Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Potholder Family Portraits

Along with the fortune cookies, pretzel challah bread FAIL, chocolate chip cookies, and the housecleaning this weekend, I finally came up with something to do with these piece of fabric that have been hanging out in my stash.

You see, every year my Grandma comes out from the midwest to visit my Aunt Jaywalker in Massachusetts.

Since we've been living out here in Nueva Jersey, we try to meet up for a day at a place that's half way between us and where Aunt Jaywalker livings in MA.

We did miss hooking up in 2010.

Grandma always comes at the end of July/early August.

August is usually when Spoonflower has their Free Swatch Day.

Because the trip to see Grandma and Aunt Jaywalker is always fresh in my mind--I always seem to make my little free swatches using a photo from our recent meet-up.

But then it came down to--what the hell do I do with all of these swatches???

So this weekend I set to it and made some decorative "potholders" out of our family meet ups.

001

And here they hang in our hallway!

The black and white of the boys (look how little they were!) is from 2009 when we met up at Gillette Castle State Park in Connecticut.

The other one is from this past year when we met up at Howe Caverns in New York. I feel kind of bad--I framed Grandma's face all funky when I ordered the swatch--so she kind of got a head-shave there!

The reason for this is because I almost missed the Spoonflower Free Swatch Day this year and I only had a few hours to upload my photo onto my fabric swatch. The site was pretty slow if I remember rightly--all that cheapass traffic!

Maybe someday I'll hang them from some kind of dowel to utilize the tab tops I sewed in there.

But for now I dig them as they are!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

They are really cool!

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a dowl!! A decorative curtain rod!!

Those are really cute!

Love, Mom

PS: I think Grandma will forgive you!

11:04 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That's a cute and clever idea! I like your mom's idea about the decorative curtain rod, too.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

What a nifty idea :)

10:32 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Love those!!

10:00 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

That's a really cool idea! It's crafty and memories all in one.

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home