Thursday, December 15, 2011

Best Laid Plans

Today is my day off.

I brought my car to the mechanic for a long overdue oil change this morning at 8:00 a.m.

It's 2:00 p.m. and then just informed me my transmission is leaking--PEACHY!

So there go my plans for the day.

Moochie is supposed to wear a pair of black pants to his little holiday program tomorrow. I guess he'll be wearing jeans instead. Ah well.

Just like my plans for today, my latest FO has seen similar results: Not what I anticipated, but not horrific.

See, I'm a sucker for uniquely constructed knitted things* (and bandwagon hats it would seem).

And sometimes (ok, most of the time) those things don't really look good on me.

Behold--Escargot.

007

The details:

Pattern: The aforementioned Escargot from the latest edition of Knitty.

Yarn: Green is a merino handspun of my own. I lost the tag on exactly who dyed the roving. The white is just some LB Jiffy I believe.

Needles: US6

Overall? It's a great pattern to knit and I really enjoyed it. I had to print myself out a tutorial on wrapping and turning (it's been a while) but aside from that, very easy. After you finish the snail swirl, the rest of the hat goes really fast.

What do I not like about the hat?

Well, I look like a doofus in it.

001

I wear my hair back. And this is not a good hair back/hair up hat.

You really have to have a cute short little 'do or wear your hair down.

006
God, I look tired.

See? Not as bad when the hair is down.

However, I hate wearing my hair down.

I suppose I could keep it short, but here's what I hate more than wearing my hair down: The upkeep of keeping it short.

Now as it rounds 3:00 p.m. and I still have no car, and my day of running errands and getting Christmas and birthday shopping DONE are dashed, I do believe this hat will wing it's way to a certain Mom in AK.

She's got a short haircut and at least I think she likes getting my knitted stuff. (If she doesn't, that's the beauty of living so far apart--I don't know and she doesn't have to wear it if she doesn't want to!).



*Except for socks. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to socks. Top down, heel flap, the end.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger knottygnome said...

your green handspun looks really pretty. i'm sure your mom will love it!

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So when do I get it? Is it coming yet? I WANT MY HAT!!!!!

Do I sound like a bratty kid?

I think the hat is cute! And...Yes I will wear it! I am wearing the one that you gave me for X-mas last year. I trade off with the headband from a couple of years ago.

Love, Mom

6:42 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

The hat is really cute and I feel you about hats. I love hats but they don't love me. I look like a doof in most hats. Sorry about your car. Mine needs to go in too and I'm stalling.

6:59 PM  
Blogger JRS said...

I saw the first photo before I read through the post, and I thought, Ah, Bezzie's knit a CSU Rams hat.

Of course, it doesn't look that way on your head, but laid flat on its side--I thought it was for Dr Mad Scientist to wear on football Saturdays.

I don't think you look like a doofus in it. The green handspun is gorgeous, btw.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Ha, ha, you sound too much like me with the hair! I don't look good with short hair, so I've always had it shoulder length or longer. But my hair is thick and somewhat wavy, so I hate wearing it down, because it's too heavy. I almost always have it pulled back. If I had perfectly straight and smooth hair, I'd probably wear it down.

My daughter is the same way. She has hugely thick, super curly hair, and she refuses to wear it down, since she think it's too puffy. She hasn't worn it down regularly since she was a toddler.

I love knitting and crocheting hats, but I don't wear them either, since I don't wear my hair down. The hat is cute, though! And sorry to hear about the car. Isn't that how it is - something always goes wrong at the worst possible time!

8:56 PM  
Blogger whichendisup said...

Hats really are fickle things, and quite flirty too. I am always attracted to those hats that will always disappoint me! I guess the above could be said about cars too, good luck with that. We are playing revolving cars right now too.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Sounds like your Mom is waiting for it! ;)

1:52 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

I think that hat needs to be bigger on you. Look at the pattern page - the ladies are all wearing the front right down to their eyebrows. I have this problem with hats too - big head ;0)
It is a pretty hat - hope you'll knit it again for you.

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I think it's cute!

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home