Friday, December 09, 2011

Thought Interrupted

Sorry about that. I promised a post yesterday and well, work got in the way.

Good times.

Anyway....where I was going with the last post.

Did you note the way I said for the past three years my office has done "Frostie's Friends" and I've participated in now for the second time?

That's because the first year, times were lean. Dr. Mad Scientist had quit his job to go back to school and Moochie was just a wee little Mooch.

But the years we've been able to breathe a little easier--it's been fun to go shopping for little boys other than my own (I still can't bring myself to pick girls out of the pile of letters--I don't know girl stuff! Yet...).

Bottom line of the "breathe easier" Christmases? We don't really NEED anything.

But the Vector Neighbors have different ideas.

Sigh.

I've tried to politely rebuff their bout of gift diarrhea they will inevitably bestow upon Chunky and Moochie.

One would think one small gift would be ample. No, no, not with Vector Neighbors.

Last year they gave the boys more presents than Santa did.

And they managed to derail one large present Santa bought for Moochie by buying him the same thing--a little ride-on bike.

The both of them just irk me. Last year Male Vector Neighbor gave me shit (did I blog about this?) for buying Moochie a set of play pots and pans and toy food. Apparently those are "girl" toys.

Really? Encouraging a boy to cook is feminine? Try Best Husband Ever training!

So because of this, I feel like they're trying to somehow "correct" what Dr. Mad Scientist and I ( and Santa!) give the boys for Christmas.

This year Female Vector Neighbor has been trying to pump me for gift ideas for the boys.

I've been mum.

She was nice enough to run one idea by me before she wasted her money; she wanted to buy Chunky a cell phone.

HUH?

I kiboshed that one really quick. I mean WTH is he going to call???

And Grandma B. will love this. The new quilt she made Moochie for his big boy bed?

001
Have you had enough of the Brothers Bez hamming it up in pictures? What a pair of schmoes!

Even though I've told Vector Neighbor he DOESN'T NEED IT, she wants to buy him a Spongebob bed-set.

SIGH.

I mean I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but it's smothering, and it's disgusting.

I'm already researching charities to give away any unneeded "stuff" they insist on dumping upon our boys. There are kids out there getting squat or squatting themselves who could use it more than our boys.

One bright spot of the annoyance that is our neighbors.

Happy flippin' Christmas.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Ellie said...

ok, so I couldn't let that one pass... Who the spork buys a 'big ticket' gift for a kid who a) isn't related to them and b) without checking with the parents first?! Are they trying to assuage their guilt with mounds of presents? Donate to charity or sell on craigslist, and feel guilty no more.

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go with the giving to charity. They will find or know boys that NEED the items!

I NEVER get tired of seeing pictures of those TWO!!!! I love the way Moochie copies Chunky!!

Love, Mom

11:59 PM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Ooh, that is all kinds of embarrassing. And eeew. And also, the same "icky" neighbours? Add gross to the list too.

3:07 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I think letting the boys donate all that stuff to charity is a great idea. The stuff still gets used, and instead of a bunch of junk that they don't need, your boys get the satisfaction that comes with donating!

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

That's overwhelming. I think passing it on is the way to go. Also, what a great lesson for the boys to learn, there is always someone who needs things that are our extra stuff.

8:11 AM  
Blogger joymama said...

I'd be one to give the neighbors the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps they really love your kiddos, they are awfully cute.

We had this issue with our wee one, who is now 18 with neighbors and grandparents and friends.

We live simply because we prefer to travel the world as a family instead of invest in things and stuff.

We always let folks we didn't need/want anything but they did anyway. We were always gracious with thanks.

We regifted to families we knew could use items and toys our child didn't and who would really appreciate them for the gifts they are. We never let them think we spent money on the gifts. We were honest with where they came from.

We gave to Bosnian refugee families, kids with young parents who work minimum wage jobs, familiy members, etc...

Food gifts were regifted as well. We're a vegetarian family and I have a soy allergy so the smoked turkeys and hams from work, cheese baskets and such from family and friends were also regifted. We always kept the fruit baskets.

I too agree that the dishes and play food are fabulous toys.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That does seem odd that the neighbors are giving the boys that many gifts, especially such expensive items. Maybe they're just lonely, and that's their way of being friendly? Still, I can see why you're uncomfortable with the whole thing.

I agree with the other posters who said to donate the stuff to charity, or to one of those "angel tree" things, like you're doing at work.

I am with you on the cell phone. My son is almost 9, and he's not getting a cell phone anytime soon. My daughter first got one a couple of years ago, when she was 12, but only because she was staying home by herself after school while my husband and I were at work. I would not have gotten her one otherwise.

1:11 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

How about you just straight up tell your neighbors to stop harassing your family?

A little too much affection is creepy and harmful.

I'd be blunt & not even accept the gifts. Start snubbing them--say nothing more than "hi" & don't even make eye contact when saying it.

Seem harsh? Yeah, it is. But there are plenty of harmful jerks who hide behind "affection" & "generosity."

8:31 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I love the way your kids ham up the pictures! My niece & nephew do the same.

I've been in the PNW too long, my first thought was, if they insist on getting them stuff, remind them to include "gift receipts." Then at least you could exchange it for something useful/that the boys wanted/you would prefer to give away...Yeah, the passive aggressive way of saying I most likely won't want your gift, thanks!

10:54 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

wow, buying unwanted gifts for other people's kids just seems way over the line. maybe you should let them see you taking their presents to goodwill. that would probably stop them.

7:07 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

hey, i shared a blog award with you because i didn't know who else to give it to and you're pretty cool.

http://knottygnome.blogspot.com/2011/12/i-always-knew-my-versatility-would-get.html

9:34 AM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

Maybe you should get Gordon Ramsay to beat the S%^$ out of upstairs neighbor, see what he thinks after that.

9:53 AM  
Blogger janna said...

I really think they are just crazy about your boys and want to show them. I think donating those gifts to someone who needs them is a great idea, but have you suggested to the neighbors that THEY might give the gifts to charity? I wouldn't tell them they couldn't give the boys anything but maybe you could convince them that one small gift is all your boys need.

And really -- there are way worse problems to have than neighbors who love your kids....

10:32 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Love the Bez Brothers photo!

Your neighbors sound more than a little odd. Do you suppose they expect an invitation to watch the Brothers Bez unwrap their gifts?

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home