Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Frosty The Snowman

The past three years, our office has participated in this thing called Frostie's Friends (I intentionally misspelled that).

It's basically a "Toys for Tots" deal but on a local level and specifically for kids in NJ that are "in need [and] who will be spending the holidays away from the comfort of a home."

The kids write a letter to "Mr. Frosty" like they would Santa, telling him (although I don't know why Frosty is a dude...just because he's made of balls doesn't mean he's gotta be a male, right?) how they've been this year and what they want for the holiday.

The first year we couldn't really afford to do this, but I saw how much fun everyone else had with it.

Last year I did it for one little boy and Chunky and I had a good time picking out a present for him. Don't ask me what it was, but it was fun.

Anyway, this year I picked out two boys--a four year old and a ten year old.

What can I say? I don't like to leave my comfort zone!

001

Plus I liked these two boys because they were down to earth.

Most kids were asking for stuff I hadn't ever heard of, or really expensive stuff that, as an Evil Mom, I don't buy for my own children.

Not that I can criticize these kids for asking for the moon.

I have fond memories of taking turns with my siblings and writing out our letters to Santa based solely on the Sears Wishbook (seriously--check that site out! I got a kick out of the 1986 edition.).

Asking for the gold plated Barbie Power Wheels is what Christmas is all about!

Well...when you're a kid!

Now this post isn't meant to be a boast of "Look how charitable we are!" it's meant as a lead in to my post tomorrow...stay tuned!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to be a little boy so that I can play with that COOL dump truck!!

Love, Mom

11:20 PM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

On the edge of my seat........

7:27 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

aww man. i used to love thumbing through that wishbook as a kid. so many toys all jumbled into that catalog.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Oh, the Sears wish list catalog! Boy, does that bring back a lot of childhood memories!

I used to love the regular big Sears catalog too. My youngest sister and I bought quite a few of our clothes as teenagers (after we got our first real jobs) from that catalog. I still remember buying this short, cotton, blue and white gingham skirt, with a matching blue t-shirt, from the Sears catalog that I thought was the cutest outfit ever, ha, ha!

Looking forward to seeing what you bought for the charity drive!

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home