Monday, April 09, 2012

Good Old Fashioned Weekend Wrap Up!

It's like I'm working again with the once-a-week-only-on-Monday post!

To my credit though, last week was spring break and Dr. Mad Scientist and Chunky were home all week. I kept Moochie out of daycare for two of the five days last week. Daycare makes you pay even for the days you don't show up, so I wasn't about to keep him home for five full days.

I'm (and I think Baby Sister* is too) enjoying the quiet today brings. I love my boys, but man they can be loud!

This weekend was awesome though.

On Friday, we dyed our Easter eggs, as we do every year.

016

017
Check out Dr. Mad Scientist's "vacation beard!"

022

On Saturday I went crazy and made three loaves of Italian Easter Bread using this recipe. I omitted the anise oil, didn't put sprinkles on top, and put a dyed raw egg in the dough. I also halved the recipe. Look at how much I got from just the half of the recipe! Imagine if I had baked the whole thing!

027

031

I gave one of the round loaves to Basement Neighbor (he's cool and not pushy-annoying).

Then I baked this for our Sunday Easter dessert.

033

I cheated though. I used a boxed yellow cake mix and basically just added the coconut and lemon juice. It turned out delish!

Finally, I made something that a coworker turned me on to--Italian Easter Meat Pie. She, or someone else brought this in last Easter to the office. It's basically a meat and cheese pie that Italians round these parts eat on Easter to break the Lenten no-meat fast with a bang.

When I posted about this on Facebook, people asked for the recipe. Here's what I learned about this dish--there really is no recipe. My coworker brought in her mom's "recipe" for me which was basically a list of the ingredients--but no measurements.

But that's how you know you've got a great family-heirloom quality dish!!!!

So here's how I did it.

023

First I gathered my meats. I use 4 oz of prosciutto, 2 of those ziploc containers of thin sliced ham, a package of hard salami and a package of cotto salami.

I diced up all the meats and mixed them together.

025
Mmmm...meat!!!

Next I added 8 oz of a shredded 3 cheese blend I found at the store. You could get away with using shredded Parmesan or mozzarella instead.

038

Next I added 15 ozs. of ricotta cheese (the original recipe from my coworker called for "basket cheese" which I rarely see for sale but is similar to ricotta), and two raw eggs and mixed everything together.

Now you can either make your own standard pie crust or cheat like I did and use a pre-made crust.

039

Press the meat, cheese, and egg mixture into the pie crust.

040

Put another pie crust on the top, slit it, and bake it for 1 hour at 325 degrees.

041

Enjoy your coronary meat pie warm or even cold!

Untitled

YUM!!!


*I think Baby Sister is going to be her blog name. Moochie has dubbed her this to the point where when his teachers at school have asked what his sister's name is--he replies "Baby Sister!" Ha ha!

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Wow, you had a busy weekend! No photo of Baby Sister in a frilly little Easter dress?

The meat pie looks delicious!

My dad was Italian (his parents came to the U.S. from Sicily as adults), and he used to make the most 9ncredible rigatoni with homemade sauce, meatballs, and neckbones for holidays/special occasions.

He never had a recipe, either. He just say that you put a little of this, and a little of that in.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Oops, typo! Meant to write "incredible".

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baby Sister is a good name for B 3.0!

Gee! You make me look like a shmuck!! I didn't do anything over the weekend!!

Love, Mom

2:32 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

That pie looks delicious! I LOVE cured meat! (I blame the Old Man for that trait.)

5:33 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

My posts have been few and far between since P as well. Hoily cholesterol on that pie, Batman! The poundcake looks yummy, though - may have to try that one.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Looks delish! Of course, there are different versions going by different names. I know this as Pizza Rustica! Here's a slightly different filling recipe you might be interested in!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/pizza-rustica-recipe/index.html

7:22 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

all your food looks so awesome. i love "baby sister"...perfect. glad you enjoy some quiet time....just you two girls ;)

9:48 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Ricotta pie is common around here at Easter but I didn't know it had meat in it (maybe it doesn't). It looks delicious but salty.

We have a local pizzaria that makes a stuffed pizza and one that they call Meat Filled. It has all of those meats plus Italian sausage and a bit of red sauce. It's yummy but very heavy.

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I had a feeling Moochie was going to be the one to name baby Sister :-)

That meat pie sounds good.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

OMG - that meat pie looks delicious and I about bit into my laptop looking at the bread!! YUMMY!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

That Easter bread looks amazing! I have a very traditional Greek friend and she always describes the most amazing sounding foods during their holidays.

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home