Friday, December 02, 2011

Nostalgia

I was talking to a guy at work who didn't know I was pregnant and somehow we got on the subject of our kids moving away.

He laughed when I said, "And in 8 years when Chunky is outta here..." because he's got two boys himself. One who has never left and the other who will be graduating from college this spring and moving back in.

Sorry boys (and girl!), I don't care what the economy is like, but if your dad and I can make it on a shittacular university "stipend," and an entry level secretaries salary while paying daycare that costs more than our rent--you can figure out how to support yourself!

It's one of the tenets of Evil Mom Society--pushing your baby bird(s) the hell outta the nest!

Anyway, the first few years I was out of the house living in the real world (i.e. post-college; college is a "real world-lite"). I realized I reallllly missed my Mom's orange Betty Crocker cookbook.

So I went onto Amazon and ordered it used for not quite as pretty a penny as that link states.

And then it seems that my nostalgia spread to Christmas decorations.

Two years ago I felt the need to add this Santa lamp to my decorations:

100_9971
Moochie has since claimed this tree as his own!

It's a 1968 Empire Blow Mold Santa. Pretty standard. Nothing rare or expensive about it. But it totally reminds me of Christmas!

Yesterday, nostalgia reared her ugly head again--

santa

The 1978 inflatable Santa (still in his package!) for $8 on Etsy.

We used to hang this Santa from the light fixture in the kitchen. I know we'd have contests to see how high we could jump to smack Santa around.

I also remember having the honor of getting to blow Santa (up) every year--ha ha!

I've already picked out a light fixture for this Santa when he arrives!

Do you have a favorite childhood holiday decoration?

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I am SO with you on the kids moving out! The NY Times had an article a couple of weeks ago about young people moving back home after college, and they featured this 26 year old guy, who is a teacher and a football coach, making $4,500 a month (after taxes!), but who lives with his mom because he doesn't want to pay rent - he wants to save up enough money to buy a house with cash. Ha!

My husband and I were just barely bringing home that much a month when both of us were working, and now that I'm laid off, we're living off far less than that, with two kids, rent, etc., to boot. We could only be so lucky for one of us to have a job earning as much as the guy in the article.

Anyway, the Christmas decorations are cute! I honestly can't say that I can recall any particular Christmas decoration from when I was a kid - guess my memory is going in my old age, ha, ha!

11:51 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Haha I remember both Santa's!! We did have the little one once upon a time. My grandmother had the big Santa along with 2 Nutcracker men to go by the front door. I don't know about you, but the 1 summer I spent at home in the middle of college about killed me. Once I was out, I did whatever I could not to go back. Hoping mine does the same.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Oh Bezzie, you're such a good mom - wanting them outta there is just encouraging their independence (if only there was a bit more of that in the world!) }:0)
No childhood favourites for me - perhaps that's something to do with my own evil mom......

4:20 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Could not agree with you more on the kids moving out. I also believe it comes to a point of enabling behavior which has contributed to the new generation that feels completely entitled to everything. As someone who's watched it happen in her own family, I'm so not doing that with my kids.

As for decorations, anyone remember these: http://compare.ebay.com/like/250884617784?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

yes, kids can make their own way, the longer the wait to do that, the less able they are to do that! I got to hang on past my 18th birthday since I was still in high school but I got about 2 weeks after graduation to scoot my butt on outta there! My 18 yr old is already outta here although he does come visit from college.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The 'Rents' home.....A nice place to visit but don't want to live there!!

You six have made me and your father very proud how well you have taken care of yourselves and your families!!!!

As for Christmas decorations your Grandma use to have a rubber santa that she would put under the tree that is why I got the plastic lightup santa. The blowup santa I think Grandma gave us!

Love, Mom

11:44 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I had that blow up Santa...but it used to scare me the way it loomed over everything as he usually ended up behind the microscopic Nativity we'd set up on the tee vee. (You know, one of those wooden cabinet monster tv's.)

Nothing could keep me home once I set off for college, even my mom's cooking. I was not an easy teenager to raise, and my family not an easy family to stand. If I'd stayed I'm not sure East LA wouldn't just be a blasted hole in the ground a la Buffy. My brothers...like we grew up in different households...

12:22 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I have that cookbook too! A few pages are missing though (the chocolate cookie page and the baking powder biscuit page :-(!!!!!!).

These ornaments are what we had on our tree growing up - http://www.etsy.com/listing/83883441/vintage-wooden-christmas-ornaments-and --- That's christmas to me :-)

5:03 PM  
Blogger janna said...

I love my parents, but you could not have paid me to live at home! I think every kid needs to move out, even if it's just to a college dorm. In fact, a college dorm is a great first start -- you're kind of on your own, but people around you will (usually) make sure you eat, get to class, etc.

And the other day, a college administrator here commented that we have moved from "helicopter parents" to "velcro parents".....

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home