transition from the crib, too. I think I got it at Target.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe..love that picture of your Mom! Sweet machine she has. Aww Moochie looks so cute in his little bed with Spongebob! So glad Chunky's surgery went pretty well despite the extra bionic part ;)

ETA: my word verification....doodleni...wild

12:37 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

"Costco Mom Face." Muahahahaha! That's freaking hilarious! Glad to hear Chunky is doing well and going to be cheering on his teammates!

-T.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Do tell the "HQ Sweet Sixte....." story. Looking forward to seeing what the BezMom whips up :0)

8:28 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Glad to hear all went well with Chunky! And yay for Moochie with the big boy bed. I second what Luara said about the fold down side rail. Pip had one for awhile and it helped her feel secure until she "got" sleeping away from the edge of the bed.

Ooooh, Bez's Mom... you're quilting machine looks spiffy!

9:35 AM  
Blogger janna said...

So glad everything went fine!

1:36 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

i like how the pain chart doesn't believe in articles.

"hurt more. me sad."

great to hear your son's ok!

8:19 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

love your mom sewing there...best photo! it is perfect that you share a love for crafting!

so glad the surgery went well....lots of healing vibes his way.

and big boy bed!!! where did that go? congrats to moochie!

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home