Friday, September 16, 2011

Sew Tiny

Ever since I discovered sewing (and especially since I got my sweet little Toni Janome), I've been a kitchen table sewer.

Meaning, I always had to haul Toni out of her spot in the bathroom linen closet.

It's been kind of a pain, but I've made do. But I finally decided, and I won't lie--some silverfish in the bathroom linen closet helped me--to find Toni a new home.

I decided the bedroom was the best place to put her as we recently have some freed up space in there--but still not a lot of room.

I had been keeping my eyes on the curb on Fridays (big-trash-day eve), but everything I saw that fit the bill was wooden. I can't have wooden furniture in the bedroom anymore (maybe more on that later).

Scouring the internet I discovered the perfect solution--the typewriter table/stand*!

001

It's the perfect size for Toni (and honestly not that much smaller than the space on the kitchen table I was using before).

And when I'm done sewing, the eaves fold down and she can be tucked away into the "crafty corners" section of my bedroom out of the way.

002

First up on the agenda for my new tiny sewing space will probably be a cover for Ms. Toni.

Stay tuned!



*Specifically a "mid-century" typewriter table. I absolutely love the way people are referring to the 50s as "mid-century" now. Does this mean my parents are "mid-century" models? Ha ha!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! You shut your mouth about your parents!

Real like that table! It is perfect!

If you cover her up you won't use her! out of sight out of mind!

Love, Mom

9:23 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Cute! I like Ms. Toni, she's lovely.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Perfect table! It's so nice not to have to clear the kitchen table off all the time too!

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

That's the perfect table. I've always had a hard time with little tables and the sewing machine, they want to wiggle all over creation- that one doesn't look like it's going to do that.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Now I'm wondering what my mom did with my "mid century" typewriter table...because I owned that exact model. It last held an ancient Royal electric behemoth. And if it didn't shake apart from that, it should be perfect for sewing!

Don't forget to tell us about why no wooden furniture...I'm intrigued :).

11:16 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Clever idea!

I sew on the kitchen table too, and I hate having to drag my machine out, and put it back when I'm done (I keep it in the box it came in). I've been longing for a real sewing table, but it's more a matter of having the money for one, rather than the space.

Can't wait to see what you come up with for a sewing machine cover!

2:56 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

great solution! very cool.

8:51 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

There is so much to be said for having dedicated spaces for your crafts. I sew more when I can access the basement that's set up for this purpose (I'm a slob. It was ridiculous for almost a year. It's better now.) And I'm really looking forward to having a dedicated spot for my loom. Your little typewriter table looks PERFECT. I love it!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I'm a kitchen table/dining room table sewer, too. Which means that I have to pull out the machine and then put it away. I have a spare room now and am looking for a table to put the sewing machine on. I'd like a pull down table that attaches to the wall but we'll see.

I'd use the machine more if it were more easily accessible.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

Holy crow! That means I'm a mid-century model....how quaint!

9:18 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

it makes a big difference having a space to sew...even a small space. i have a little space and it is perfect. i have sewn so much lately....a lot that would not have been easy using the kitchen table.

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home