Monday, January 16, 2012

Sugar Does Not Have a Daily Value

If you have friended me on Facebook, you'll be familiar with this rant.

For some weird reason upstairs neighbor lady (i.e. "Vector Neighbors") has felt the need to pawn a crazy amount of groceries on us the past week.

She's always done this--a carton of ice cream in the summer here, half a watermelon there. Kinda weird, but only one thing every once in a while.

Until last week.

Last week--over a course of two or three days she gave us:

2 boxes of Trix cereal
1 box of Coco Puffs cereal
1 box of Golden Grahams cereal
1 box Honey Nut Cheerio cereal
1 gallon of milk
2 boxes of those Koolaid drinks in the pouches (20 pouches total)
3 lbs of animal crackers
12 cups of pudding
1 box Little Debbie Valentine brownies
2 cans of Chef Boyardee Spaghetti and Meatballs

Ahhhh....okaaaaay.

Now, granted I'm still nursing a wicked resentment of the infestation they bestowed upon us this past spring and summer, so I'm sure that's tainting my view--but seriously?

What is she trying to say?

I've narrowed it down to three things:

1. I'm crazy;
2. I'm diabetic and I can't have all this sugar laden shit, so I will give it to your kids so they can enjoy a downward spiral into diabetes;
3. Bezzie, I don't think you know how to feed your kids.

Don't get me wrong--it's not like we eat uber-healthy free-range organic free trade nuts and berries all the time--my boys know their way around processed foodstuffs laden with sugar, chemicals and unpronounceable names; however, when pretty much ALL she gives them is this shit and LOTS of it, it's really really annoying.

And borderline weird because she'll come down later to grill Chunky on how he liked XYZ that she brought him.

I know I sound ungrateful, but, the whole thing is just really really weird to me.

What sucks about this is I hate to throw it away because there are starving kittens in Iraq. But on the other hand--is it really humane to donate this type of food to starving kittens in Iraq?

You always read reports on how low income Iraqi felines are prone to high obesity rates...would this food really do them any good? Is bad food better than no food?

But it's kind of moot because I can't find anywhere local that takes donated food during the off season (i.e. not Thanksgiving/Christmas) or only take donations during tiny windows of time that working people can't make (the closest church food pantry takes donations from 1:22 p.m. to 2:39 p.m. every third Wednesday of the month that falls on a full moon).

And most of these places would prefer cash donations anyway. Which makes sense.

So here's the final disposition of last week's "gifts":

2 boxes of Trix cereal -- Trash
1 box of Coco Puffs cereal -- boys will eat
1 box of Golden Grahams cereal -- keep reading
1 box Honey Nut Cheerio cereal -- boys will eat
1 gallon of milk -- I already had a bunch of milk to use up; Dr. Mad Scientist took this to his Friday night AA meeting. The recovering like to have milk in their coffee.
2 boxes of those Koolaid drinks in the pouches (20 pouches total) -- down the drain
3 lbs of animal crackers -- boys will eat
12 cups of pudding -- boys will eat
1 box Little Debbie Valentine brownies -- Trash
2 cans of Chef Boyardee Spaghetti and Meatballs -- these are languishing in the cupboard (probably until the May postal service food drive!)

I feel bad wasting that food...grrrr...but the boys just won't eat/drink it.

As for that lone box of Golden Grahams--

005.JPG

I paired it up with what you always pair up with graham crackers.

Marshmallows and chocolate.

010.JPG

Smores-y type krispie treats for the lunches this week.

Melt 1/2 cup butter w/2 cups of mini marshmallows, add 4 cups of Golden Grahams, press into a 9"x9" pan, let cool. Spread 1 1/2 cups melted chocolate chips over the top. Cool. Cut into bars.

Moral of the story: When crazy neighbors hand you tons of sugary cereals, make krispie treats.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous marymac said...

THIS is why Extreme Couponing is dangerous.

8:23 PM  
Blogger janna said...

At the beginning, I thought she was just being nice. But now I think she's crazy.... I still think it's odd that you can't find any place to take the food -- the places here take it year 'round.

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok! That is just plain WEIRD!!!

I can see the Food Pantries not taking some of the stuff, but not all!!

Those cookies look good though, and how did you ever think of using them that way?

Love, Mom

12:00 AM  
Blogger ChestyLove said...

I would've chucked far more than you did. I absolutely do not allow those sugary crappy cereals in my house unless I'm using them to bake something for school or summat. And the Kool-Aid packets? Heck to the no, unless I'm dye-ing wool or something.

Hubby put it this way: "I don't mind throwing away bad food." It's a good philosophy to repeat to yourself as you're binning all that processed sugar.

7:39 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

that is really weird. why does she try to force things on you? at this point i'd definitely be "thanks but no thanks."

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I sincerely hope they don't keep that up. Those smokes things sound pretty good!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

That is very odd about the neighbors giving you all that food. Extra vegetables from their garden, I can see, but cereal, milk, and snacks? Very odd.

I agree with Janna - I'm surprised too that none of the food pantries in your area will accept donations year round. We have a hunger center in my suburb, and they have a drop off box for donations at the local public library. We also have the Cleveland Foodbank, which supplies all the local hunger centers/pantries, and takes donations year round.

Try checking with your local United Way if you want to donate the food - they can probably help you find a place that takes donations regularly. My most recent job was with an organization that ran a number of hunger centers here in the Cleveland area, and I can say that most hunger centers can definitely use donations of cereal and canned goods.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Those treats look awesome! What a tricky situation! Maybe send the unwanted food to school with Chunky? Our teachers are always asking for snacks for those that 'forget' to bring one.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Cindy in (un) Happy Valley said...

Were these open packages? If they weren't, I'd feel free to decline anything the kiddos won't eat. And if she really didn't want the stuff, suggest she find a place to donate it. Then it becomes her problem.

The couponing comment brought to mind an uncle of mine who used to buy multiples of everything if he got a "good deal". It was kinda like a hobby. (Predates Hoarders, but it looks like it.) But what does one do with 12 containers of black pepper? Seriously. We counted.

10:36 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Definitely weird. But the s'mores are ingenioius!

8:28 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Want the crispy treat...

10:49 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

They are seriously overbearing. I don't know how you keep your cook with them, but your solution to the Golden grahams is awesome!

5:46 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

The s'mores krispies look yummy!

I'll have to send you a note for some ideas on what to do the next time some well-meaning friend or family member gives us "food" (and I'm being generous here ;) my girls won't (or I won't allow them to) eat.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home