Friday, October 14, 2011

Week In Review, or Yes, I Can

I actually took off Columbus Day -- a floating holiday for our firm (you get MLK or Columbus Day off. I'm all about the MLK but coming off of the Christmas/New Year's holidays, I don't NEED another day off like I NEED a mid-October day off).

Anyway, I got a LOT done.

I scored the makings for Moochie and Chunky's Halloween costumes. Those will be made next weekend.

And basically I finished up the canning season.

I started by taking the last of the habaneros and jalapenos from the bushes that Basement Neighbor planted for Upstairs Neighbor, and Upstairs Neighbor didn't know what to do with so many peppers.

004.JPG

Plus I HAD to can these because a certain cat who shall remain nameless somehow managed to keep finding my peppers, pulling them out of the box I had them in, and play with them all over the house.

100_1229.JPG
Mother smugger!

I got one jar of nacho rings (sliced jalapenos), one of mixed sliced peppers (red and green habaneros and jalapenos), and one jar of whole habaneros.

012.JPG

Then I moved on to apple butter.

I took my gross frozen apple cores and peels...

007.JPG

Added a bit of apple cider...

009.JPG

Strained out the stems, seeds and skins...

010.JPG

And then popped it in the crockpot for six hours because I was too tired to sit there and stir it on the stovetop for hours.

014.JPG

Of course I didn't get pictures of just the final apple butter in neat jars.

But I did get a couple of shots of my summer/fall spoils.

015.JPG
All on the counter.

016.JPG
Shoved into the cupboard.

Whew! It was a lot of work--even stretched out over four months, but it's worth it when you open a jar of pickles or applesauce in January!

Stay tuned--tomorrow is Rhinebeck! Oooaaahhhhh! I'm so excited!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Wow, I'll say it again that you sure have a lot of energy for a pregnant lady with two kids! : ) The peppers look tasty!

Too cute about the cat! Cats like to play with the funniest things. My cat goes crazy for little plastic toy bowling pins. I have no idea why. She loves chewing on them, and attacking them. The other day she attacked an uncooked spaghetti noodle that had fallen on the floor, and then ate it.

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Those look really good! I hope you are sending you know who some for X-mas!

Have fun today!

Love, Mom

7:59 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Canning is A LOT of work. But so worth it

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

"Why do we can, Mommy?"

"Because the zombies are coming, dear!"

Looks tasty. :)

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I am hooked on canning. I'm planning on a lot more of it next year!

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

You have some serious canning skills!

And yo, Laura said something about a pregnant lady....did I miss a post?????? Am I blanking out again??

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home