Thursday, December 01, 2011

December!

I love December.

There, I said it.

You've got Christmas.

100_9930.jpg

We've got Moochie's birthday.

We've got our wedding anniversary.

You've got New Year's Eve.

I freakin' love it.

One of the first things I do to get into the holiday spirit is as soon as the turkey carcass is processed for optimal meat harvest, is fire up the Christmas music!

Right now, this is my top ten list of Christmas songs in no particular order--although it's very hard to pick just ten!

1. Jingle Bells as sung by Barbra Streisand.
Babs turns a traditional holiday song into an infectious cheesy dance number. Plus the fact that she did a Christmas album just cracks me up.

2. Swiss Colony Beef Log, Eric Cartman.
I don't watch South Park as much as I used to, but who can resist this festive ode to cured meat products? I also identify with this song because, I too "fucking hate egg nog, seriously."

3. Santa Claus is Back in Town, Elvis Presley
The opening of this song always make me think it would be a great song to strip to. Too bad we don't live across from the Boobie Bar anymore.

100_8522

4. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Aimee Mann
Have yourself an emo little Christmas! I'll fess up; I was first introduced to Aimee Mann via Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I dig this rendition of Merry Little Christmas.

5. Dominick the Donkey, Lou Monte
I don't think I'd love this one so much if I wasn't living in New Jersey. Ha ha! It doesn't help that Chunky goes to school with quite a few boys named Dominick. And in googling this song--I learned Lou Monte is buried just a few miles from where we live. Hee hee! Or should I say--hee haw! hee haw!?

100_9946
6. Christmas for Cowboys, John Denver
Actually this is one of three John Denver solo songs that I've got in rotation on my Christmas playlist (the other two being "Aspenglow" and "Please Daddy Don't Get Drunk This Christmas"). I blame my mother for this one. She's the John Denver fan, and it's just not Christmas without country-pop far out carols.

7. White Christmas, Bing Crosby
A classic--but it deals with snow. And it's Bing! Ok, so he was a horrible SOB father to his kids...but, it's Bing!

8. Felice Navidad, Jose Feliciano
This song never fails to give me the urge to go ice skating with Big Bird.

9. Holiday (What Do You Want), Mike Doughty and Rosanna Cash
Another song about snow! And it fulfills my closet-indie rock love.

10. Twelve Days of Christmas, John Denver and the Muppets
John Denver and the Muppets. Seriously. Enough said. Although if you do buy this album, make sure you get the WHOLE album. Not the 10-song one.

100_9994

So what's your favorite holiday song??

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Ellie said...

Back at the blogs and you hit on two of my favourite songs! Eric Cartman's Swiss Colony Beef Log kills me every time, and Jose Feliciano's Feliz Navidad is the one song I wait for - the first time I hear it is when Christmas really starts for me :)

8:50 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Drat, now you got Feliz Navidad stuck in my head. I can't even listen to it - because I own it on 45. yup.

My fave Christmas albums are by Jewel, Third Day and believe it or not, HANSON.

Are we going to get a photo of the cooking Bez 3.0?

9:13 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Aspenglow and Christmas for Cowboys are 2 of my very favorite songs. I've been listening to Rocky Mountain Christmas since I was a wee one (Dad is also a huge John Denver fan). You're the only person outside my family who has even heard of those songs.

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! Man! I like ALL my Christmas misic!! To pick one is not possible!!! Not even able to pick a favorite album!!!

You know your Grandfather Riley is smiling down at you!!!

Love, Mom

12:34 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

My in-laws have that muppets christmas music!!!
My favourite Christmas song is "Merry Christmas Everybody" by Slade. There are youtube videos of it (of course) if you want to enjoy some awesome 70's hair. And the singer's name is Noddy! doesn't get much better than that for me :0)

5:20 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

what? no mariah carey and bieber on your list? seriously though--before the biebs ruined the song i secretly found it very catchy even though that fact kind of makes me hate myself. don't tell anyone, m'kay?

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of my favorites are:
Judy Garland "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"(little lady, big voice)
Bob & Doug McKenzie "Twelve Days of Christmas"
The Chipmunks "The Christmas Song"(I think that is the name of it. My brother had it on a Chipmunks'album from back in the 1960s.)
Elvis "Blue Christmas"
Brenda Lee "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree"
Love, Aunt Susan

8:47 AM  
Blogger whichendisup said...

Like you,I am a big fan of Christmas music. The day after Thanksgiving I shunned the Sirius radio for 106.7 Lite FM, which drops their usual fare and goes completely Christmas until the big day. I would have to do a list as well cause there are just too many to pick from. Feliz Navidad, Bing's White Christmas, Jingle Bell Rock by Brenda Lee, Nat King Cole's The Christmas Song, Drummer Boy by Bing and Bowie... gah, could go on and on with this!

11:13 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I think I must be a weirdo, because I don't have any favorite Christmas songs, ha, ha! It's probably because I hate winter, despite having Christmas, my December 26th birthday, and my kids' January birthdays. I've always thought Christmas would be perfect if it fell during the summer.

And how funny that Chunky goes to school with a lot of boys named Dominick. Maybe it's all those Jersey Italians! My son is Dominic (minus the k), and I'm pretty sure he's the only boy with that name in his school.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Just one favorite? Impossible...mostly because somewhere in my "box" of media storage devices is an external hard drive with traditional and original xmas music sung by not so traditional, but original, peeps.

#1 is a tie:
"Xmas by Myself this Year" by the Waitresses, because it played in the background of my kid christmas vacations.

"Santa Claus and His Old Lady" by Cheech & Chong...because I grew up in East LA...

But ones I recommend and often gift to people include Sting's "Gabriel's Message" and Soundgarden's "Ave Maria." Religious, but um, yeah, tis the season :).

12:05 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I knew there was a reason I loved you! Muppets Christmas album is my FAVORITE. It's not Christmas if I don't hear Miss Piggy sing Fiiiiiiivvvveeee Golden Rings, bah dum dum. AND Dominic the Donkey. AND Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer. Hahahah, I seem to only like the hokey songs!!

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home