Wednesday, April 18, 2012

April Record High Temperatures Bring

Forget May flowers, the heat brings on dreams of early planting!

But honestly, I'm not really ahead of schedule. I usually start my seedlings every April 15 (Tax Day) and transplant them outside around Memorial Day. Makes for easy remembering when to do it.

This year I didn't use my normal empty yogurt containers for my seedlings. Truth is we just didn't eat that much yogurt this winter. Instead I made those little planters out of newspaper that you mold around something cylindrical*. We'll see how that works out.

I'm a little apprehensive because they dry out faster than the yogurt containers, obviously. So I've been watering them twice a day instead of once to keep them moist--not saturated.

I did, however start setting up the empty pots with their dirt outside early this year.

I blame Basement Neighbor for my eagerness. (And to clarify, I like Basement Neighbor. He's a nice guy. He's not always trying to pry into our lives like certain neighbors above us.)

But before I show you why I blame him, we have to look at some past pictures of my Pot Garden in our backyard.

Here's the start of my pot garden in 2010, the first year we were at our post-Squirrel Gables apartment:

100_8871

Just some pots on the ground...nothing fancy.

Last year, in 2011, Basement Neighbor made me a little bench to get my pots off the ground--nothing fancy.

100_0639

But it was nice.

Last year I also had to haul a bunch of cinder blocks we used to have helping support our bed outside due to the Great Yicky Icky Infestation of 2011. Those I stacked up and had a few pots resting on.

This year, Basement Neighbor went all out!

100_1755

He took the cinder blocks we had out there, painted them, added some more boards and some levels to the stand and some pea gravel underneath--it looks amazing!

I've got all my regular pots set up and the stand at the right in the picture (with the boys' clamshells) will be where I put my big three pots--one for my potatoes, one for cucumber pickles, and one for pumpkins.

And yes, you read that right.

100_1756

That's Chunky's memorial plaque for his shrimp, Buba. (Pronounced the same if he spelled it like the traditional "Bubba") that passed away after living in his fish tank.

Anyway, if you've made it this far, here's the list of what I'll be growing in my 2012 pot garden if everything goes according to plan:

Potatoes
Pumpkins
Cucumbers (pickle variety)
Peas
Beans (actually that's Chunky growing beans)
Sunflowers
Lavender
Dill
Oregano
Chives
Tabasco peppers
Okra
Basil
Catnip
Forget Me Nots

And probably some kind of flowers and herbs that Chunky will pick out for me when his school does their annual herb and plant fundraiser in a few weeks.

Aside from the sweltering hot temperatures and sweating from places I didn't know I had--I can't wait for this growing season!!!



* I found the idea to do the seed pots this way on Pinterest. What a great timesuck! I don't mind it so much right now, as I'm on maternity leave and it makes for some easy one-handed browsing while I feed Baby Sister. If you're on there and don't follow me, look me up! I'd love to see what you're digging too.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger knottygnome said...

pinterest truly is a rabbit hole from which you can never emerge. it's weird how many of my RL friends and coworkers are into it.

love the bench setup. and the memorial too.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

Oh, Pinterest, the timesuck to end all timesucks... how I love pinterest :) If I cook/bake everything I pinned, I'd have to roll us out of the apartment next year!

9:24 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Thus is why I'm not on Pintrest! I love your new garden space! RIP Buba!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Wow! The new set-up looks awesome! Raising things up like that is such a good idea. I'm in the process of figuring out what things to grow in pots at our new place. Have you found things that don't work as well?

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nice neighbor! That looks like a really good set up!

RIP Buba!

Love, Mom

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Pinterest is good for that, I like it! Downstairs neighbor did a great job, how nice of him! Can't wait to see things start popping up at your place!

5:27 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

We're heading out this weekend to get the tomato plants and maybe a sweet banana pepper and some herbs. It's been a while since we gardened and I don't remember what did well in the yard. I know there will be no cukes, the beetles get them every time.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm looking forward to watching the pot garden's progress. No gardening for me this year, so I'm just ogling others. :)

12:14 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That looks awesome, and that was very generous of Basement neighbor!

Can't wait to see how your plants do. I see catnip is on the list - your cats should love that! My cat is crazy about dried catnip, but I've never tried to grow any for her.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I know I am commenting on an ancient post, but I was showing Andrew pics of your garden shelves this morning, trying to comvince him that we can do that in our backyard as well. Your neighbour did a great job of spiffifying it with the paint, too.

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home