Monday, February 13, 2012

If There's An Entry...

...It must mean that it's Monday!

So what did I do this weekend?

On Saturday I baked some of these.

001

But I baked mine for 10 minutes and didn't frost them. I put them in the freezer and the boys can have a few for breakfast heated up and drizzled with some maple syrup.

Can't be any worse than the plethora of sugar cereals being funneled into my house (or trash can) by Upstairs Neighbor Lady, right?

Speaking of the freezer, in the morning, I went to pull some sausage out for Sunday dinner and noticed that "Hey, this is already thawed!"

Lovely.

Our 1980something refrigerator decided to go belly up.

Nice.

Did I mention I went grocery shopping on Friday?

Landlord was working, so he had his brother come out to look at it. He tried to tell me that I was "choking" the freezer with food.

Um, yeah because full freezers are inefficient freezers. (Insert eye roll here).

So he pulled a few loaves of bread out of my freezer, unplugged it, vacuumed the coils, and then, after convincing me that his wife did the same thing to the freezer and when he did all that, it worked again--plugged it back in.

And it was *GASP!* still dead.

Good grief.

That was about noon.

At 4:30 p.m., which is was approximately 12 eggs, a box of butter, a jar of mayo, a half gallon of milk, and a box of ice cream sandwiches later, they brought the new fridge.

I was instructed though not to put any food near the back vent of the freezer lest I choke it again. If I follow those rules, that means I will basically be able to use 1/3rd of the freezer space.

Do you ever get the feeling like you're the only sane person walking around?

While I was waiting for the Landlord to show up with the new fridge and while my food slowly perished I worked on some things to match this--

007

Oh my god! Real knitting!!!!

Remember The Other Pregnant Girl At Work? She's having a boy, if you remember your Monday posts well.

I wanted to make her something--and my friend Double L had just gifted me a TON of the softest yarn ever.

This is just a simple "Grandma's Washcloth" pattern done in Paton's Bee Mine in various stripes. But oh so soft!!!

And what did I make to match the blanket?

001

Some delightful burp cloths. Actually the pink one and one of the yellow ones are for something else (not me). Stay tuned for that.

I also made Baby Bez 3.0 a couple of receiving blankets:

004

And finally a handful of these mini-burp cloths that I made based on a set of burp cloths that Discoknits gifted me waaay back in the day when Moochie was born.

I like their little travel-size.

It was an uber-productive weekend overall.

I find that I'm not much of a nester really. I have no intentions of cleaning when I reach the ends of pregnancies.

Instead I turn into this hyper Martha Stewart.

I remember with Moochie I went on a huge baking spree.

Only 6 weeks left of this incubation--I wonder what the hyper Martha Stewart nesting urge will create next? Ha ha!

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger janna said...

Right -- don't actually USE the freezer!! My freezer (which came with the townhouse) is even older than yours, I think. The freezer is not frost-free. I figure if the next renter is younger than about 40, it will never be defrosted again....

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy! I wish I could choke on some of those "Goooooey" rolls!!

And I thought I was being productive with finishing a Popcorn popper cover and blouse. :(

Love, Mom

12:02 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

wow, i admire your fortitude on the blanket.

the cinnamon rolls look delicious!

8:03 AM  
Blogger d said...

Doncha just love landlords? Gah. After our little moldscapade last winter, ours tried to argue that our entirely normal amount of furniture had caused the problem and that we needed to keep all the furniture at least 6" away from all the exterior walls. It was one of the more insane things I've heard from him.

Also, I totally need to make cinnamon buns now. :)

9:39 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

In the landlord's defense, we were told the same thing by a repairman. You can overload a freezer and then the cold air doesn't circulate. It takes a LOT to do that though.

The blankets and burp cloths are such a good idea. I used cloth diapers and they make excellent burp cloths.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Cindy in (un) Happy Valley said...

We overloaded our freezer all the time. (husband has an ice cream habit) and only had a problem after ummmmm 20 + years. And in our case it didn't quit, but we kept finding water in the bottom. Some of these people are completely looney. Got a new one, with no warnings about overloading the freezer. In fact I seem to have read somewhere, that they are more efficient when fully loaded.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You sure have a lot of energy for a pregnant woman who already has two other kids. I feel lazy in comparison, LOL! Everything you made is very cute, by the way!

That's crazy about the freezer! I'm sure it just died of old age.

Reminds of me of when I was working at a previous job, and the heat quit working in the middle of winter. It was downright frigid in the building, and the maintenance guy came by, and insisted that nothing was wrong with the boiler, the problem was that too many people were keeping some of the lights off in their offices (supposedly it would be warm if everyone had their lights on). No, it was freezing because the boiler went out! Sheesh.

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Cute cute cute blankets and burp cloths!

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home