Thursday, October 20, 2011

Top 5

Elizabeth had posted this top five list to her Facebook feed of online knitting magazines (she's not the author of the list, just place I first saw it).

Of course I agree with the #1 choice...ha ha!

I think I'd put knitty.com above Twist Collective though. Twist Collective, while beautiful and gorgeous, gives off an elitist air to me.

Not a "We're better than you!" elitism, but a "You've gotta be a pretty experienced knitter to knit any of the stuff in our magazine!" vibe.

Maybe "elite" isn't the right word. Not as accessible?

But the same goes for print magazines.

Obviously your Knit Simple isn't going to be on the same wavelength as say Vogue Knitting or Interweave Knits. So maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges in giving my opinion there.

I do know that's why I enjoy Knitcircus and knitty. They have a nice blend of multi-level projects.

And of course the baked goods in Knitcircus are just the best..ha ha!

What do you think? How would you rank your favorite online knitting magazines?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger knottygnome said...

yes, clearly KC deserves props for the baked goods. though it'd be even better if they could deliver Bezzinated cupcakes right to my door. ;-)

7:08 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I'm definitely a knitty fan but knitcircus comes right behind (and edging up!). Twist Collective isn't even on the list. I've heard too many bad things (from experienced knitters who know these things) about their patterns to fall in love with them.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I've never heard of Tangled. The others would make my list, but in a different order. I'm a loyal Knitty fan (Amy Singer stalker here!), and I do love the beauty of Twist Collective. KC of course, is awesome as well, though I have yet to make anything from their baked goods column....I'm a slacker.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Johnny Vasquez said...

What I love about these lists is everyone comes at them from a different angle. I'm big on technology and how that affects the industry. I've also started designing and submitting to these magazines. So my reasons for ranking them vary greatly from those who maybe just want fun stuff to knit.

I'm glad the post has been a conversation starter.

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummmmmmm.....I don't knit. I leave that up to you! I'll stick to my sewing and quilting.

Love, Mom

6:07 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I have to admit that I don't really read any online knitting magazines, gulp!

As far as paper knitting magazines go, I like Knit Simple and Knitting Today. The other magazines (Vogue Knitting, etc.) all seem to only have stuff that's way beyond my skill level - elaborate cables, charts, Fair Isle, fancy socks, etc.

Yep, even knitted socks still confound me - I can't do short rows, and trying to knit with thread-thin yarn and tiny dpns scares me!

8:33 AM  
Blogger janna said...

I don't think Twist Collective is elitist at all. Yes, their stuff is more advanced, but some people like to challenge themselves. I get overwhelmingly tired of people who won't branch beyond their comfort zone (and not just in knitting!).

(Little rant there, I know.....)

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home