Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Rhinebeck Roundup!

Wow.

It IS everything everyone says it is.

Jen, Chris and I met in Parsippany (just say it, fun, right?) and carpooled to Rhinebeck. Aside from the GPS deciding to take us off the NY Thruway for 7 miles only to get back on it, we got there just in time to stand in line.

001

To the fairground operators' credit--they did a great job herding everyone into the fairgrounds in an orderly fashion.

One of the first places we stopped was the infamous booth--The Fold.

002

Too crowded for my blood! And there weren't even the fabled lines snaking out of the booth and thru the building! But I can say now that I've "been there and done that."

You can't forget the food.

003
I basically took that one for my Mom. She digs cows.

005

The Pillsbury Boy Death Food Cart. Aww...poor Poppin' Fresh!

And of course you can't go to a fiber festival without enjoying some of the meatly-bounty of the sheep!

004

Roast lamb sandwich!

We didn't go thru any of the animal barns...but I did snap a picture of what I believe was the llama parade (unless they're alpacas).

007

And the people watching was amazing! My fave had to be the guy Chris pointed out to me sporting a head of balding purple hair. Because, as she put it, if you dye it purple, no one will notice it's falling out!

We even saw the Ravelry Royalty walking around (sans drooling mob, which I was a bit surprised at).

But the best was this woman (on the right) while I was standing in line to purchase a book (more on that later).

008

Sweet mother of fatzah! Blech! The only thing that would make that sweater authentic is if she spun the yarn she knit it out of from attic insulation.

Of course at the end of the day we had to take a picture of the back of Jen's car packed to the gills with all of our purchases.

009

Ha ha! Actually I bought some yarn too that didn't make it into that picture.

Here's what I walked away with:

001

Starting with the book (where I was when I snapped the picture of Squirrel Sweater), I couldn't resist. In fact we went back to get that one! I love Mochi-Mochi and the mini ones are just too much. I swear the older I get the more cutesy-girly I get. We then stood in line to get our books autographed.

The bag of fiber you see there is 2 ozs. of the most incredibly soft fiber I think I've ever touched. It's a camel/silk blend that I purchased from Skaska Designs. It was $25. That's pretty rich for my blood, but when I realized that they're HQed in Fort Collins, CO (Go Rams!) I caved. Had a nice conversation with the guy running the money box about how much Ft.C has changed in the 10 years or so since we've been there.

And finally, I think you know what the last ball of yarn there is.

Yes. Quiviut. Not 100% though. I couldn't cave that much. It's the "Luxury" blend--45% quiviut/45% merino/10% mullberry silk.

I bought this at Windy Valley. Now one of the reasons I wanted to stop there is because this farm used to be located in lovely Palmer, Alaska.

But I guess, unbeknownst to me, they sold the farm and moved to Yuma, CO.

The guy running the money box there really didn't have anything nice to say about Palmer. He mainly complained about the weather. Which, to be quite honest having lived in both Palmer and Colorado--I'll take Palmer ANY day. And dude, it's Alaska of course the sun's not going to shine!

I guess since I was born and raised in the Land of the Midnight Overcast Sun, I don't mind the rain and crappy weather.

All in all though--it was a great little road trip and I'd love to go again!

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger T. Budnik said...

If you want to make me mini chickens and mini gnomes for xmas, by all means go ahead...that's what Clint wants, too. Haha!

Looks like you had a good time!

7:26 PM  
Blogger Ellie said...

:) It's nice even to just see everyone's photos... although I think if I'm still in the northeast next year, I have to go one more time. Keep us posted on the quiviuk - I'm keen to know what the honest opinion on it is :)
(holycrap - my word verification is 'string'!) ;-)

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! I liked the cow when you put it on fb and I still like it!

I agree with T make me some mini cows and gnomes for xmas. You know what your father wants.

Glad that you had fun and that you got yourself something!!!

11:33 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Again, I'm sorry I didnt run into you again! No comment on "That" sweater,,, Your mom might appreciate when my hubby calls me and texts me and moo's, lol. And on a last note, your Fold pic? I so have to tell my friend from Texas that roomed with me, that's her directly under the Fold's sign! We kept getting lost from each other, and at least its proof she was there!

3:42 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

I have been eyeing that book for a while now and procrastinating about getting it. Rhinebeck sounds like a lot of fun. I'm doing it on a smaller scale this weekend, at SAFF - my 1st :0) I think you were right about the llama - aren't alpaca bigger?

4:58 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

One day I'll go. My husband wants to go to the Aerodome there (who knew there was anything other than knitters there?)

I've spun the camel/silk. It gets everywhere! It's like very fine human hair. I had to use one of those sticky rollers when I was done to clean up all around me. I only wish I had waited to spin it until I was a better spinner. I kind of made a mess (a soft, shiny mess) out of it but it was fun to play with.

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Love the picture of the loot :-)
Sounds like a fun trip! There's nothing like a fiber fest anywhere within this region.

7:04 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

sounds like you had a great time! i thought you had gone to Rhinebeck before--was this your first trip?

i've spun camel/silk before. i found it difficult to spin but it was super soft. can't wait to see what you do with your new yarn!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

You neglected to mention that you ran into ME at the potties, or that you held (but did not eat) the alcoholic cupcakes!

I was petting an alpaca, and heard the woman say that you can tell them apart by the ears. One has ears that stand straight up, and the other has ears that are bent at the tips. Now, which one is which, I can't remember. :)

11:54 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

OMG! Gimme P, gimme an A, gimme an RSI... P-P-A-N-Y!

Dude, that's where I'm from (well, Lake Hiawatha) but I was a Parsippany Panther's cheerleader.

Uh, yeah, glad you got to Rhinebeck, I'm sure that was almost as cool as my hometown. ;)

10:26 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Haha, the Llama parade made me giggle!

9:28 AM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

I'm sad that I missed you at Rhinebeck!

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home