Tuesday, January 03, 2012

New Year

The first post of 2012.

I don't really do new year's resolutions. My motto every year is to just "roll with" whatever BS the year throws at us. Which is what I'll be doing again this year.

What a year it will be!

With Baby Bez 3.0 upon us, I know one thing that will be tight come September--money.

Two kids under 5 years old in daycare while I work? Oh that will be $2400 a month. Gotta love New Jersey.

Yes, I realize I could give it up and become a stay at home mom, but it's my decision to work. I saw too many SAHMs have their worlds fall apart when I worked in family law. I can't take that risk, slim as it might be that Dr. Mad Scientist will divorce me or get hit by a bus.

Honestly though, if you have ever driven/walked in New Jersey, that bus-hitting scenario isn't too far-fetched!

But it's OK. It's:

a) temporary -- in three years, Mooch will be in kindergarten or, in the more pleasant alternative, we'll be out of New Jersey--maybe in the land of Grandpa's Dog and Babysitting Service!

and

b) we've done it before -- I had a take home pay of approximately the same after daycare when Chunky was first born. We can adapt.

I'm already squirreling away money for our "fun" yearly stuff that we do that is complete luxury and non-necessity--our summer trip to the shore (or the "beach" if you don't live in New Jersey); our annual apple picking outing in the fall; another year in the township's football program for Chunky; and our Christmas tree cutting outing.

I'm also crossing my fingers that our tax return will be enough to pay off Dr. Mad Scientist's damned student loan (for his BACHELOR'S degree of all things--he didn't pay a dime for his PhD, if you don't count how much of his soul he sold) and we'll be debt free.

So we'll see. We'll just ramble on thru 2012 doing our best to keep up.

Don't worry, there will be plenty of cookies too.

100_1495.JPG

Did you see those cinnamon M&Ms they had on sale at Christmas?

I don't think they were very popular. And while the one I ate was OK, it was nothing I could consume in excess.

I think many people were thinking like me because they had OODLES of bags of them at Target on sale for 50% off this weekend.

Pair them up with your favorite oatmeal cookie recipe?

Delicious!!!

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger janna said...

Hmmm.... maybe I'll stop by Target tomorrow, because I think cinnamon M&Ms would be good in several recipes.

And my mom has always said that she HAD to work. It had nothing to do with how much she loved us -- she just had to have grown-ups (or, in her case, other people's high-school age kids) around, too. So I totally get why staying at home isn't an option, even if it seems to some to be the obvious choice...

8:10 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I didn't try the cinnamon ones, but I did try the cherry cordial ones. Meh. Daycare kills me - I know the cost of it will go down as Piper gets older, but my monthly daycare costs are more than my mortgage payment right now.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I completely understand why you want to work. I made that choice too. But damn, $2400? I'm looking at half that if I have another baby and even that's enough to make me choke!

9:43 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

$2,400 a month for daycare for two kids?! Yikes! And I thought child care was expensive here in the Cleveland area!

My kids are exactly 5 years apart in age (both have January birthdays), so I guess it worked out good financially in that my daughter started kindergarten the fall after my son was born. She's always been in Catholic school though, since we live in a poorer suburb with sucky public schools, so although we didn't have daycare expenses for her at that point, we've had tuition, and after school care, and then summer camp, in addition to paying for full time day care for my son.

The last year we had both kids in some kind of daycare at the same time, was the summer of 2010, when my daughter was 12, and my son 7, and they were both in day camp all summer, for $1,100 a month - half of my take home pay at the time. It was incredibly difficult and stressful financially. I was laid off (still laid off) this past summer, so at least summer camp expenses weren't an issue.

People who have grandparents or other relatives nearby who can watch their kids for free, or nearly free don't know how good they have it.

Now my daughter will be starting high school in the fall (!) and I'm stressing out about how we're going to pay for that. A year of tuition at my college alma mater (Cleveland State) actually costs less than a year of average Catholic high school tuition. I still can't get over that.

Here's hoping 2012 has some good financial surprises in store for you and Dr. M.S.

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! I taught you well! No,library tech part time for you!

And with that all said....I am very proud of you and know that things will turn out just fine!!

Bez 3.0 will be the Apple of you and Dr.MS's eyes!! With Chunky and Moochie spoiling her ROTTEN!!!

Happy New Year to everyone and may it bring us ALL what we need!

Love, Mom

11:37 PM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

You are an awesome planner. Things will go well. Another reason to stay at work is how hard it is to get a job after years of "not working"!
Those cookies look yummy :0)

6:50 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I stayed home for 6 years after my first child was born. The youngest was younger than 2 when I had to go back to work. I was lucky to find a friend to watch her during the day while the other two were in school. It cost me 600/month and that was 20 years ago. I kept reminding myself that she was precious and worth every penny but wow. The 2400 you're going to pay is more than my take home pay for the month. Maybe I should change careers.....

7:07 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

ooh, those cookies sound delicious.

you always seem to roll with the punches. i have a feeling that the zombie apocalypse could strike and you'd still be ok. :-)

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to work...still have to....got bills to pay. You do what you have to do. I was so lucky I had my folks for child care when we needed it. I felt it was a win/win for us & them-cheap child care for us/quality time for them with the grandkids. I'm sure Grandpa Dog Sitter (Grandma too!!) will be there when you need him when you move.

This is going to be an awesome year for you guys....I feel it. Maybe you will get a visit from your cousin the Dr. & his soon-to-be wife(soon-to-be Dr. also) when they visit out East this year.

Love, Aunt Susan

8:53 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

You are going to have an awesome 2012. No question. My mom worked when my brother and I were growing up, and I can't imagine any other way. :)

10:47 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Yup, you'll figure it out, you've done it before. With one less, admittedly, but still.

And I missed the cinnamon M&Ms. Darn. Can I have a cookie instead?

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

"Just Roll with the BS." I think I need that on a tote bag because so far this year sucks. Sigh.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

oh cinnamon m and m's.....in cookies....best.idea.ever. too bad they don't have them here ~pout~

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home