Friday, December 23, 2011

We May Not Have Snow

And we may not have a chance of snow until, well who knows.

I mean mid 40s and low 50s in December? What a crock!

But we do have holiday baking!

Well sort of. These are a no-bake Christmas tradition.

007.JPG

Date balls! Every time I see this recipe on the internets, the person posting it says it came from their grandma.

Guess where my recipe came from?

008.JPG

Wonder what that's all about?

And then we have the gift cookies/sweet stuff:

002.JPG

Back row in the jars (from left to right): Reindeer Feed and Muddy Buddies.

In the kraft cardboard boxes and the little white boxes are just your run of the mill chocolate crinkles.

I was looking for a simple, polished look for gifting my cookies this year, and I found some reasonably priced boxes and that designers baking twine here. The price wasn't outrageous and they're based out of NY--so I knew the shipping wouldn't take forever.

As for the crinkles in the little white "baskets" those are just paper plates (don't ask, we don't buy them, we are "gifted" them) that you cut and shape. Link to the tutorial (and other great cookie packaging ideas) can be found here.

I used double stick tape and scrapbook paper to decorate them--but trust me, the washi tape looks really tempting!

What's on your baking/baked goods consumption agenda this year?

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a thing except an apple pie and cheese cake! The girls at work already baked up a storm of calories!

Love, Mom

PS: It's Christmas Eve!!! We have to find out!!!!!!!

11:38 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Everything looks tasty! I'm going to attempt to make a double chocolate cheesecake this year. I'm generally terrible at baking, but this seems too easy to mess up.

Our winter weather has been super mild here in the Cleveland area too, and am LOVING it!!! I normally get totally depressed every winter, but the fairly high temps and lack of snow has kept me in a pretty good mood. If it were to never snow another flake here all winter, I'd be beyond thrilled!

1:36 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

I'll trade you your mid 40s... we split the drive to my parents over two days, and woke up to 3 degrees F. brrrr.
But, I did bake 27 dozen cookies before leaving, mainly cornstarch shortbreads and raspberry thumbprint cookies. At mom's we're doing our traditional tree-shaped chocolate cake, and whatever else we can pull out in the next couple of hours. (she's already done about a dozen different kinds of cookies and squares, though)...

Merry Christmas! Hope it's a good one :)

12:24 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I am making pre-made sugar cookies. I tried to make my own one year and it was a a disaster. Then I am making the apple crisp for tomorrow. That is IT

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm trying to keep up the holiday tradition of candy making & cookie baking that my Mom would do. I make all of my family favorites-cookies: Monster cookies, Cut-out cookies, Peanut Butter Kisses, Thumbprint, 7 Layer Bars; candy: Peanut Brittle, Noodle Ting-a-Lings(Haystacks to some), Peanut Butter Balls(Buckeyes to some), White Chocolate Bark Candy....sugar over load! Love, Aunt Susan

4:21 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Very nice packaging!

It's cold here, but only a few flakes. Not enough to stick.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Looks good and the packaging is so pretty. I learned to make a super simple and fast almond biscotti drizzled with chocolate. It's a hit and very little effort, so all my peeps got a bunch of that this year. Now that xmas is over, i might do some cookie baking for ourselves.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I didn't finish up the baking until the 24th but that was planned. I love the Christmas cookies and they love me right back (they stick around on me for a long time!)

9:44 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Muddy Buddies/Puppy Chow is one of my very most favorite homemade sweet treats. Love it! I'm glad they're kind of a pain to make or I'd really be in trouble ;-)

I didn't do any baking. I do need to whip up a batch of chocolate chip cookies to send to my best friend with his Les Mis DVD. Maybe this weekend. We shall see.

(Yes, I'm super behind on my blog reading. I'm cleaning out to start 2012 "fresh" so I can actually keep up this year!)

10:54 AM  
OpenID bufanditas said...

everything looks delicious and I love the packaging. Thanks for sharing the links. They are great resources.

9:45 PM  
OpenID bufanditas said...

Everything looks delicious and I love the packaging. Thanks for sharing the links. They are great resources.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home