Monday, February 06, 2012

My blog has become invariably a litany of rants and weekend wrap ups!

But I'll be honest, the weeknights and boring baby blankets don't make for great mid-week blog posts.

So here you go: here's what I accomplished this weekend.

I did a little sewing and made some cushions for the rocking chair that Auntie Jaywalker gave us this last summer when we met up at Howe Caverns.

001

The rocking chair will eventually land in our bedroom after Baby Bez 3.0 is born.

When Moochie was a pup, I just sat in bed feeding him.

But that's because Squirrel Gables was built in 1920 before the Queen Sized Box Spring so our bed was pretty low to the ground due to the fact we couldn't get our box spring IN the house. (In all fairness we didn't realize they sold split box springs...and even if we had, I wasn't about to replace a 4 month old box spring with a NEW box spring!).

With the Great Yicky Icky Invasion of 2011 our new bed has a box spring again (and hermetically engineered box spring cover) so it's kind of a climb to get back into bed.

However, I'm kind of clumsy with newborn babies--as Dr. Mad Scientist will tell you when he regales the story of how I fell down a small staircase with Chunky in my arms when we were bringing him him home for the first time. (He obviously was OK).

Yeah we could co-sleep, but I can counter Dr. Mad Scientist's story about me falling down the stairs with Chunky with a story about him letting Moochie roll OFF the bed as an infant.

So yeah, awesome revamped rocker it is!

This rocker is pretty comfy as-is, but the thin little fab cushions will add a bit more comfort for those 2 am feedings.

I sort of went overboard ordering the fabric for this project; I forgot how much wider home-dec fabrics are.

There might be some recovered couch pillows in our future.

And would it be tacky if I wanted to make one of these out of the extra fabric as well? I mean whose purse doesn't match their couch???

Finally, what would a weekend without baking be?

A sad weekend indeed.

First up were some super simple and super American classic Magic Cookie Bars.

Magic Cookie Bars

And then, ever since I got pregnant, I can say the one thing I've been craving has been soft pretzels.

Given the time of year it is (we just finished up what was "Birthday Week" at my house growing up--Younger Brother's birthday was Wednesday, Dad's birthday was Friday and Younger Sister T's birthday was Saturday--we always used to have homemade pretzels for Dad's birthday to break up the cake-monotony) and the fact that I attended a farewell send off for my old boss here (thankfully I wasn't the only visibly pregnant person in attendance at the bar!) and the pretzels were abundant--I had to make my own!

Pretzels!

It's been a real effort not to eat them all at once!

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Cute cushions! I didn't have a rocking chair when either of my kids were babies, but always wished that I had.

And that bag looks like it would work well as a diaper bag, too!

9:25 PM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Oof, I can't imagine falling down stairs after I just had a C-Section! I can feel my stitches popping just thinking about it! Take care.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I have that rocking chair and I love sitting in it. It makes a faint squeak when it rocks which is somehow comforting.

I haven't made pretzels for years and now I am craving the chewy doughiness.

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! Some home dec is 54 wide but some is also 44 wide. You have to read the end of the bolt, and if you can't do that you read the description. Nice cushions!

Pretzels! I haven't made those in years!!! This year I made single cup cakes in the nuker!

Love, Mom

8:23 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

mmm, pretzels.

i like the rocking chair!

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Cute fabric! Home made pretzels- that sounds like something I need to stay away from, mmmmm.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Two comments in one, as I'm running behind! It's your blog, rant away. :).

When I saw the "cookie" picture, before reading the text, I was all, "ooh those look familiar and I want!" (I never had them as a kid as most of my work mates did when I made them for the first time last year.) And then I saw the pretzels...I'm not preggos and I am so craving them. Do you salt yours at all? Sometimes I think that's what i'm craving most about them...

9:13 AM  
Blogger janna said...

The pretzels look yummy! And the chair cushions look great. I had that same rocker (darker finish) -- it was the first piece of furniture I even bought, but I lost in in my divorce....

11:03 PM  
Anonymous baby gifts said...

Traditional rocking chairs have a timeless look, and have no moving parts to wear out. Older children or pets playing on the floor by a rocking chair could have arms or legs pinched beneath the rockers, though.

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home